Specific modest dress question

  • Thread starter Thread starter NPalmby
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nightgowns–even night SHIRTS–tend to bunch up around my hips and waist and form a lump under my lower back which just about kills me! I usually sleep in pajama pants or shorts and a tee… flannel in winter, light cotton in summer!
 
Nightgowns–even night SHIRTS–tend to bunch up around my hips and waist and form a lump under my lower back which just about kills me! I usually sleep in pajama pants or shorts and a tee… flannel in winter, light cotton in summer!
I haven’t slept in a nightgown since I was in grade school for the same reason. Also because I’m one of those cold people that need layers to stay warm in winter…Okay, I’ll admit it–I wear sweat pants and long sleeve shirts in the winter.:o And I can’t sleep if my feet are cold so I have to wear socks as well. Not very feminine, but very warm and comfortable!
 
Thanks for your (name removed by moderator)ut, and for the thrift store idea!

I’m actually trying to re-purpose my denim jeans into casual around-the-house skirts. My first attempt was successful but too short for comfort, but I have another pair of jeans I think will work well as a knee-length skirt. (And super-easy to make!)
Also try Freecycle if there is one in your area or Craigslist for free clothes.

I have mixed feelings about pajamas vs. nightgowns. I used to wear nightgowns until I had moved into a two story home where my bedroom was on the second floor. For some goofy reason, I found myself thinking that if, God forbid, there were a house fire during the night, I wouldn’t want to be carried down by a firefighter while in a nightgown. :eek: Or if an emergency came up and I found myself having to leave the house without having time to change clothes. I know… I’m weird.

So, here I am now wearing pajamas. I will say that wearing pants and pajama pants as opposed to a dress kind of keeps me in line weight wise. If a dress or nightgown doesn’t have a waist, then I’m not as likely to notice a couple of pounds adding on.
 
I sleep with my pet Vietnamese potbellied pig, and his hair is prickly–so it’s sweatpants (or at least nice thick flannel pajama bottoms) and a sweatshirt or t-shirt, depending on the temperature. Otherwise I’m scratched half to death all night.

Miz

(No, I am NOT making this up!) 😉
 
Thanks, missyfatcat, for the suggestion. I’ve never heard of freecyle–I’ll have to check that out. I certainly have things I can get rid of, too!

I don’t blame you, Miserys_Fence, for wanting to sleep covered up with a bed friend like that! I would, too!

I have kitties who like to sleep on my feet. If I move around too much, they “pat” me with their claws to let me know their sleep is being disturbed. Usually I can just kick them out of bed, though.
 
I’m asking because I know many women who choose to wear only skirts/dresses find it uncomfortable to then wear pants at all, even to bed. I was curious how the women here felt about it. That’s all.
Interesting.
 
Thank you, everyone who has chimed in. It’s always interesting to me to learn about things like this. I’m very curious (Hubby says I’m a bit nosy, but he likes it–I always ask if he’s okay!).
 
I have worn nightgowns to bed for years. Always short sleeved because I get HOT LOL

I found some pjs this year that were comfortable and shortsleeved, and although i don’t wear them all the time, i like them , especially for cold nights.
 
I don’t understand how ANYONE can sleep in a nightgown? For lounging around, sure, but to sleep? Unless one is some sort of android who shuts off systems and does not MOVE in the night, they tangle around your legs, and bunch up until you have one big gob of fabric under your armpits. Not exactly a good nights sleep wrestling with THAT.
:rotfl:
That is funny! I actually prefer sleep shirts (styled like a man’s oxford, but made feminine) or the oversized pajama T-shirts with cute pictures (I have one that has Minnie Mouse on it with her fuzzy slippers and coffee cup that says “Mornings aren’t pretty”…it is the favorite of my husband and children because it makes them smile)
 
FWIW, my 75-year-old MIL who hasn’t worn pants or short skirts (and for her, short is anything higher than 3 inches above the ankle!) for almost forty years, sleeps in pajamas with pants. Never asked her why, just kind of figured she was more comfortable that way.
 
I don’t think that modesty is necessarily an issue in regards to sleepwear if you are comfortable, and your husband is happy. Personally, I prefer pajamas, while my sister, who is close to me in age, has always preferred nightgowns, even when we were little girls. Modestly can become an issue if you have children. I always dressed in pajamas that would keep me decently covered if one of our children should come into our bedroom at night. Therefore, I always wore modest pajamas even in the summer. Our children are grown up now, but I have continued to dress for bed in the same way.
 
When it comes to sleepwear, wear whatever keeps you warm. Though I do understand the discomfort of wearing pants–even to bed. I only wear skirts and have been doing so for so long that I feel extremely ill at ease in pants. I usually wear a big tee shirt to bed when it’s cool, but I do have sweat pants which I will wear if absolutely necessary for warmth.
 
I don’t understand how ANYONE can sleep in a nightgown? For lounging around, sure, but to sleep? Unless one is some sort of android who shuts off systems and does not MOVE in the night, they tangle around your legs, and bunch up until you have one big gob of fabric under your armpits. Not exactly a good nights sleep wrestling with THAT.
I’m with you on that – in the winter. In the summer, I wear “shortie” nightgowns, and they don’t get so bunched-up. But I loathe long nightgowns for that very reason, so I wear PJ pants and a sweatshirt in the wintertime. And socks, too – it’s Michigan. And if it’s *really *cold, I’ll wear a knit ski cap, too. Not a very sexy look, but the only others sharing my bed are two cats; I don’t need to be modest around them! 😉 On the rare occasion that I have overnight house-guests, I try to get up early and be showered and dressed by the time they get up, or I wear a long robe over this lovely “ensemble.” 😛
 
Modest Cape Dresses, Great prices, styles, colors, prints, and sizes. From infant dresses to adult. Handmade dresses can be found at the eBay store, called AMISH-MENNONITE-DRESS. Just click on the link to veiw the beautiful Modest Dresses

stores.ebay.com/AMISH-MENNONITE-DRESS

Email if you have any questions, or are looking for a certain sizes, click on the link below.

amishmennonitedress@yahoo.com
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top