Sign of the Cross on the forehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nelka

New member
Does anybody know about making the Sign of the Cross on the forehead as quoted:
The early Church Fathers attested to the use of the sign of the cross. Tertullian (d. ca. 250) described the commonness of the sign of the cross: “In all our travels and movements, in all our coming in and going out, in putting on our shoes, at the bath, at the table, in lighting our candles, in lying down, in sitting down, whatever employment occupies us, we mark our foreheads with the sign of the cross” (De corona, 30).
Was this Cross an earlier version of the Cross we make on our bodies today or another one?

Thanks.
 
Does anybody know about making the Sign of the Cross on the forehead as quoted:

Was this Cross an earlier version of the Cross we make on our bodies today or another one?

Thanks.
Yes.

In the early Church for the sign of the cross they did a + on the forehead-- I still use this personally in addition to the common form now…

“Be the cross our seal, made with boldness by our fingers on our brow and in every thing; over the bread we eat and the cups we drink, in our comings and in goings; before our sleep, when we lie down and when we awake; when we are travelling, and when we are at rest”. St. Cyril of Jerusalem

And regarding the sign of the cross per se:

“Making the sign of the cross – as we will do during the blessing – means saying a visible and public “yes” to the One who died and rose for us, to God who in the humility and weakness of His love is the Almightly, stronger than all the power and intelligence of the world.”

-Pope Benedict XVI
Angelus
September 11, 2005

He also talks about it when he was Cardinal in the Spirit of the Liturgy…as a renewal of baptism…as a shield…etc…go read that chapter
 
And we still cross our foreheads (and our lips and our heart) at every Mass before the Gospel reading 🙂
 
One of our deacons does this to bless the faithful when greeting us.
 
At the rite of Baptism, the priest, parents, and godparents all make a cross on the child’s forehead. They mark the child for Christ.

I’ve often seen in our Hispanic community (myself included) parents mark their children’s foreheads when coming or going. Before my son gets out of the car in the morning, I trace the cross on his forehead and say “remember whose you are.”

I’ve heard others say “God bless you” or “God watch over you” or nothing at all.
 
Everyone I know does this as a greeting in our parish. Started by our beloved Monsignor.
Indeed, I often do this for my students.
 
Yes.

In the early Church for the sign of the cross they did a + on the forehead-- I still use this personally in addition to the common form now…

“Be the cross our seal, made with boldness by our fingers on our brow and in every thing; over the bread we eat and the cups we drink, in our comings and in goings; before our sleep, when we lie down and when we awake; when we are travelling, and when we are at rest”. St. Cyril of Jerusalem

And regarding the sign of the cross per se:

“Making the sign of the cross – as we will do during the blessing – means saying a visible and public “yes” to the One who died and rose for us, to God who in the humility and weakness of His love is the Almightly, stronger than all the power and intelligence of the world.”

-Pope Benedict XVI
Angelus
September 11, 2005

He also talks about it when he was Cardinal in the Spirit of the Liturgy…as a renewal of baptism…as a shield…etc…go read that chapter
is there a reason why it looks like a plus rather than more like a cross?
 
When we make the Sign of the Cross we receive a partial indulgence, do we receive one for this small Cross too?
 
Does anybody know about making the Sign of the Cross on the forehead as quoted:

Was this Cross an earlier version of the Cross we make on our bodies today or another one?

Thanks.
I know when I was instructed on how to pray the liturgy of the hours, I was told that when I say the Invitatory and say the words “Lord, open my lips and my mouth will proclaim your praise” I was told to trace a cross on my lips.

John
 
is there a reason why it looks like a plus rather than more like a cross?
Because that is what it was.

Not a “Latin cross” it was a +

Yes like a plus sign.

(and it is still used)

I use this myself for example at night I make the sign of cross in this ancient form on my forehead with holy water.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top