someone you know

  • Thread starter Thread starter cookiedog
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
My family is torn, my heart aches, nothing or no one can help, for God knows that I have tried. Prayer and faith in Jesus Christ, almighty is all I have. It’s hard to live this way, my wife, her mother can not hold back the tears and I can not rest or sit idly by and do nothing.
It’s my daughter that troubles me, for nearly two years she has not spoken a word to any of her family.
I think that her mental health is affecting her good judgment.

She is displaying the following symptoms’, but can function in society (college) as if everything fine (no one sees danger), receives good grades, etc:

• fears of abandonment
• extreme mood swings
• difficulty in relationships
• unstable self-image
• difficulty managing emotions
• impulsive behavior
• self-injuring acts
• suicidal ideation
• transient psychotic episode

the worst part is that she is over the legal age ,so I have no recourse, whatsoever to so much as send a greeting card for the holidays.
I’m not a specialist, and I could be wrong (forgive me if I am), but symptoms point to bipolar, especially extreme mood swings and difficulty managing emotions, and broad range of emotional states from psychosis to suicidal ideation. With mania you get increased reckless and impulsive behaviors, psychosis, distractibility, hostility. With depression, thoughts of death or suicide, attempting suicide, difficulty concentrating and making decisions. There are many more symptoms. Late onset bipolar usually begins in women in early teens to mid-twenties. Your daughter should see an MD asap who can maybe refer her to a psychiatrist.

H
 
Will continue to pray for the healing and protection of your daughter and that you and your wife have peace in this storm.
 
Please pray for understanding to enlighten us (my family), this Christmas.
:blessyou:
 
I’ve run into “others” with similar stories and I’m starting to think maybe this kind of thing is fairly common.

i don’t know, any thoughts?
YES!!! It is not the majority of kids this age, but there is a big enough minority.
 
I’m not a specialist, and I could be wrong (forgive me if I am), but symptoms point to bipolar, especially extreme mood swings and difficulty managing emotions, and broad range of emotional states from psychosis to suicidal ideation. With mania you get increased reckless and impulsive behaviors, psychosis, distractibility, hostility. With depression, thoughts of death or suicide, attempting suicide, difficulty concentrating and making decisions. There are many more symptoms. Late onset bipolar usually begins in women in early teens to mid-twenties. Your daughter should see an MD asap who can maybe refer her to a psychiatrist.

H
I agree with the bipolar, having a daughter in the same boat, but his daughter is an adult, as is mine, and have you ever tried to get an adult who’s not speaking to you to do something that will help her? It’s a lot like trying to get cats to pull Santa’s sleigh. As long as they are functioning sufficiently, most states will not allow a parent to intervene in an adult child’s life.😦
 
Please pray for understanding to enlighten us (my family), this Christmas.
:blessyou:
I am praying first for your peace, the family who is left behind in the wake of this, including you, your wife, and your other kids.

I pray you find some bright spots in the Advent and Christmas season that ease your pain, and make you realize you can go on with life, even though your daughter chooses to exclude you.

I pray you find that special counselor, priest or person who makes you all realize you need to deal with this, and get on with life, and not be held hostage to your adult daughter’s choices.
 
millions and millions and millions of happy memories, there are.
let the healing begin, look my way with open eyes sweetheart
 
My family is torn, my heart aches, nothing or no one can help, for God knows that I have tried. Prayer and faith in Jesus Christ, almighty is all I have. It’s hard to live this way, my wife, her mother can not hold back the tears and I can not rest or sit idly by and do nothing.
It’s my daughter that troubles me, for nearly two years she has not spoken a word to any of her family.
I think that her mental health is affecting her good judgment.

She is displaying the following symptoms’, but can function in society (college) as if everything fine (no one sees danger), receives good grades, etc:

• fears of abandonment
• extreme mood swings
• difficulty in relationships
• unstable self-image
• difficulty managing emotions
• impulsive behavior
• self-injuring acts
• suicidal ideation
• transient psychotic episode

the worst part is that she is over the legal age ,so I have no recourse, whatsoever to so much as send a greeting card for the holidays.
Continuing to pray for your family.May our Lord Jesus give you peace as only He can,Rocky.
 
Continued prayers for your daughter and you and your family.
 
the wilderness is no place to be during Christmas
(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)
we all ❤️ you, with all our ❤️
 
We can trust God to be merciful toward those with mental illnesses. They simply are not responsible for their behavior.

While your daughter’s actions are hurting you tremendously, life is short and The Almighty will wipe away every tear from your eyes. You will be with her in Heaven.

Faith in this will not ease your pain now, but as long as there is life, there is hope.

Without hope, life makes no sense. And, I refuse to believe that life is ultimately pointless or hopeless.

You’ve done your best for her. Don’t assume this situation was caused by some fault on your part.

My family and I will be at Mass this Sunday, and we will offer it for your family.
  • Rob in Oregon
 
I have a daughter in almost the same situation. She left her husband and is living ‘as a friend’ with another guy. She hasn’t spoken to us for 3+ years. I put up with it for years, she is ODD, Bipolar, and several other acronyms for which we sent her to many therapists and residential treatment centers as a teen. Nothing helped as she didn’t want to be helped. She still doesn’t - we love her and pray for her daily, but I don’t let it run my life. It did take therapy for several in the family to deal with it though.
 
My family is torn, my heart aches, nothing or no one can help, for God knows that I have tried. Prayer and faith in Jesus Christ, almighty is all I have. It’s hard to live this way, my wife, her mother can not hold back the tears and I can not rest or sit idly by and do nothing.
It’s my daughter that troubles me, for nearly two years she has not spoken a word to any of her family.
I think that her mental health is affecting her good judgment.

She is displaying the following symptoms’, but can function in society (college) as if everything fine (no one sees danger), receives good grades, etc:

• fears of abandonment
• extreme mood swings
• difficulty in relationships
• unstable self-image
• difficulty managing emotions
• impulsive behavior
• self-injuring acts
• suicidal ideation
• transient psychotic episode

the worst part is that she is over the legal age ,so I have no recourse, whatsoever to so much as send a greeting card for the holidays.
Sounds a lot like Manic Depression, or Bi-Polar disorder. My wife has all the symptoms you describe here and it is hard on everyone. However, she is your daughter and the father-daughter relationship doesn’t change. Gird your loins, go see her, camp outside her door if you have to and* take charge*. Don’t be accepting of the situation. You said you can not sit idly by, so go to it…
 
Praying for your daughter and for you and your family.I know that in most states(USA)if someone is a danger to themselves or others,you can have them court ordered to a mental health facility.Again prayers for you
actually no you cannot unless the threat is immediate and grave. If you call the authorities for an adult family member who exhibits the symptoms OP describes there is nothing they can do without the person’s consent, unless the danger to themselves or others is immediate and deadly. If a parent or other relative of an adult tries to “take charge” they can be arrested if the patient calls police. Unless a court has declared the person incompetent and appointed a guardian, the parent is helpless to offer any assistance the person does not want.

We should know, we deal with an adult relative like this all the time.

My prayers and sympathy are with OP and his family and most of all his daughter, she is caught in a situation she can neither control nor respond to adequately without help, and unless and until she asks for help, it will not be forthcoming. You are definitely on my prayer list. I believe God has a special role and a special love for such people and will work in them through the Holy Spirit when they cannot work and pray for themselves.
 
thank you, we can always use your prayers.
i have tried to contact her, it only drives her father away, yet i can not
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top