Sin of ambition

• Thread starter Thread starter B777
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

B777

Hello all,

I found out about the sin of ambition but I am still not sure. I know that there are good ambitions and sinful ones but I am still not sure. I tried searching it up but different sources gave me different things.

Can anyone help clarify this sin?

Thanks

Hi! So ambition in the way that we usually use the word isn’t bad. Be ambitious to be a good person, get a good job. Ambition in a SINFUL way is to have an excessive need for power and wealth, and to strive to be better than your neighbor and have more than them. Does that make sense? I’d say it’s closely related to pride :woman_shrugging:t3:

There really aren’t good ambitions. That could be where your confusion lies.

It might be useful to reflect on the following passage:
Ambition is multifaceted. Ambition has the face of a saint and the face of a devil, the face of a man and the face of a woman, the face of concern and the face of indifference, the face of righteousness and the face of iniquity.

There exists ambition in the one who wants to get married, and also in that hardened old bachelor who abhors marriage.

There exists ambition in the one who aspires with infinite madness “to become someone, to show himself to others, to climb” and there exists ambition in the one who becomes an anchorite because he does not want anything from this world, and his only ambition is to reach Heaven, to become a liberated one, etc.

So, there exists mundane ambition and spiritual ambition. Sometimes ambition uses the mask of indifference or sacrifice.

There are those whose ambition does not set its sights this miserable wretched world, because their ambition aims for the world beyond…

There exist in the world many people whose only ambition is to not be ambitious…

The penitent who walks on his knees up to the temple and who, filled with faith, lashes his body, apparently has no ambition, since he even has the luxury of giving without asking anything from anyone in return; nonetheless, it is clear that a miracle, a cure, a healing for himself or for some relative, or his eternal salvation is his only ambition.

We admire the truly religious people, but we regret that they do not love their religion with true selflessness.

The holy religions, the sublime sects, orders, spiritual societies, etc., deserve our unselfish love.

Regrettably, to find someone who unselfishly loves his religion, school, sect, etc., is a great oddity in this world.

The entire world is filled with ambitions. Hitler hurled himself into war because of ambition.

All wars have their origin in fear and ambition, and the most serious problems of life have their origins in ambition.

Because of ambition, the entire world lives on fighting against the entire world; some fight against these others, thus, everybody fights against everybody else…

Schoolteachers must teach their students that no honest job deserves contempt. It is absurd to look disdainfully at a taxi driver, or at a salesperson of the clothing store, or at any peasant, or at a shoeshiner, etc. because every humble job is beautiful, every modest job is necessary in social life.

Understand: not all of us were born to be engineers, governors, presidents, doctors, lawyers, etc.

All jobs, all occupations, are needed in any social conglomerate; no honest job can ever be disdainful…

Love must replace ambition. Vocation is that which we really like, it is that profession which we happily fulfill because it pleases us and is what we love to do.

Regrettably, in modern life, people work without enjoyment because of ambition, because they perform jobs that do not correspond to their vocation. – Samael Aun Weor, Fundamental Education

It’s not the ambition in and of itself so much as the motives and the sins that it can lead to if you’re ego, (i.e. sense of “honor”) and/or money-hunger take control of you. This isn’t a Magisterial source, but the blogger explains it well. Do You Have the Vice of Ambition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back