Spanish Mass

• Thread starter Thread starter mark_a
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mark_a

I was out of town today and attended a Spanish mass. I dont understand Spanish.

Toward the end, a family (several adults and some children) was brought to the alter for some type of small ceremony, but it was not a baptism.

After the ceremony, the priest led the congregation in a round of applause.

What happened?

Also, large numbers of kids went through the communion line and received a blessing from the Priest or Deacon, which I thought was cool.

I cannot recall ever seeing this in an English Mass. Can extraordinary eucharistic ministers give this blessing?

could have been a lot of things, at our parish we recognize anybody who has a birthday that month (on the first Sunday), also could have been a blessing for a couple and their family on wedding anniversary. A girl celebrating her 15th birthday often has a special ceremony, can be after Mass, or at another time. or, It may have nothing to do with Hispanic culture.

=mark aAlso, large numbers of kids went through the communion line and received a blessing from the Priest or Deacon, which I thought was cool. I cannot recall ever seeing this in an English Mass. Can extraordinary eucharistic ministers give this blessing?
We do this in our church. The priest can give such a blessing to anyone who comes up with arms crossed, but I believe extraordinary ministers are not supposed to give an official blessing. However, at times my children have gone up and what’s the poor minister to do? They can give their own individual blessing, which they sometimes do. Children feel blessed, and God is no doubt pleased with them.

This may or may not be related, but when I went to a Spanish mass, I noticed that a large number of people did not go up to receive communion. Obviously the Hispanics take more seriously the injunction against receiving Holy Communion while in a state of mortal sin.

I went to a Mass in Spanish a couple of months ago (my first in over 8 years!) and near the end the priest asked any newcomers to stand up and say where they were from. After this there was a round of applause. It might have been something similar to what you saw, mark a, a welcoming of the new family to the parish. But then again, since you say it was more of a ceremony, maybe it was a whole other thing… perhaps what puzzleannie said?

Anima Christi:
Obviously the Hispanics take more seriously the injunction against receiving Holy Communion while in a state of mortal sin.
Well, this is true…but it’s also true that poor catechesis in tandem with this injunction has popularized the idea in (at least) Mexican culture that receiving communion while guilty of venial sin–or even in the presence of a feeling of unworthiness–is wrong. So I wouldn’t conclude everyone refraining from communion at Spanish Mass is harboring a big sin…just excercising a profound (but a little misunderstood) respect for the Eucharist.

Anima Christi:
This may or may not be related, but when I went to a Spanish mass, I noticed that a large number of people did not go up to receive communion. Obviously the Hispanics take more seriously the injunction against receiving Holy Communion while in a state of mortal sin.
The Hispanic culture does not seem to place as much emphasis on frequent Communion as we do, but that may not be because of a perception of worthy to receive. My husband and his family (mother, sisters, neices) receive Communion infrequently but do not attend Confession at all. They are not alone in this practice so it isn’t that they are in much of a different state when they DO receive than when they don’t.

40.png
maendem:
Well, this is true…but it’s also true that poor catechesis in tandem with this injunction has popularized the idea in (at least) Mexican culture that receiving communion while guilty of venial sin–or even in the presence of a feeling of unworthiness–is wrong. So I wouldn’t conclude everyone refraining from communion at Spanish Mass is harboring a big sin…just excercising a profound (but a little misunderstood) respect for the Eucharist.
Ditto-very true! We have worked on this with our Hispanics and now have many more, who can receive, that are receiving. The pastor also has confessions before the Sunday Mass in Spanish.

40.png
Viki59:
The priest can give such a blessing to anyone who comes up with arms crossed, but I believe extraordinary ministers are not supposed to give an official blessing.
Can a Deacon give the blessing? I know some of the large churches need so many extraorinary eucharistic ministers that the priest sometimes don’t give communion.

40.png
kmktexas:
The Hispanic culture does not seem to place as much emphasis on frequent Communion as we do, but that may not be because of a perception of worthy to receive. My husband and his family (mother, sisters, neices) receive Communion infrequently but do not attend Confession at all. They are not alone in this practice so it isn’t that they are in much of a different state when they DO receive than when they don’t.
Just curious, what area of the state are you from. I’m from the tip of Texas and found quite the opposite than you. I, and other Mexican-American Catholics, received communion as frequently as we could. There was always a long line for communion.

40.png
AServantofGod:
Just curious, what area of the state are you from. I’m from the tip of Texas and found quite the opposite than you. I, and other Mexican-American Catholics, received communion as frequently as we could. There was always a long line for communion.
We are near Houston but my in-law family is in South America. I lived in Venezuela for a year and it seemed to be much the same. From speaking with my in-laws, they “save” Communion for special occasions but it isn’t related at all to being able to go to Confession.

In our parish, the Spanish Mass is the most heavily attended and has the least amount of people going to Communion. According to our DRE (who does the Baptism training too) many are in irregular marriages (one spouse in Mexico or Central America and another here in Texas) and don’t receive the Sacraments for that reason primarily.

mark a:
Can a Deacon give the blessing? I know some of the large churches need so many extraorinary eucharistic ministers that the priest sometimes don’t give communion.
I think that, as a member of the ordained, a deacon can give blessings.

The large number of EMHC shouldn’t have any effect on whether or not the priest distributes Communion. The only reason the presiding priest should not distribute Communion would be if they are too elderly or ill to do so. There is an order to who distributes Communion:

First, the Ordinary Ministers of Communion (preists, deacons, bishops).

Second, if there aren’t enough of the Ordinary Ministers, then Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion who have been previously chosen, approved and trained may be used.

Lastly, and as a last resort, EMsHC can be selected just for that one instance. This is only if there are not enough of numbers 1 &2 and would probably have to be a truly extraordinary or emergency situation. An example might be a Mass for a large group of soldiers about to go into battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back