C
CarmelJerome
Guest
Hello everyone
I can understand that the jurisdiction of the Pope could develop over time, that this was a process in the Church consolidating all local Churches under the explicit and undisputable leadership of the Pope of Rome. As a process it could be tumultuous, with dissent here and there, I can accept such a vision. However as far as I know it’s not the jurisdiction of the Pope that was dogmatized in the Catholic Church, but his infallibility. And that’s a whole another problem to me, because I can’t see this truth universally accepted in the ancient Church. Once the other Churches agreed with the Bishop of Rome without questioning (“Peter has spoken!”), the other time they were rather eager to dispute the opinion of Rome. Of course someone can say that they were just disobedient, but if it were so, someone should have appeal to them reminding them that in such matters as faith one should not question the statement of the Pope as St. Peter’s successor. Here’s were I ask for help. As I said I can imagine the development of the jurisdiction of the Pope, however I cannot believe in the development of the doctrine of his infallibility when its not clear at all in the first millennium. It’s just does not appear as an objective truth (even if not defined) in that time. How do you, dear friends, see that historical matter? I can see usefulness of infallibility of the Pope, I can perheaps see Scriptural justification for it, but the history of the Church reveals to me a great gap between the possible Scriptural justification and the dogma from Vatican I. And I’d be more than happy if I could resolve that matter in my own mind and heart with your help![]()
Code:
I would look more to the attempts of the secular regimes in the Latin Church to subjugate the Church to the rulers' dema nds. The example of the Russian Church is an example of how the absence of universal authority, the patriarchs and ordinarily become helpless against the power of state - I'm thinking here of Peter the Great ' s reform and the resistance of the raskolniki. Early in the second millennium the West faced this problem; and without the clearer development then the political proceedings of the past two centuries would have reduced the Church as a whole to friends of nationalities. It's an index of this that the authoritative declaration of infallibility came when the Holy See lost her political power in Italy. Political pundits assumed that it was the end of the Catholic Church. The subsequent 150 years have demonstrate d that the State without God us the sum of apostasy & paganism: and the Church cannot have the integral spiritual coherence and power if multivalent.
I would very much appreciate any relevant help, my questions are sincere and although these are not the only ones, I think that these are ones that strike me the most.
In Christ
Neqtar
Code:
The devotion to the Sacred Heart arose in affirmation of Our Lord's Humanity, when theologians were abandoning His Mercy for harsh theories concerning grace and mankind were beginning to sprout. Christ gave us this new icon because the significance of the Incarnation was obscured. In the same way in our time, the Sacred Heart devotion has been extended by the image of Divine Mercy