Specificity of prayer

• Thread starter Thread starter Digitonomy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Digitonomy

I have been pondering the value of specificity in prayer.

Is there any value in praying for say the health of a neighbor’s mother, or at least the well-being of her soul? Or is it sufficient to simply pray for God’s will to be done?

Well, Jesus tells us to be like little children, and what do they do? They run to their parents asking for exactly what they want. So there’s nothing wrong with going to God and asking for very specific favors.

On the other hand, good children trust their parents completely, showing that it is also praiseworthy to commend someone to God’s mercy according to His Will.

As we grow in holiness, we become more and more identified with God’s Will, and desire it more and more. One of the petitions in the Our Father is “Thy Will be done.” So (in my opinion, and that is opinion ONLY) it seems better to pray that God’s will be done, rather than laying out exactly what we want Him to do. He knows better than we do.

Betsy

Of course, you could also look at the example of Jesus in the garden of Gethsemane. He prays, asking that the cup will pass from Him, and then follows up with, “Not my will but Yours be done.” I tend to use that as an example in prayer. I ask for what I want, and then I ask that not my will, but God’s, be done.

40.png
baltobetsy:
it seems better to pray that God’s will be done, rather than laying out exactly what we want Him to do. He knows better than we do.
This is what I have always felt. But I have doubts about this, as at mass we are asked to pray for specific things, and here on this board you see threads like “Rosary for those in South Asia and Mexico.”

It makes me think that my own view on this may be too simplistic, but I’m not sure what the flaw is.

40.png
Digitonomy:
It makes me think that my own view on this may be too simplistic, but I’m not sure what the flaw is.
Maybe you’re just thinking too hard. Our faith is not about “either/or,” but rather “both/and.” There’s room for all kinds of prayer.

Betsy

40.png
baltobetsy:
Maybe you’re just thinking too hard. Our faith is not about “either/or,” but rather “both/and.” There’s room for all kinds of prayer.

Betsy
I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back