Specifically, how does Satan tempt us?

• Thread starter Thread starter chrisg93
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chrisg93

I’ve been having a spirtually low point lately, so please help me understand how does Satan work? He can’t read minds so I assume he cannot put thoughts into our minds…so how does he tempt us?

How do I know if temptation is from Satan or from my own disordered passions?

He tempted Jesus and he assulted Job and entered into Judas…How?

Satan can’t be everywhere at once, so where is he this morning? He prowles around like a lion (which seems random) but he also has schemes (which seems organized).

Does Satan himself just concentrate on Popes and Kings and leaves ordinary people to ordinary demons?

He often poses as an angel of light…does he actually talk to us? Is there anything that even Satan wouldn’t stoop to?

Can anyone help me recognize Satan and specifically how he operates. Have the Saints , Popes or mystics written anything about this?

C. S. Lewis (who was Anglican) wrote a wonderful classic Christian fictional book called The Screwtape Letters which cleverly illustrates some ways devils work. The book is composed of fictional “letters” from one devil advising another devil how to tempt us, and it answers some of your questions. I highly recommend it.

There are many devils, not just Satan. I have also read mystics who say while devils can’t read minds, as former angels their intelligence is far above ours and they can read the subtle signs that show exteriorly what we are thinking. Remember, they have seen far more humans that just you or I and they have a better understanding of fallen human nature than we may think. I suspect like a good poker player, they can guess what we are thinking by little querks that our grandfather or great-great-grandfathers may also have had. (But I don’t think it’s known for certain if they can read minds or not.)

As far as posing as an angel of light, that is why people hearing voices and experiencing supernatural revelations should be cautious and speaks to someone experienced with that in the Church. God and His angels will never reveal anything contrary to the laws of God, so any vision or voice that does is not from God.

While Satan and his devils are very smart decievers, they are proud. Humility defeats them because they don’t understand it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back