Some personal questions concerning asceticism

• Thread starter Thread starter Madaglan
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Madaglan

I have a few questions concerning the ascetic life. To my understanding, every Christian should live, not only in moderation, but in free self-abnegation. The Christian should give up the things of this world in hopes of better treasures in heaven. Some of the greatest Catholic saints are self-flaggellants, are those who rolled around half-naked in snow, who prostrated themselves for hours on end before a crucifix, who constantly wore hair-shirts, who slept only 2 hours a day, etc. Now, many Catholics today might say that such denying of self is not Christian, but I think that it can be shown that this is indeed the Catholic tradition, and self-abnegation can be seen in the early Church, and more especially with the emergence of the Desert Fathers.

The problem I have is that I feel guilty for not being this ascetic. I feel that I’m somehow not Christian enough because I actually enjoy many aspects of life, although in moderation. I thank God for the food and opportunities that he gives me, and I enjoy them, but I do not refuse them saying, as I presume a strict monk might, “I refuse these for your sake, God.” At times I feel like I’m a glutton of pleasure even if enjoy something in the slightest. Does anybody else have this predicament?

I suppose a related problem is that presently I am having a number of health and other issues. I am often down and I feel like God wills that I should constantly feel down, since pleasure is evil and leads to sin. At the same time, I feel that pleasure lifts my mood and makes me happier and more aware of reality and open to God. To me, it seems naturally Christian that I should enjoy that which God places in my path. I can understand the great devotion that saints have in subduing their bodies and passions, but I know that, when I even try something close to that, in makes me more mentally disturbed and despairing than before. In my case, should I more or less ignore the ascetic saints for now and focus on feeling better? Or, should I glory in my sufferings although I really, deep down, desire to be healthy and happy? Should I listen more to the Health and Wealth crowd or to the SSPX crowd? Or is there a healthy middle position which is Catholic and would fit my situation?

I was talking about a similar topic last night…I want to talk with you about this, but I have a meeting…I will be back in about 20-30 minutes.

40.png
Madaglan:
I have a few questions concerning the ascetic life. To my understanding, every Christian should live, not only in moderation, but in free self-abnegation. The Christian should give up the things of this world in hopes of better treasures in heaven. Some of the greatest Catholic saints have been those who self-flaggelated themselves, who rolled around half-naked in snow, who prostrated themselves for hours on end before a crucifix, who constantly wore hair-shirts, who slept only 2 hours a day, etc. Now, many Catholics today might say that such denying of self is not Christian, but I think that it can be shown that this is indeed the Catholic tradition, and self-abnegation can be seen in the early Church, and more especially with the emergence of the Desert Fathers.

The problem I have is that I feel guilty for not being this ascetic. I feel that I’m somehow not Christian because I actually enjoy many aspects of life, although in moderation. I thank God for the food and opportunities that he gives me, and I enjoy them, but I do not refuse them saying, as I presume a monk might, “I refuse these for your sake, God.” At times I feel like I’m a glutton of pleasure even if enjoy something in the slightest. Does anybody else have this predicament?

I suppose a related problem is that presently I am having a number of health and other issues. I am often down and I feel like God wills that I should constantly feel down, since pleasure is evil and leads to sin. At the same time, I feel that pleasure lifts my mood and makes me happier and more aware of reality and open to God. In my case, should I more or less ignore the ascetic saints for now and focus on feeling better? Or, should I glory in my sufferings although I really, deep down, desire to be healthy and happy? Should I listen more to the Health and Wealth crowd or to the SSPX crowd? Or is there a healthy middle position which is Catholic and would fit my situation?
Do you feel drawn to ascetical practice – as: do you believe you may be called by God to live a more ascetical life for the good of your own soul and for the good of the Church and of the whole world? You seem to be wondering how to discern the authenticity of this attraction and looking for help in achieving balance.

You might look here: www.penitents.org This is a Church-approved private association of the faithful which lives quite an intense rule of life under strong spiritual direction. Balancing asceticism is always at the forefront of our spiritual endeavors, and we are all required to have a spiritual director after the first year of formation. You may PM me also.

I think this is a situation where a spiritual director would be a good idea. Many saints had them. They help a person determine what is of God, for God and pleasing to God, and what is personal glorification, psychologically problematical degradation etc. By providing accountability and discipline they can help people stay on a godly path.

You can talk to your priest about finding one, or contact a local convent or monastary, or your bishops office for help in locating a director.

Best to you,

cheddar

40.png
mercygate:
Do you feel drawn to ascetical practice – as: do you believe you may be called by God to live a more ascetical life for the good of your own soul and for the good of the Church and of the whole world? You seem to be wondering how to discern the authenticity of this attraction and looking for help in achieving balance.

You might look here: www.penitents.org This is a Church-approved private association of the faithful which lives quite an intense rule of life under strong spiritual direction. Balancing asceticism is always at the forefront of our spiritual endeavors, and we are all required to have a spiritual director after the first year of formation. You may PM me also.
Thanks for the site, MG, it’s great and seems to be just what the doctor ordered! 😉

The Christian should give up the things of this world in hopes of better treasures in heaven.
First please read #1828 of the Catechism:
scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s1c1a7.htm#II

Do not take a mercenary attitude toward asceticism. Pray for help to me more ascetic. Receive some spirtual guidance if you feel called to be more ascetic.

Start off slow. Instead of coke with a value meal, order a sprite. Eat pasta without sprinkling on cheese. Forgo a dessert, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back