Should we make Fr. Nelson Baker a saint for our times?

• Thread starter Thread starter Rosalinda
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rosalinda

Fr. Nelson Baker who is up for canonization sounds like a good candidate for the pro-life movement to adopt as a patron saint. His life showed great devotion to our Blessed Mother under the title Our Lady of Victories and what he was able to accomplish through her intercession was phenomenal. In Buffalo, New York he worked to provide homes and refuge to the poor, the abandoned, the orphans, unwed mothers and their infants from 1876-1927. He was known as the Padre of the Poor. His life story causes me to think pro-lifers would do well to adopt him as a powerful intercessor for our difficult times.
… Father Baker began to read in the local newspapers about the bodies of infants being found in different parts of the city, apparently abandoned by their mothers, who often were unmarried. At the same time, reports of thousands of infant bones being dredged up out of the Erie Canal horrified the humble priest. … Often times, rather than deal with the social and economic backlash, these women in crisis would hide their pregnancies and destroy their infants. Father Baker knew immediately that something must be done to save the lives of these innocent little children.

In 1906, Father Baker announced plans to construct the Our Lady of Victory Infant Home …
When his body was exhumed, sixty years after his death, three vials of his blood were found to be incorruptible. What do you think? One more miracle and he will be eligible for canonization. He would be the first American born priest to be made a saint. Only the third after Elizabeth Seton and Katharine Drexel.

ourladyofvictory.org/150th/150history2.html

Fr. Baker would make a wonderful saint for the pro-life cause. I think that nowdays many people know why our Lady is referred to as “Our Lady of Victory”.

I have been to the Basilica many times, on pilgrimages with my grandmother. Fr. Baker’s room (a small cell) is open for viewing. As a child the classic parental threat to misbehaving children in western NY was, “If you don’t straighten up you’ll go to Father Baker’s.” 😃 There are many stories of the healing of children by Father Baker’s intercession. The Basilica is breath-taking. Thank you for publicizing this.

I agree. PErsonally, being in Western New York, I am hoping to attend his canonization!

BTW - His remains have since been moved to the Basilica in Lackawanna, NY, just south of Buffalo, to remind people visiting or attending mass there to pray for his canonization. Fittingly, he was instrumental in seeing that the Basilica was built.

I had never heard of Father Baker until I saw a show a couple of days ago on EWTN about his life,hosted by one of my favorites, Father Benedict Groeschel! What a wonderful holy Priest he was and I would love to be able to visit the Basilica sometime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back