Site listing differences between Catholic lectionary and the ecumenical denominational readings

  • Thread starter Thread starter Digitonomy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Digitonomy

Guest
Is there a source that lists the differences between the readings found in the Catholic lectionary and the lectionary readings often used by a number of other denominations like the Methodists?

I know they are often the same, but I’d be interested to find out what readings were considered Sunday-worthy enough to fill in the gaps when the Catholic lectionary readings were too particular to the Catholic feast days.
 
Is there a source that lists the differences between the readings found in the Catholic lectionary and the lectionary readings often used by a number of other denominations like the Methodists?

I know they are often the same, but I’d be interested to find out what readings were considered Sunday-worthy enough to fill in the gaps when the Catholic lectionary readings were too particular to the Catholic feast days.
The lectionary the Methodists use is also used by several other denominations, so if you can’t find the answer at a Methodist website you could try either Lutherans or perhaps Presbyterians and maybe Episcopalians.

Also, the lectionary for Methodists doesn’t hold the same weight or authority as it does for Catholics. My cousin, who is a Methodist minister, faithfully follows the readings each week and bases her sermons on those readings – as does the pastor at my parent’s church. The minister they had before their new one had little use for the lectionary and only occasionally used it.

On the occasionaly Sunday when I’ve been home visiting and have attended both Catholic and Methodist services I’ve noticed that many times the readings tend to overlap quite a bit, especially the NT readings. Sometimes it’s only a matter of one reading being a verse or two longer or starting or ending one later than the other one. I remember once where the OT reading in the Methodist lectionary seemed to go with the NT one much better than the one we heard at the Catholic mass, but then again that was just my opinion.

ChadS
 
Thank you, that’s almost exactly what I was looking for. I had forgotten the name: Revised Common Lectionary. I wish there was a site that had a simple listing of the Sunday readings found in the RCL but not in the Catholic lectionary, and vice versa (rather than having to compare each reading in that table week by week).

Anyway, here’s a good FAQ on the RCL for those interested.
 
Thank you, that’s almost exactly what I was looking for. I had forgotten the name: Revised Common Lectionary. I wish there was a site that had a simple listing of the Sunday readings found in the RCL but not in the Catholic lectionary, and vice versa (rather than having to compare each reading in that table week by week).

Anyway, here’s a good FAQ on the RCL for those interested.
To get the answers you want you sometimes have to do a little heavy lifting. The resources are out there for you to easily find what readings are done for each Sunday in the RCL and also for the Catholic lectionary. Lining the two up shouldn’t be difficult and figuring out what cycle each one is on should be just as easy.

ChadS
 
Sometimes it’s only a matter of one reading being a verse or two longer or starting or ending one later than the other one.
I did notice at that Lectionary.com site that the RCL readings are usually coherent and intact, in contrast to the Catholic lectionary where we “censor” various verses to make the reading more compact and to remove confusing allusions to earlier or later verses. E.g. in the Catholic lectionary this coming week, the psalm will be Psalm 32:1-2,5,7,11, and the second reading will be Galatians 2:16,19-21. The equivalent in the RCL will be Psalm 32 and Galatians 2:15-21.

Here are links to the scripture to see what was left out:
Psalm 32
Galatians 2

I think that makes sense, since many Protestant denominations have more time to devote to the Liturgy of the Word, since that’s essentially their entire service in many cases. Still, whenever I see the discontinuous verses in the missalette, I wonder what was left on the cutting room floor.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top