Sloth as laziness? And culpability for not working if severely mentally ill

• Thread starter Thread starter DrawNearToGod
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DrawNearToGod

Mods, i have been repeatedly told I am not to post requesting psychological help, but in this post I am in no way asking for mental health advice and I only mention my mental illness as it pertains to how responsible I am for not working. Which pertains to sin.

The deadly sin of sloth is defined by St. Thomas as “sorrow about spiritual good”. CCC says “acedia or spiritual sloth goes so far as to refuse the joy that comes from God and to be repelled by divine goodness”.

Now, where does plain laziness fit in?

I ask because I don’t currently work, both because
a) I am severely mentally ill and in the times I’ve tried to work it has been very difficult.
b) I am very lazy.

Wikipedia says that the state and habit of sloth is a mortal sin.

So, is my laziness leading to not working a mortal sin that I should confess?

I am troubled because it is a deeply ingrained habit that I don’t see improving unless over a long period of time.

My priest hinted at my work situation being “different” due to my illness. But how can I truly know what God sees?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Because I’m worried that I’m tricking myself into thinking that I’m not able to work. And because my Dad thinks I should work.

Yes, I have schizoaffective disorder and I take meds.

What if God thinks I can work but the doctor doesn’t?

Didn’t you tell us your priest already answered that question?

He was pretty vague about it, it’s more like he floated the idea that I didn’t need to work. I just want to know what God thinks.

I’m sorry, but you’re not going to find the answer to that question on an anonymous comments thread on the internet.

Everyone

I talked to my priest just now he says it doesn’t meet the knowledge of grave matter condition and the full consent condition so I don’t need to confess it.

Still going to try and fight laziness.

Thank you all for answering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back