Some questions about Eastern Catholicism and Orthodox Church

• Thread starter Thread starter silvergrasshopp
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

silvergrasshopp

Hi, could anyone explain briefly:
  1. In an Orthodox church, is there a tabernacle and where is it located? Is it the same in an Eastern Catholic church?
  2. Are Orthodox saints recognized by Catholics as true saints? Can a Catholic venerate their relics?
    Thank you very much.

Last edited:
  1. Yes. The altar.
  2. I don’t know, but I’d guess St. Seraphim of Sarov, as remarks were made by the Pope as to him being a saint, iirc.
ETA: New reserve sacrament is made every year and placed in a tabernacle that is on the altar at all times. It is consumed during Holy Week, when new reserve sacrament is made for the year.

Last edited:
In an Orthodox church, is there a tabernacle and where is it located? Is it the same in an Eastern Catholic church?
On the alter.
Are Orthodox saints recognized by Catholics as true saints? Can a Catholic venerate their relics?
Many Eastern Catholics venerate Orthodox saints. St Gregory Palamas is venerated on the second Sunday of Great Lent in the Eastern Catholic Churches.

ZP

ETA: New reserve sacrament is made every year and placed in a tabernacle that is on the altar at all times. It is consumed during Holy Week, when new reserve sacrament is made for the year.
Do you mean that the Blessed Sacrament/Mystery sits there for a year? How does It not go stale or corrupt? Is It ever replenished during the year?

And is It just the Body, just the Blood, or both?

Is It ever venerated? Prayed to? Do they do Benediction?

Do you mean that the Blessed Sacrament/Mystery sits there for a year? How does It not go stale or corrupt? Is It ever replenished during the year?
Generally, yes, a very small particle of consecrated bread is held in reserve. In my parish it’s small enough that it dries out quickly and is not at risk of going stale. My understanding is that only use would be in some sort of emergency, so it would be replenished if used.
Is It ever venerated? Prayed to? Do they do Benediction?
I can’t speak for Eastern Catholics, but the Orthodox have no tradition of venerating the Eucharist (outside of the respect given in communing), nor of a Benediction service.

Do the Orthodox receive communion at the time of death (what the RCC calls “viaticum”), if that death can be foreseen? If not, what kind of emergency would the reserved sacrament be for?

Do the Orthodox receive communion at the time of death (what the RCC calls “viaticum”), if that death can be foreseen? If not, what kind of emergency would the reserved sacrament be for?
In so far as it is possible, yes, we would try confess and receive the Eucharist if death is forseen. Priests also have a communion kit they carry that also have a small particle of the Eucharist for such needs.

There are likely additional reasons a small particle of the Eucharist is held in reserve, but I don’t know what those reasons are.

there is a certain inexplicable eastern behavior on this.

Understand that we fast from the Divine Liturgy on weekdays during Great Lent. As this is kind of rough on us, we mitigate this with pre-sanctified liturgies on Wednesday and Friday.

We reserve the host, and add it to blessed, not consecrated, wine for Communion.

Left for a couple of days, the leavened bread used will be stale on its own. Some priests, though, take it a step further and use a heat lamp or hair drier 😱😲:roll_eyes:

Yes, there’s the old RC things about Sister Mary Holy Water glaring and asking, “Are you chewing God?” having grown up with that in the background, it makes reconsecrated kind of tough . . . even with a priest that doesn’t take it to that degree, if you don’t chew, it’s going to take minutes for It to dissolve . . .
I can’t speak for Eastern Catholics, but the Orthodox have no tradition of venerating the Eucharist (outside of the respect given in communing), nor of a Benediction service.
Our priest actually addressed this a couple of weeks ago.

He had asked outright why we don’t have a benediction service . . . it’s because it is an integral part of the Divine Liturgy; it would make no sense to have this small fractional repeat . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back