Sometimes, even the unorthodox get it right

  • Thread starter Thread starter tee_eff_em
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tee_eff_em

Guest
Perhaps *unorthodox *is too strong a word, or likely to give the wrong impression. Our parochial vicar is certainly an *unusual *man. Yes, he does add or alter a word here or there, sometimes even repeating a prayer or phrase in another language (I presume he is repeating – It is something he must do of his own habit, since I think no one of the parish benefits from it). And he is a deeply spiritual and intellectual man, even if he (mistakenly, IMHO) sometimes presents intellectual opinion as fact. And he has an unusual cadence to his speech, enough to often throw the congregation off their responses. But compared to some that I read of here and elsewhere, he really not all that “out there”.

And really: I thank God that he comes to bring us the sacraments!

And sometimes, God gives a sign to let us know that he really is on the ball. (Which, after all that disclaimer, is the point of this post)

At yesterday’s Mass of Christmas, after the Kyrie the folk group played a song. It was a beautiful song, the lyrics were poetic, and it was very nativity-oriented. And the refrain did begin with “Glory to God on high”.

But it was decidedly not the Gloria. Perhaps it was meant to be. Perhaps it was well-meaningly composed in an attempt to be. But, no doubt about it, it was not even close. It was beautiful, and I would be pleased to hear it again in another context, but it was not the Gloria.

And when the folk group had finished, Father immediately began to recite *Glory to God in the highest *(and, thankfully, the congregation hit the cue to join in the recitation).

Sometimes, even the unorthodox get it right. 🙂

tee
 
Good grief, the OP is full of left-handed compliments and is quite condescending to the priest. Is there a point to the post? There’s a saying that should be applied here: “If you don’t have anything good to say, don’t say it”.
 
Bravo! Too many “un-Gloria” musical variations on this prayer have sprung up, and after I hear one I regret that we have not prayed one of the official prayers of the Mass.

I hope that, once the new translation of the Mass is promulgated, composers will stick to the official texts and set them to beautiful music (my preference is as close to Gregorian Chant as possible, with simple sacred polyphony a close second).
 
I have a similar story. When I am away at college I belong to a parish where a very nice Jesuit says Mass sometimes on the weekends. His theology is often iffy, he loves to wear his ugly rainbow stole over the chasuble, and he changes the words of the Mass and ad-libs all the time. On sunday however he accidentally skipped the Gloria and read the Collect but immediately afterward he remembered his mistake and explained what he had done. We then sang the Gloria and all was well.
 
You don’t realize something, but YEARS ago (like…four years ago maybe?) I was on neopets and found you through a beauty contest or something.
Ever since then, I’ve always loved your artwork - I looked up to your work when I was on neopets.
I thought it was so amazing, and so creative…and I still do.

Just minutes ago I located your dA on your neopets userlookup, and I thought I’d tell you that I’ve loved what you have done with your art, and can only wish you the best.

Thanks again for giving me that motivation to get creative, and you’re quite welcome for the watch I am going to give you. ;D​

legal steroids
weddings beach
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top