Sign of the Cross

• Thread starter Thread starter Jlrami1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jlrami1

What is the correct way to have your right hand; when you sign the cross?🙂

There are several “correct” ways. Actually, churches have gone into schism over this, believe it or not.

Some people fold the ring and pinkie finger under the thumb and hold the index and middle fingers together, pointing upward. (3 fingers for the Trinity, two for the twofold nature of Christ)

Others do the opposite: clustering the thumb, index and ring fingers together (Trinity) while folding the ring and pinkie into the palm (twofold nature of Christ)

The Carthusians hold the hand in an old way (seen on icons of the Pantocrator, which is supposed to form the IHC monogram (beats, me; I can’t figure it – and a Carthusian showed me!). Look here: catholicstore.com/browseproducts/The-Pantocrator-Icon-7x9-In…html

You can simply sign yourself by touching with the middle finger, holding your hand comfortably.

When a Priest or Deacon signs the cross on the Gospel book, the hand is held flat open while the thumb traces the cross; he then makes the three crosses on his forehead, lips and breast with the hand still held flat open.

40.png
Jlrami1:
What is the correct way to have your right hand; when you sign the cross?🙂
That was a great question and a superb response.

The post by Mecygate was excellent, excellent, excellent!

If you should visit one of the Byzantine Catholic churches the preferred traditional method (which we will teach the young ones) would be this one:
Some people fold the ring and pinkie finger under the thumb and hold the index and middle fingers together, pointing upward. (3 fingers for the Trinity, two for the twofold nature of Christ)
Legend attributes this to Saint John the apostle from his time on Patmos, I would stress that this is a pious legend.

Yet Byzantines receive visitors all of the time and merely expect them to do what they are used to.

In Christ Always,
Michael

MercyGate wrote this :“When a Priest or Deacon signs the cross on the Gospel book, the hand is held flat open while the thumb traces the cross; he then makes the three crosses on his forehead, lips and breast with the hand still held flat open.”

This is wonderful. We didn’t know that it was supposed to be reserved for a Priest or a Deacon. I am in South Texas near the Mexican Border. 75% of the parishioners use this method.
1.When you sign your forehead, you say “Come into my mind”.
2.Upon signing your lips, you say,“Come into my words”
3.When signing your breast, you say,“Come into my heart”. Then you do the big one, saying “Thank You Lord”

I have asked where this came from. The best I gather is the Spanish Frairs & Priests brought it and it just migrated across the Southwest.:tiphat:

I was taught, when crossing forehead, lips, heart, “Lord be ever in my mind, upon my lips and in my heart” I’ve heard many different things, I wonder if there is something official somewhere?

40.png
alyssa:
I was taught, when crossing forehead, lips, heart, “Lord be ever in my mind, upon my lips and in my heart” I’ve heard many different things, I wonder if there is something official somewhere?
I have always heard it, Lord, open my mind, cleanse my lips and my heart.
maggiec

40.png
Exporter:
MercyGate wrote this :“When a Priest or Deacon signs the cross on the Gospel book, the hand is held flat open while the thumb traces the cross; he then makes the three crosses on his forehead, lips and breast with the hand still held flat open.”

This is wonderful. We didn’t know that it was supposed to be reserved for a Priest or a Deacon.
Note: I mentioned that the open hand is for making the sign on the BOOK.

Anybody can do that in making the sign of the cross on himself. This is a devotional: doesn’t require rubrics!

40.png
mercygate:
Others do the opposite: clustering the thumb, index and ring fingers together (Trinity) while folding the ring and pinkie into the palm (twofold nature of Christ)
Whoa, how do you DO that? You must be a contortionist (or prestidigitator) :confused:

Thanks for the question, Simple questions are good ones.

My 4 year old grandson asked me last month,“Where do the bugs go when it rains”.:tiphat:

40.png
caroljm36:
Whoa, how do you DO that? You must be a contortionist (or prestidigitator) :confused:
No. It’s easy. Read carefully and follow (wish I had a picture):

Place the tips of your first two fingers against your thumb. The ring and pinkie fingers naturally fold down toward the palm of the hand.

mercygate,

I believe the confusion stems from the fact that your original description gave two assignments to the ring finger (you obviously meant to include the thumb, index and middle fingers as part of the representation of the Trinity)

…anyway, take heart… I knew what you meant…

😉

Gotta admit, though… I did try it the way you originally wrote it (c’mon, now, fess up folks - I’ll bet lots of you tried it!)… caroljm36 is right - it is kinda tough to do!

😃

a pilgrim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back