So many prayers, so little time

• Thread starter Thread starter Fizendell
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fizendell

I was wondering if some of you could offer some ideas or how you handle the many people and issues for which you feel called to pray.

We have family, friends, co-workers, classmates, local leaders of the Church, government, world, and for everyone to be called and believe.

Then we have issues - everything from surrendering our own hearts to God to asking the Holy Spirit to lead the conclave in the election of the next Pope.

How do we do it? We could truly be in prayer constantly.

Do you select certain people and issues each day? Do you simply list them off (I think of how a child prays… "Bless Mommy and Daddy and Grandma…) Do you pray specifically for each person? Do you feel you must consciously pray for each person/issue, or do you trust that God knows your heart and subconcious and accepts prayers not specifically uttered?

Any and all ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
=)
Fiz

Dear Fiz,

Yeah, I know what you’re saying. I’ve taken to
praying: “Lord, hear the unspoken cries of our
hearts.” This “covers” both my own needs and the
needs of those who currently would be helped by
my prayers.

Since God was with you when the person or
situation came to your mind, He already knows
of your intention to pray for all of these individuals.
The “unspoken cries of my heart” will be understood
by the Father.

Don’t exhaust your head and heart, OK? I think
God often takes the will for the deed, if you understand
what I’m saying.

Any “spectacular” situation will occur to you in
any case…like the tsunami catastrophe.
Or,
a quick: “God help him/her” when the situation
is brought to your attention also helps alot.

Hope this helps some,
reen12

I’ve come up with a new motto: “Inadequate,
and loving it.”:o

I have a list of intentions. I mention the ones I feel are most urgent, but I ask our Lady to use the prayers where she knows they are most needed. This way I know my prayers are going to ggod use.
Whether at work, or working around the house all this can be prayer. You can offer up a % for each intention. Or simply offer parts for each intention eg. The next hour is for…

Sometimes I’ll just write out a list of everything/one I want to pray for. I’ll cheat a bit and just say a generic prayer for the list; I figure God knows what I wrote.

Also, if I hear something or talk to someone I want to pray for, I’ll do it the next chance I get a moment I’m not talking or listening to someone.

I pray a lot when I work too. I’m a potter, so I get quite a bit of quiet time to myself.

Sometimes, if I’m feeling particularly overwhelmed with my list of intentions, I’ll just ask some Saints to pray for the things I don’t mention (God knows what’s in my heart and He’ll tell the Saints for me). I figure they’ve got eternity to do it, and I don’t. When I get to Heaven I’ll do the same for everyone else.

You can do a prayer journal with a schedule! One page can list the things you for daily. (family, other concerns) You can then schedule other things once a week (Turn to Monday and you pray for, say, the President and government leaders, on a Tuesday you could pray for another intention and so on).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back