Slowing Down, Appreciating our Gifts, & Perspective

  • Thread starter Thread starter Online_Knight
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Online_Knight

Guest
I could use thoughts and prayers…

About ten years ago, things were simpler in my life… and I was a more spiritual person. Like it has for so many others, life hit! I have become a father of three and have become even more busy in my professional career. Higher stress and less free/quiet time has taken their toll on my life. I find myself longing for the relationship that I once had with God. Lately, temptations have been tougher to resist and I find that I have lost perspective on a lot of things. Seeing the problems that others face and the blessings that I have make me long to live a better life.

I would appreciate the thoughts of others who have experienced a similar phase in life… and your prayers!

Bless you!
 
Hi!

How is your prayer life? Do you pray everyday, and you’re just not “feeling it”, or are you so busy that you can hardly find time for prayer?

If it’s the former, maybe you’re in a rut and you might look into a form of prayer that you haven’t tried before. A rosary, or Lectio Divina, or something.

If it’s the latter, maybe you can ask your wife to help you. Let her know that you need to get up fifteen minutes early to pray in the morning (just a suggestion!), or that you need to stop by the adoration chapel on your way home from work. Have her hold you accountable.

Peace!
 
I could use thoughts and prayers…

About ten years ago, things were simpler in my life… and I was a more spiritual person. Like it has for so many others, life hit! I have become a father of three and have become even more busy in my professional career. Higher stress and less free/quiet time has taken their toll on my life. I find myself longing for the relationship that I once had with God. Lately, temptations have been tougher to resist and I find that I have lost perspective on a lot of things. Seeing the problems that others face and the blessings that I have make me long to live a better life.

I would appreciate the thoughts of others who have experienced a similar phase in life… and your prayers!

Bless you!
Hi,

I know any high stress, demanding job can take a toll on a single person, and more with a father who has additional responsibilities. Depending on what you do, it can be tough to find a balance. My advice: pray every day, get up and move around a little. Sitting at a desk for hours is not good, especially as you get older. Spend time with your wife and plan things with her. Communications is so important. Have a good laugh, relax a little. Think of the good things. And kids. Tons of energy and a source of problems all in one.

And talk to God. Ask Him for His help, and be at peace. He knows what you’re going through. If you have a good Catholic friend, talk to him or her. Have other people drop by from time to time. God knows we have limits but He will give you strength when you need it. The way to deal with a greater sense of temptation is to think of good things during those moments. There are times at work when I take a break to read, for example. I like history. This helps keep me away from other things that could lead to sinful thoughts or actions.

For me, I was at a point where there was more of a balance, but God’s given me a different role recently. I wanted things to stay as they were but God made me understand that while I long to be closer to Him regarding certain things, that this new role is going to be my new way to serve Him. As one local priest said on Catholic Radio: “Stick with Jesus.” He knows you’re longing. He knows our hearts.

God bless you and your family,
Ed
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top