Sign of the Cross - question

• Thread starter Thread starter seek1st
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

seek1st

I have seen priests make the sign of the Cross during Mass with an extra gesture that I am curious about. I think it happens at the beginning and end of Mass since then is the only time that a priest makes a standard sign of the cross gesture - I believe the others are in a from of blessing for the congregation.

Anyway, I digress, the gesture includes touching a standard 4 points (head, lower chest and both shoulders) but closes with another touch to the heart or center of the chest. Has anyone seen this or know anything about it?

I asked our last assistant pastor why he did it and he didn’t know where it came from but was immitating older priests who he admired.

I’m pretty sure this is just a sign of personal devotion of some kind. At least, thats always what I’ve assumed.

Its like Hispanics and Italians who kiss their fingers after crossing themselves.

40.png
Apologia100:
Its like Hispanics and Italians who kiss their fingers after crossing themselves.
Interesting that you brought that up. I’m from an Italian family & all my relatives who still live in Italy do that, but we Americans don’t. It is indeed a sign of devotion, although none of my Italian friends & family seem to know exactly what it means. The best explanation I got was from my cousin from Rome: kissing the feet of Christ on the cross.

Could it be in Eucharistic Prayer I, where the priest stand up straight and crosses himself saying: “let us be filled with every grace and blessing?” I know I cross myself at this time as well. in a smaller way.🙂
BTW, to add to Apologia’s post on crossing on the lips, I do this as well. My first husband was Italian and I picked it up from him…still do it after 40 years.

Yeah, just an ethnic or local custom - one of the altar boys at my church does that, but no one else I’ve noticed (I’m in Poland).

In Spain I saw a young man make the sign of the cross in the standard way, then make a small sign of the cross over again on the same ‘points’ (forehead, chest, shoulders) then make a small sign on his lips and end by stretching his arm out in front of him to full length in a ‘thumbs up’ directed at the tabernacle.

Takes all kinds to make a (Catholic) world…👍

For a fascinating article on the history and variations of the sign of the cross, go to Catholic Exchange, here: catholicexchange.com/vm/index.asp?vm_id=6&art_id=23453

I have always kissed my fingers after making the sign of the Cross as a sign of devotion.

I live not far from a convent of a Dutch order and all the Sisters when making the sign of the Cross toss their fingers over one of their shoulders (can not remember which one) or why they do it :confused:

Probably to blind the devil behind 😃

Yours in the Spirit

Pious

40.png
Pious:
I live not far from a convent of a Dutch order and all the Sisters when making the sign of the Cross toss their fingers over one of their shoulders (can not remember which one) or why they do it :confused:

Probably to blind the devil behind 😃
Next time you get close, check for dandruff… Just a thought.😉

40.png
Nel:
Next time you get close, check for dandruff… Just a thought.😉
I like it 👍

But I do not think many of them have a lot of hair left, the youngest who is the Sister Superior is in her 80’s and several of the eldest have passed the 101 mark :eek:

Yours in the Spirit

Pious 😃

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back