B
brumano
Guest
As an Eastern Orthodox, I think it is incorrect to to consider the Orthodox and Catholic churches as two denominations. I view them as one church that has been in schism for a millennium and is currently working toward full communion.
There’s no doubt that we are the same church in our origins.The mutual excommunication was lifted in 1965 and confirmed by recent Popes and Ecumenical Patriarchs. The Orthodox and the Catholic churches share huge swaths of doctrine and liturgical practice.
I don’t think there’s anyway to truly reunify without acceptance on the part of the East of the Pope as the Primate of the Universal Church, and that would be a must particularly on infallible teachings but there would not coincidentally be Papal mandates forthcoming to change such things as Eastern Rites, or impose a rule of celibacy for priests (further than the rules already existing) or anything else that would create an insurmountable obstacle to unity.