Some stuff on infant baptism

  • Thread starter Thread starter montanaman
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
JesusfMadrid had no quotes that forbid infant baptism. What gets me is that we have lots of explicit evidence of infant baptism in the Church long before the canonization of the books that were deemed to belong in the New Testament.

So, if JesusfMadrid thinks that these people are a bunch of heretics who miraculously managed to erase all history of controversy from the “new” practice of infant baptism, why doesn’t he throw his Bible in the trash?

Instead, the biggest controversy on the matter we find is how many days to wait for bapism after birth!:

In fact, the only reported controversy on the subject was a third-century debate whether or not to delay baptism until the eighth day after birth, like its Old Testament equivalent, circumcision! (See quotation from Cyprian, below; compare Leviticus 12:2–3.)
Shucks. I thought JesusforMadrid had a library of first century Early Christian Fathers that nobody else knew about. :whistle:
 
Yes. If memory serves, he was not insulting or mean-spirited. I do not ever recall him being treated badly, but then again, I was not involved in all of his discussions. I suppose it is possible that he was overwhelmed with truth. And sometimes the truth makes the heart ache. If he was treated badly, I for one would like to ask his forgiveness on behalf of those who may have wronged him.
Mickey, you are/were always cool to me. I have great respect for you. May you be blessed as you have blessed me.
I don’t wish to debate IB here. I stumbled on this post when I googled our hang out.
I stopped coming here because this forum is not really open to discussion. Whereas most of the folks here are wonderful Christians, there are a few who talk down to dissenting beliefs in an attempt to “convert” us. They don’t even want to entertain anyone who does not believe what they do. What it does is push me away from whatever they are selling.

There is this assumption that we are too stupid/ignorant or stubborn to see the truth right in front of us. The assumption is that we’ve not researched and prayed about the issue of infant baptism or that we are ignoring some evidence that’s right in front of us. Believe me, it’s not something that is “natural” for me to discard growing up as a Catholic. Years of tradition and emotion about seeing a baby damned to hell is difficult to overcome. But we have searched from the time of Christ and the Apostles and can’t reconcile IB.

Some would label us as “denying the truth”. So be it. We have no motives to purposely deny IB. Do people think we do it to hack off our brothers with differen’t beliefs? What motive do we have to protest the protestants like Luther?
I would only ask that they respect our beliefs and that we feel very much in possession of the truth. I’m not going to bash other’s faith and beliefs, but would hope for the same.
I don’t care if a billion people disagree with me, my faith should not be based on a popularity contest or I’d be Muslim.

As for MM, he’s the coolest Catholic I’ve even known. He walks the walk and represents Christ like I only wish I could. He’s taught me through grace and civility many aspects of Catholicism that I misunderstood. A great apologist and an example for you all. This is how you shine Christ’s light.

Pax vobiscum
 
I would only ask that they respect our beliefs
Yes. Everyone should respect one another. Sometimes we get over zealous and the conversation descends into a place that lacks charity. I have been learning to love my Christian (non-Catholic) bretheren on a higher level of charity–and believe it or not–this forum has helped me! Infant baptism is usually a subject near and dear to my heart. I feel very, very strongly about the necessity for infants to be baptized. I know that you have heard all of the debates, so I will not rehash things. I can only say that I have witnessed the change in an infant’s eyes’ after baptism (I cannot explain this). I can see the difference in the demeanor of a child who has been baptized and one who has not. In my own heart, I’m abslotuely sure that Christ would not want baptism to be withheld from His precious babies. It is something that speaks truth to my heart.

Peace to you,
Mickey
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top