Singing different responsorial Psalms than those in the published readings

  • Thread starter Thread starter milkbar
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

milkbar

Guest
Is this permitted?

It’s happened several times in my parish that we get through the first reading and then the choir starts up singing a completely different Psalm than the one in the missalette.

Just wondering if it’s a big deal…
 
There are some “seasonal” Psalms that can be used instead of the weekly ones. I’m not sure where to find them though…
 
My parish almost never uses the Psalm for that day. The reason I have been given: It is best that the Psalm by sung. If the cantor can’t sing/chant the Psalm, another is substituted.

But if you have a choir, I see no reason why the assigned Psalm can’t be chanted or sung.

From the GIRM
The Biblical Readings
  1. In the readings, the table of God’s word is prepared for the faithful, and the riches of the Bible are opened to them.61 Hence, it is preferable to maintain the arrangement of the biblical readings, by which light is shed on the unity of both Testaments and of salvation history. Moreover, it is unlawful to substitute other, non-biblical texts for the readings and responsorial Psalm, which contain the word of God.
[61]
The responsorial Psalm should correspond to each reading and should, as a rule, be taken from the Lectionary.
It is preferable that the responsorial Psalm be sung, at least as far as the people’s response is concerned. Hence, the psalmist, or the cantor of the Psalm, sings the verses of the Psalm from the ambo or another suitable place. The entire congregation remains seated and listens but, as a rule, takes part by singing the response, except when the Psalm is sung straight through without a response. In order, however, that the people may be able to sing the Psalm response more readily, texts of some responses and Psalms have been chosen for the various seasons of the year or for the various categories of Saints. These may be used in place of the text corresponding to the reading whenever the Psalm is sung. If the Psalm cannot be sung, then it should be recited in such a way that it is particularly suited to fostering meditation on the word of God.
In the dioceses of the United States of America, the following may also be sung in place of the Psalm assigned in the Lectionary for Mass: either the proper or seasonal antiphon and Psalm from the Lectionary, as found either in the Roman Gradual or Simple Gradual or in another musical setting; or an antiphon and Psalm from another collection of the psalms and antiphons, including psalms arranged in metrical form, providing that they have been approved by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops or the Diocesan Bishop. Songs or hymns may not be used in place of the responsorial Psalm.
Source

Hope that helps.
 
Is this permitted?

It’s happened several times in my parish that we get through the first reading and then the choir starts up singing a completely different Psalm than the one in the missalette.

Just wondering if it’s a big deal…
From the General Introduction to the Lectionary for Mass:
“b. Responsorial psalm and acclamation before the gospel
89. Among the chants between the readings, the psalm after the first reading is very important. As a rule the psalm to be used is the one assigned to the reading. But in the case of readings for the Common of Saints, ritual Masses, Masses for various needs and occasions, votive Masses, and Masses for the dead the choice is left up to the priest celebrating. He will base his choice on the principle of the pastoral benefit of those participating.
But to make it easier for the people to join in the response to the psalm, the Order of Readings lists certain other texts of psalms and responses that have been chosen according to the various seasons or classes of saints.Whenever the psalm is sung, these texts may replace the text corresponding to the reading.”
 
Is this permitted?

It’s happened several times in my parish that we get through the first reading and then the choir starts up singing a completely different Psalm than the one in the missalette.

Just wondering if it’s a big deal…
There are accepted substitutes. However use of these should be carefully considered when a Lectionary/ bible study is used in the parish or BOW is used with RCIA as the texts in these study materials assumes the people will hear the psalm included in the lectionary.
 
There are accepted substitutes. However use of these should be carefully considered when a Lectionary/ bible study is used in the parish or BOW is used with RCIA as the texts in these study materials assumes the people will hear the psalm included in the lectionary.
We have a weekly Scripture Study at my church - we basically never talk about the Psalm. I figure it’s because we all know it isn’t likely to be used - especially since the regular cantor is also a regular attender at Study. We do read it every week and we can talk about it, we just almost never do.
 
We have a weekly Scripture Study at my church - we basically never talk about the Psalm. I figure it’s because we all know it isn’t likely to be used - especially since the regular cantor is also a regular attender at Study. We do read it every week and we can talk about it, we just almost never do.
A priest suggested in a talk once that the response in the Responsorial Psalm hands over a key, this huge “hint” concerning the whole set of readings from Holy Scripture. Since talking to him, I read the readings the first time through in this order: Response, Gospel, 1st Reading, Responsorial Psalm, and finally the 2nd reading.

The 1st Reading can be thought of as the prefigurement of the Gospel: “In times past, God spoke in partial and various ways to our ancestors through the prophets…” (Heb. 1:1). Then the congregation, in the Responsorial Psalm, shouts back, as it were, “Ooo! Oooo! We know where this is going! We know where this is going! This has to do with our lives!! This is where we live! This is where we live!” This is said, not in our own words, but in words supplied by the Holy Spirit over the ages of God’s earlier revelations. To hear what the Responsorial Psalm says–that is, to hear it as a response how the 1st Reading prefigures the Gospel–is to hear it from the point of view of one who “gets it”, who “sees what is coming.”

The 2nd Reading, as often as not selected without any particular intended connection to the other readings, still very often lends an additional but unexpected connection. It is like that ingredient in a particularly fine dish that you just did not see coming. Still, because the “cuisine” is internally consistent, it does work.

Then comes the Gospel of Jesus Christ, the central Word towards which all the rest of God’s revelations have always pointed: "…in these last days, he spoke to us through a son, whom he made heir of all things and through whom he created the universe, who is the refulgence of his glory, the very imprint of his being, and who sustains all things by his mighty word. When he had accomplished purification from sins, he took his seat at the right hand of the Majesty on high, as far superior to the angels as the name he has inherited is more excellent than theirs." Hebrews 1:2-4

If you look at the readings that way, you can hardly help but see something that the psalm will say in illumination of the other readings. By the very nature of the psalms themselves, it is typically a very personal and heartfelt connection, too. If you talk about what you hear in the Psalms from that perspective, it may be that the cantor will begin to do the same, and you may even hear the Responsorial Psalm sung a lot more often.
 
My Parish always prints a handout with all the music for congregational singing. What I find special is that even then about 1/3 of the Psalms - either the translation or the music is different. For the life of me I cannot figure that one out. From time to time even the hymns are off. Go figure!

We generally have good music (so I know I shouldn’t complain), but NO WONDER THE CONGREGATION DOESN’T SING!!!
 
If you look at the readings that way, you can hardly help but see something that the psalm will say in illumination of the other readings. By the very nature of the psalms themselves, it is typically a very personal and heartfelt connection, too. If you talk about what you hear in the Psalms from that perspective, it may be that the cantor will begin to do the same, and you may even hear the Responsorial Psalm sung a lot more often.
Unfortunately our cantor is more worried about his inability to chant/sing than he is about the meaning others might get. That’s sounds much harsher than I mean. We do occasionally talk about the Psalm and it is, as you say, often very personal and meaningful. I have heard the cantor himself speak about the Psalm this way. But he is self-conscious in the manner of trying to chant or speak the Psalm and just can’t get over it - I know he feels very badly about being unable to. It is just difficult for him. I admit, if I were less chicken I could volunteer to sing/chant it with him - but I don’t. So I’m just as guilty.

Perhaps if he did look at it more from the “meaning it could give others” he would change. But I think he already knows and feels horrible about it. Indeed we have talked about how the readings are chosen and I have heard the cantor speak of his being uncomfortable and feeling guilty regarding the Psalm.

Thanks for all the info. though. I always like to learn more about how things are done. 👍
 
Unfortunately our cantor is more worried about his inability to chant/sing than he is about the meaning others might get. That’s sounds much harsher than I mean. We do occasionally talk about the Psalm and it is, as you say, often very personal and meaningful. I have heard the cantor himself speak about the Psalm this way. But he is self-conscious in the manner of trying to chant or speak the Psalm and just can’t get over it - I know he feels very badly about being unable to. It is just difficult for him. I admit, if I were less chicken I could volunteer to sing/chant it with him - but I don’t. So I’m just as guilty.

Perhaps if he did look at it more from the “meaning it could give others” he would change. But I think he already knows and feels horrible about it. Indeed we have talked about how the readings are chosen and I have heard the cantor speak of his being uncomfortable and feeling guilty regarding the Psalm.

Thanks for all the info. though. I always like to learn more about how things are done. 👍
If he got these things from the Psalm, he might at least choose a responsorial-based song based on the same Psalm as for the Mass that day. It would be a start.
 
I don’t know if the music for the daily Responsorial Psalms are available. I do know that the music for Sunday’s and other feast days, Holidays are readily available. I sing the Psalms at our church for Sunday and Saturday Vigil masses. There are times when the music and word syllables do not work well and minor adjustments need to made to make the Psalms flow metrically better and there are some musical arrangements for the response that I have questioned. I find that in most instances the Psalms aren’t that difficult and over time one can easily pic up the tone for the verses as various tones are used repeatedly throughout the seasons.
 
If he got these things from the Psalm, he might at least choose a responsorial-based song based on the same Psalm as for the Mass that day. It would be a start.
That’s true. I don’t know where he would find such, do you?
 
That’s true. I don’t know where he would find such, do you?
It would usually take a lucky coincidence, but of all the hymns out there that are based on a specific psalm, the option sometimes exists.
 
That’s true. I don’t know where he would find such, do you?
The hymnal my parish uses “Glory & Praise” contains all 150 Psalms in song. Yet we never sing the appropriate psalm appointed for that Sunday. I don’t understand why.
 
My Parish always prints a handout with all the music for congregational singing. What I find special is that even then about 1/3 of the Psalms - either the translation or the music is different. For the life of me I cannot figure that one out. From time to time even the hymns are off. Go figure!

!!!
the secretary has to type and copy these sheets during the week, she uses the info the music director gives her. If they have to change between say, Thursday afternoon and Sunday morning because–cantor who knows the psalm can’t make it, somebody lost the music, substitute organist or a dozen other reasons–they will fall back on something they know

we have the same problem in our residence parish where the lyrics are projected on a screen. projector is in the back, choir in the front, zero communication==interesting results.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top