Should Sacramentals, Statues, & other Religious Articles be made by Catholics?

• Thread starter Thread starter WhiteDove
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WhiteDove

I just got back from a fun shopping visit at a Mexican store that I was told carries a lot of statues, and other religious articles. I ended up buying a few things. I did hesitate on the statuette of the Blessed Mother and another item because they were made in China. Somehow that seemed odd to me because it’s unlikely that a Catholic or even a Christian had anything to do with it. Of course, it did give me the inspiration for… another POLL. 🙂

WhiteDove, I am torn…two of the options appeal to me 🙂

I actually know some people who do religious carving (wood, stone, etc) and I like to think that it is enriching no matter what your religion to carve such objects. Art seems to me to be a way to draw people into the faith. Contemplating beauty is contemplating part of God, in a way.

I also have a rosary made by Christians in the holy land, so it was used to support them. Seems like a good idea to me.

There are Catholics in China so there’s a possibility that the statues/religious item is made by a Catholic.

Here in Canada you can buy dreamcatchers and other typical Native American items that’s made in China. My fiance who’s native Canadian get’s a kick out of all the “Native Americans/Canadians” in China making dreamcatchers.

He even got a “native” item from a Native friend. It had a little label stating that it was “made in China”.

I remember buying Muslim prayer rugs, framed Muslim prayers and Muslim prayerbeads when I was on pilgrimage (Hajj) in Mecca (14 years ago). The items were marked “made in Taiwan”. I have a hunch that it’s very few Muslims in Taiwan and that the items were made by people who did know very little about what they were making.

When it comes to any Catholic items, be it statues, rosaries or pictures, get them blessed as soon as possible.

I’ll have to look up the source, but there was a statue in Japan of the Lady of All Nations which is associated with miracles (although they might not yet be officially confirmed by the Church). The statue was carved by a Buddist for the Catholic convent.

Having said that, I do think that it is important for Catholics to support Catholic artists and should give some thought to buying religious art made by Catholics over those made by non-Catholics.

WhiteDove, this is a very interesting question! I have never really considered this before–it has never never occured to me! I think I would like to believe that our beautiful statues, Rosaries, etc are made at least by other Christians, but preferably by Catholics who would understand the true meanings behind what they are making. This is what is wonderful about religious orders making items for us to purchase in effort to support their orders. I purchase from them whenever I can. Now I think I will have a closer look at items I find in religious supply stores, however!

Peace be with you all,

I would, personally, prefer to purchase Religious Items from Religious Orders whom support themselves by their works and also blessing them and pray while making them. I think they would be better vessals of sacredness.

PS: Just my opinion.

Peace, Love and Blessings,

No, as long as they are beautiful representations and inspire us to holiness, what does it matter?
*I have friends who own such a factory and employ people of all faiths and races and produce high quality religious articles.🙂

I voted that no it doesn’t matter who made the article as long as it is beautiful and spiritually uplifting. However I do think it’s nice when the articles are made by religious communities - I like to know my dollars are going to support a monastic community rather than Mary Statues Inc. 🙂

I thought about this while I was helping unpack some items for our parish gift shop last Sunday after mass. I noticed the Divine Mercy images were made in China.
There are so many good sources for religious articles that are made in the US that you can make that choice if you want.
You can BE SURE - that it will be a superiour product then a factory product from China. Most of that stuff is pretty cheesy and cheapo.
I am less concerned about where a sacramental is made then I am about the quality of the product.
And, I do prefer handmade products from religious communities, or a craftsman who’s heart and soul went in to the item.

I prefer to buy items from religious orders. I have trouble buying items from a country that denies people the right to practice the faith.

I have no preference on statues or other furnishings. They are just things. But I would prefer my rosary and other items I use during prayer and devotion made by Catholics. I could be wrong, because these items still need to be blessed, but for instance I like it if I know where my rosary comes from. I keep buying nice rosaries but I just give them away and keep using my old apple seed rosary one of my uncles gave me many years ago. Come to think of it… I do not know where he got it for me. Oh well, there goes my theory. 😃 I think I will keep it and just keep repairing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back