Some news - and a person question

• Thread starter Thread starter Unfinished
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unfinished

Hello all,

So, here is the big news for me. After wrestling with the idea for a long time, I am almost positive I have a vocation to the priesthood. Now, I havn’t spoken with anyone about it yet because this is pretty recent (i.e. Today) It was a moment of grace, for sure. I was really in a daze and I finally said “Okay - i’ll go. Just tell me where”

While I have always felt drawn to being a secular priest because I love the idea of just “being a priest” in that capacity, my diocese has been known to be…a tad liberal. Our last Bishop said “he didn’t really get why we couldn’t ordain women” However, our new Bishop comes to us recently and is quite traditional, which is a Godsent.

But, on that note, the parishioners around here sometimes seem…more protestant (per say) than Catholic. And it worries me. My greatest fear of being a diocesan priest is being surrounded with these people. The staunt opposition I seem to dream about when trying to combat abuses. Even as a layman now, trying to correct a fellow Catholic often results with “Ah, it doesn’t matter.” My mother, a faithful Catholic, even refered to me as a “holy roller” because of my complete obedience in every matter. (That is a story for another day, but it made me quite sad to hear that)

So, because of my love of the Latin liturgy and language, I am drawn to the FSSP. The reason I seem to like them is because they are not a religious order. Their goal seems to be pastoral care and running parishes. Correct me if I am mistaken, I have only sent off for more information as of today.

I was hoping someone here has had some experience with a FSSP parish and could tell me about your experience. Or perhaps if someone else has looked into them before, you could tell me what you discovered. Thanks in advance.

I have done some research on the FSSP and I go to an FSSP Mass once a month (the only time a TLM is offered in my Diocese). They focus on parish work, and have a few schools (high school level). Their two seminaries are very traditional and disciplined and use St. Thomas Aquinas’ Summa Theologica as the basis for their theological formation (as was common before Vatican II). The FSSP is in good standing with the Holy See (Benedict XVI, before ascending to the throne of St. Peter, celebrated Mass with the FSSP).

I encourage you to look at both the FSSP and at becoming a Diocesan Priest. You are in much need at the Diocesan level! A priest who is willing to teach orthodoxy with compassion - you will be amazed at how many people you will get in your Parish if you do so!

My prayers are with you as you continue to struggle with which direction your Vocation should go!

Brenda V.

As a follow up question - what is the process of a Bishop granting an indult to celebrate the Latin Mass? Does he just have to approve it or must it go higher up?

As a follow up question - what is the process of a Bishop granting an indult to celebrate the Latin Mass? Does he just have to approve it or must it go higher up?
The Bishop has to approve it. Many Bishops today are hesitant to do so.

Hello all,

So, here is the big news for me. After wrestling with the idea for a long time, I am almost positive I have a vocation to the priesthood. Now, I havn’t spoken with anyone about it yet because this is pretty recent (i.e. Today) It was a moment of grace, for sure. I was really in a daze and I finally said “Okay - i’ll go. Just tell me where”

While I have always felt drawn to being a secular priest because I love the idea of just “being a priest” in that capacity, my diocese has been known to be…a tad liberal. Our last Bishop said “he didn’t really get why we couldn’t ordain women” However, our new Bishop comes to us recently and is quite traditional, which is a Godsent.

But, on that note, the parishioners around here sometimes seem…more protestant (per say) than Catholic. And it worries me. My greatest fear of being a diocesan priest is being surrounded with these people. The staunt opposition I seem to dream about when trying to combat abuses. Even as a layman now, trying to correct a fellow Catholic often results with “Ah, it doesn’t matter.” My mother, a faithful Catholic, even refered to me as a “holy roller” because of my complete obedience in every matter. (That is a story for another day, but it made me quite sad to hear that)

So, because of my love of the Latin liturgy and language, I am drawn to the FSSP. The reason I seem to like them is because they are not a religious order. Their goal seems to be pastoral care and running parishes. Correct me if I am mistaken, I have only sent off for more information as of today.

I was hoping someone here has had some experience with a FSSP parish and could tell me about your experience. Or perhaps if someone else has looked into them before, you could tell me what you discovered. Thanks in advance.
I attend the indult Latin Mass in Lexington, and our priest is an “associate” of the FSSP though he is actually a Franciscan. I have met a few FSSP priests when they’ve come down for various reasons (to celebrate Mass when Father Valentine is away or for other reasons) and they seemed like very solid, intelligent men. Many of them are quite young, too. I am a huge fan of the traditional Mass, so if I ever felt I were called to the priesthood the FSSP is the first order I would look into. (Unfortunately I can’t really tell you what one of their parishes is like; our Latin Mass Community here isn’t a parish and doesn’t really have a parish life–we actually have to pay another parish to use their church for Mass, and the people who are in the “Latin Mass community” are just the people who show up for Mass and get on the mailing list).

There are some downsides about being an FSSP priest, though, mainly the fact that you would only be ministering to traditional Catholics and wouldn’t be able to really have any influence outside of traditionalist circles; although there is a big need for traditional priests to celebrate the Latin Mass.

There are some other orders that celebrate the Tridentine Mass other than the FSSP you could look into as well, such as the Institute of Christ the King and the Society of St. John Cantius in Chicago.

If you would be willing to look into an order that celebrates the Novus Ordo, but is still completely solid and orthodox and traditional in many of their practices, I highly encourage you to look into the Fathers of Mercy in Kentucky. I have met many of the Fathers of Mercy, I know several of the priests personally and I know a guy who just took his vows as a brother, and I cannot say enough good things about this order. Their main charism is going around on parish missions (mostly to rural parishes) and preaching about the sacraments but they do other wonderful things as well. Request an information packet from their website and see what you think!
www.fathersofmercy.com

And I know what you mean about your diocese…our diocese was very liberal and homosexual-run a few years ago, but now we have a new bishop and things are starting to slowly turn around. This seems to be the trend throughout the Church.

Anima Christi brought up an interesting order, the Society of Saint John Cantius. I am currently looking into them. The CRSJC is an Order of Canons Regular under the Augustinian Rule that celebrates both the Novus Ordo and Tridentine (and there has been talk of the Byzantine Divine Liturgy too). Their Novus Ordo is celebrated with reverance and traditional aspects (Latin, Gregorian Chant, Communion Rail, Ad Orientem Altar, traditional vestments, incense, ect). They are big on promoting Catholic culture and heritage through sacred art, sacred music (their Masses are supposed to be a treat for the ears), Catholic morality, Catholic family life, ect.

Their motto says it all: “Instaurare Sacra” (Restoration of the Sacred).

societycantius.org/SSJC-Home.htm

Anima Christi brought up an interesting order, the Society of Saint John Cantius. I am currently looking into them. The CRSJC is an Order of Canons Regular under the Augustinian Rule that celebrates both the Novus Ordo and Tridentine (and there has been talk of the Byzantine Divine Liturgy too). Their Novus Ordo is celebrated with reverance and traditional aspects (Latin, Gregorian Chant, Communion Rail, Ad Orientem Altar, traditional vestments, incense, ect). They are big on promoting Catholic culture and heritage through sacred art, sacred music (their Masses are supposed to be a treat for the ears), Catholic morality, Catholic family life, ect.

Their motto says it all: “Instaurare Sacra” (Restoration of the Sacred).

societycantius.org/SSJC-Home.htm
One only has to wait for some time to see if they get an ‘upgrade’ from being of Diocesan Right to being of Pontifical Right. The change from being SSJC to CRSJC is an indication of abit more permanance.

One only has to wait for some time to see if they get an ‘upgrade’ from being of Diocesan Right to being of Pontifical Right. The change from being SSJC to CRSJC is an indication of abit more permanance.
What I’m curious about is that since they are of Diocesan Right, will they allow me (someone from a whole other country) to join their order :confused:

What I’m curious about is that since they are of Diocesan Right, will they allow me (someone from a whole other country) to join their order :confused:
I think it should be allowed, but you can only operate in that Diocese.

I think it should be allowed, but you can only operate in that Diocese.
Wow. Late last night I filled out an application at vocationplacement.org just to have a look at some different orders and whatnot, and this morning they called me. By noon I had about 30 different orders in my email that might interest me, and a few of them have already contacted me. Kind of overwhelming!

Edit: Oh, and I am going talk to the diocese vocations director hopefully tomorrow. 😃

Wow. Late last night I filled out an application at vocationplacement.org just to have a look at some different orders and whatnot, and this morning they called me. By noon I had about 30 different orders in my email that might interest me, and a few of them have already contacted me. Kind of overwhelming!

Edit: Oh, and I am going talk to the diocese vocations director hopefully tomorrow. 😃
St. John Vianney, the partron of Diocesan Priests, be with Unfinished to help him make the right decision in which direction his vocation should go.

Hail Mary Full of Grace, the Lord is with thee, Blessed are thou among woman and blessed is the fruit if thy womb Jesus. Holy Mary Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death.

Mary, hold Unfinished’s hand as he talks to the Vocations director. Give him a mothers comfort as he tests new waters in his life. Amen.

Brenda V.

I think it is so awesome that you are heeding God’s call for you to become a priest…words cannot express my enthusiasm for your decision! I wish you all of God’s best!🙂

Unfinished,

I love your screen name “Unfinished.”

My priest is orthodox, and when he first came to our parish, the parishioners didn’t quite know what to make of him. The reverence, the homilies! He talked about purgatory! He actually talked about marriage being open to children! But guess what? He is so respected and admired, and I think he is swinging the parish into solid orthodoxy. I think most Catholics, while they may not agree with everything the Church teaches, appreciates a priest who does.

Please seriously consider being a secular priest. We parishoners need more orthodox priests.

Hello all,

You may elect, if you have lived in previous dioceses, to serve in one of them, with the permission of your current bishop and the one which you wish to transfer. That being said, know that your role, as priest, is to teach the articles of faith to your parishioners, if that is your assigned ministry, not to learn it from them. If not you, then who will reveal and witness to them? I will pray for you and your ministry. Consider a possible calling to the FSSP or other orthodox Catholic orders/dioceses.

fssp.org/en/

Wow thats amazing! You will be in my prayers. I am dating a very devout catholic man and we have had a talk before, kind of recently about him wanting to serve the church. Me, being a protestant will never understand why you guys would give up the married the life. I love him a lot and the idea makes me kind of jealous in a weird way. How did you know that you had a calling to be a priest? Do you not have the need to get married in your heart? Do you have any advice?

Wow thats amazing! You will be in my prayers. I am dating a very devout catholic man and we have had a talk before, kind of recently about him wanting to serve the church. Me, being a protestant will never understand why you guys would give up the married the life. I love him a lot and the idea makes me kind of jealous in a weird way. How did you know that you had a calling to be a priest? Do you not have the need to get married in your heart? Do you have any advice?
Well, I actually broke up with my girlfriend to persure this call. And yes, I have a desire to be married. And I probably might of married her some day in the future.

I can’t explain how it happened. It began one day in church (When I was still going to daily Mass because I wasn’t in school yet) the idea kind of poped into my head. It really sounded like this.

“Why don’t you become a priest?”

…“Yeah…I could do that.”

Then I brushed it off for a few months, but God didn’t leave me alone about it. Really, it got to the point last week where I went. “Okay!”

That is about the best way I can explain it. To coin a term I hear Protestants say often, have you ever felt that God has just laid something upon your heart? You pray 10 times a day and just keep getting the same answer…even if it isn’t the one you want?

Scripture says “Take delight in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart."(Ps. 37:4).

But God cheats. He changes the desires of your heart, THEN he gives you those new desires.

So, my desire now is to follow God how I believe he has layed out for me. And that includes giving up marriage. Even though I don’t want to give up marriage, so be it. It is the least I can do to thank Him for what His Son did for me.

Do not be jealous. You should never marry a man who loves you more than God. And a man who always puts God first in his life will naturally feel his heart strings tug at the priesthood sooner or later. But that is where discernment comes in.

Best advice I can offer is just listen to what he has to say about it without trying to change his mind in either direction. Discerning is quite difficult. Be thankful he was honest with you up front instead of hiding it from you for a year, then out of the blue saying “I’m going to be a priest!”

I know it may be difficult waiting around while he figures things out, but it is a very hard internal power struggle…so to speak. Just be patient with him if he doesn’t have all of the answers. One guy came to the montly discernment groups in the diocese for a year and then left because he decided he would rather marry his girlfriend. Others, like myself, break up with them to become priests. So I can’t say what he will do.

Thank you for the prayers, you’ll be in mine.

Edit: Oh, and there is always the option of being a permanant deacon later in life. 😛

Would you ever go back to her… if this isnt your call? You sound so confident? What do you mean by deacon?

Would you ever go back to her… if this isnt your call? You sound so confident? What do you mean by deacon?
I think I am at the point now where if I don’t at least go to seminary and try, I will never be happy. I feel it so strongly that even in the days before we broke up I felt a bit of relief that I would finally be able to follow God.

Would I go back to her? Possibly. It depends on where we are in our lives when I figure it out. But right now I feel fairly confident that I am following the Lord’s will.

A deacon is someone who serves in the church. They take Holy Orders but can also be married. You have to be 25 years old if you are unmarried, 35 years old if you are married. They usually assist the priest during Mass and with other things like baptism prep classes. I’m sure your boyfriend could tell you all about what a deacon does. That was always kind of my “cop out” idea. I figured if I got married, at least I could be a deacon. But I was just fooling myself. Some men, however, after they are married find they have a calling to become a deacon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back