Sin to see friends/family during pandemic?

• Thread starter Thread starter DeadliftSuperstar
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DeadliftSuperstar

Hello CAF!

Is it a sin to see friends/family during this COVID-19 situation?

In my county, there is a stay-at-home order in place. Here are a few different excerpts our judge’s order:

“All public or private gatherings of any number of people occurring outside a single household or living unit are prohibited, except as otherwise provided herein.”

"For purposes of this Order, individuals may leave their residence only to perform any of the following ‘Essential Activities’.
  1. To engage in activities or perform tasks essential to their health and safety, or to the health and safety of their family or household members…
  2. To engage in outdoor activity, provided the individuals comply with social distancing requirements of six feet…
  3. To care for a family member or pet or livestock in another household"
My fiancee (we are less than 4 months from our wedding!) has been coming over to my family’s house where I live to exercise during the afternoons and to occasionally enjoy a meal with my family throughout this time.

Is this sinful?

I initially justified this because it seemed sort of silly to me not to see each other when we are limiting our outings otherwise, and I put these visits under “essential to their health”, as in mental health.
But by the letter of our county judge’s orders, this… is possibly not permissible.

Thanks,

I would not be going from house to house for visiting. Sinfulness? We are to obey just laws and the law of charity. The essential activities do not seem to include social or romantic visits.

But by the letter of our county judge’s orders, this… is possibly not permissible.
No, it doesn’t seem to be permissible. This isn’t just about you, it’s about the safety of everyone with whom you come in contact.

I don’t know about sinful, but these guidelines are in place for a reason, and we should listen to them. If your county says you should not visit each other, then there’s no “possibly not permissible” about it, I’m afraid.
No, it doesn’t seem to be permissible. This isn’t just about you, it’s about the safety of everyone with whom you come in contact.
This.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the responses.

To be fair, neither one of us are visiting “house to house” as on of the posters said. These are by no means “romantic” visits. She comes over to exercise in the backyard - outside, which is permitted, or to eat a meal (which I can admit is a social gathering of 1 additional person).

Another question then. Our local church has kept the doors open for private prayer as long as common sense rules are followed. I’ve been using this opportunity to go pray in front of the Blessed Sacrament. My understanding is that this would count as a “nonessential” outing in the eyes of the State. Is this also a sin? Surely not…

I don’t know about your state, but in our state they’ve classed most religious activities as “human services,” and thus it’s allowed to go to them, provided social distancing is observed. We’ve been hearing confessions outdoors, and leaving our Church open during the day.

-Fr ACEGC

@DeadliftSuperstar

For me personally it would feel morally questionable to do those things right now and I would be going against my conscience so I wouldn’t do it, but there’s not going to be a completely objective answer to your question. You don’t seem to be doing anything overly reckless but there is still a little risk, and the way I see it we’re not going to be quarantined forever.

Last edited:
Is it a sin to share a meal? Doesn’t seem like it should be.
Is it prudent? Is it exercising charity?
If she lost her parents to the virus or you lost yours, then you would feel the gravity of the situation. This seemingly innocent gathering could have a huge impact on both families. It’s kind of rolling the dice betting that all will be well. It would be a hard thing to live with the rest of your life if it doesn’t.

I live in Texas, so our Church has remained open and everything.

My point in bringing that up was to sort of insinuate that I’m wondering if this is a spirit of the law type issue.

For example, I was on Skype with one of my professors for one of my classes the other week, and he asked if I was still able to see my fiancee. I said yes, but that I admitted that I wasn’t sure if it was allowed. He laughed and said something like “We aren’t Communists!”

Another idea: She is moving into an apartment by herself next week. She will need some help. Can my family and I help her? And would it be a sin to go to her apartment with my family to share a meal if she lives by herself?

I tend to be a letter of the law type of person, for better or for worse. So I’m just curious if I’m being scrupulous, or if this is a legitimate concern about actual sin.

Thanks,

I think it really depends. Both my state, and the adjacent state, where my brother and sister live, allow for visits to family. It’s always a sin to break a just law, but we’re not quite sure what the legal framework is for the stay-at-home orders. I think they’re good ideas, don’t get me wrong, but you’re not really sure if you’re breaking a law if you’re violating them.

We had a party planned at a restaurant for dd confirmation. Not only do I know if resturaunt will be open…the law here says no parties in the home…
So I may have to cancel all. I could have people park around the corner and be sneaky.
That to me is a sin

Katie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back