Sinful? - "Thanks be to God

  • Thread starter Thread starter carn
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

carn

Guest
that mass is finally over and its 1 weeks till next sunday."

If mass is perceived as a chore with the usual feelings about chores (uh no, its sunday morning, i do not want to go, it would be much nicer to do something else, doesnt help, you have to go … uh, that was again not realy nice, but at least i did it and its some time till i have to do it again), is that sinful?

Is the sinfulness dependened upon whether the person in question actually has reasons, why going to mass is burdensome, instead of being just lazy?
 
It’s only sinful if you are not even making an effort to participate in/appriciate the Mass.
 
Most likely only venial, but you shouldn’t consider ONE HOUR A WEEK with God a chore. Would you consider a romantic dinner with your spouse a chore? Probably not.
 
you shouldn’t consider ONE HOUR A WEEK with God a chore. Would you consider a romantic dinner with your spouse a chore? Probably not.
Plus if you do it’s a clear sign something is wrong.
 
Remember that feelings are not sinful. They only become sinful as we act on them. There is much merit in resisting the feeling that says get a bit more sleep this morning and dragging oneself to mass.
 
Hi. I’m sorry you’re feeling that participating in Mass has become a chore. Would it help to dissect why? Maybe we can help you around this obstacle. Best wishes.
 
Try reading a well written book on the meaning of the mass (books by Scott Hahn and Matthew Kelly helped me). Also, there are several great speeches not only by Scott Hahn, but by Peter Kreeft, Steve Ray, and John Martignoni that go into depth on the mass, Eucharist, and the Blessed Mother. Many of these speeches are available on various Catholic websites as free (legal) downloads and have benefited me significantly. To be honest, I too felt bored at mass for most of my life, even with 11 years of Catholic school education. However, once I decided to take my faith seriously and truly investigate what we believe as Catholics and why, I now look forward to the mass each week. I once heard that you get out of mass what you put into it. Very true! God bless you.
 
Would you consider a romantic dinner with your spouse a chore? Probably not.
Your optimism is unfortunately not well placed, i do not always look forward towards romantic dinners (Thank God, they are not weekly, that would be a chore), dinner is ok, but romantic sometimes takes a lot of mental effort.

Considering that one poster said that feelings are never sinful, but only acts and another said its venial, how is this difference resolved?

@Qwestions
No need, i know mostly why and its mostly external factors, which are to some extent beyond my control.
 
that mass is finally over and its 1 weeks till next sunday."

If mass is perceived as a chore with the usual feelings about chores (uh no, its sunday morning, i do not want to go, it would be much nicer to do something else, doesnt help, you have to go … uh, that was again not realy nice, but at least i did it and its some time till i have to do it again), is that sinful?

Is the sinfulness dependened upon whether the person in question actually has reasons, why going to mass is burdensome, instead of being just lazy?
I think it depends on the interior state of the person.

For example, if a parent asks a child to do a chore, and the child doesn’t want to, but the child does it anyway, out of obedience and love of the parent, then even if the child doesn’t like the chore, the child is still doing the right thing.
If the child thinks, “I do not like this chore, I do not understand why I am being asked to do this chore, but I love my mom/dad, and I want to do right by them, so I will do this chore as best I can to please them,” then the child is making a heroic act of virtue.

On the other hand, if the child obeys purely out of obedience for fear of, “if I don’t do this chore, my parents will punish me, so I guess I will just suck it up and do it.” The child is still “doing” the right thing, but love is lacking. There is still some virtue in his obedience, but not nearly as great as the example above.

Then, if the child obeys and does the chore, but throughout the whole chore he is griping and complaining to himself, grumbles about his parents, does a mediocre job doing the chore, and doesn’t really care, and does it just to suffice, then there is pretty much no virtue in that. The child has gained nothing nor has he learned or grown in anything or any virtue. He is remaining “lukewarm.”

It doesn’t matter if you “enjoy” Mass or not, but it is an act of the will to obey out of love. You can think to yourself, “I’m really bored and don’t like this, but I am going to do everything in my power to make the best of it.” Even if you come back every week feeling the same, you are still gaining virtue.
If you go and while at Mass, deliberately let your mind wander and don’t try at all to put forth a little effort in participating, then are you really present at all?

An act of love from the will is not dependent upon good feelings. Over time, the good feelings can come or they may never come, but if the intention is good, then that is what matters.
 
There’s a thread up today of Fulton Sheen giving a homily about the Mass which is great. I have also listened to Scott Hahn’s “The Lamb’s Supper” and “Why Go To Mass: The Blood of the New Covenant” by Bishop Alexander Sample (Lighthouse Catholic Media).

When I learned what the Mass really was, I looked forward to it every week. I savor every second of it and anything I do in my life gets worked around Mass, not the other way around. I feel truly blessed to be Catholic. 🙂
 
Same feelings here. When I was younger I was bored with Masses too. Since I started believing seriously, I’ve really been perceiving it as the most important thing that happens to me on a given day.

I think the question whether it’s a sin or not is a minor issue. The important thing is exactly why you feel this way. After all going to Mass is all about the relationship with God - maybe there’s a problem there?
 
Hi, cam. Just wanted you to know I’m still praying for you and hope you’re feeling more positive. Sometimes things that feel as though they’re weighing us down stick around for far too long. Persevere, though, and they finally get better. Best wishes to you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top