Speech of Pius XII about fashion and modesty

• Thread starter Thread starter tunini14
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tunini14

I found this document on the Vatican website …//You should googleDISCORSO DI SUA SANTITÀ PIO PP. XII
AI PARTECIPANTI AL I CONGRESSO INTERNAZIONALE DI
ALTA MODA PROMOSSO DALLA «UNIONE LATINA ALTA MODA»"
//And translating you should google Moral problems in fashion design by Pius XII
  1. What is the status of this document, unfortunately it is on the Vatican website does it mean it is authentic papal teaching?
  2. What is our responsibility of conscience towards the dress “In both cases, there must be a awakening of conscience as to their responsibility for the tragic consequences that may result from excessively bold clothing, especially if worn in public.” ? // Because, theoretically, any outfit, habit or cassock can be an occasion close to sin for someone and can have a tragic consequence.
  3. When it comes to a direct (probably close) opportunity to sin, it is about preserving the golden mean (that is, for the average person / majority of people it would not be a close opportunity) or if it was not an opportunity (close) to sin for anyone ?
    // BO theoretically, any outfit, habit or cassock can be an occasion close to sin for someone and can have a tragic consequence.
  4. What does this mean according to the aspirations of a society that appreciates the dignity and seriousness of public attire?
    "More generally, the immorality of some styles depends largely on excesses or immodesty or luxury. Excessive immodesty in fashion is in practice cutting clothing. Robes cannot be judged by the decadent or already corrupt society, but according to the aspirations of society, which appreciates the dignity and seriousness of its public attire. "
    5.Whether is wearing shorts around knees sinful According to this adress.?
    6.Whether is wearing boxers on beach or swimming pool sinful According to this address?
    7.And if a woman has tight trousers (like jeans etc)but with clothing behind the buttocks or shorts, a dress around the knees is it immodest now; is this a close occasion for sin?

Google Translate (excerpt):
Certainly different degrees of public morality are given according to the times, the nature and the conditions of civilization of the individual peoples; but this state of affairs does not invalidate the obligation to strive for the ideal of perfection, nor is it a sufficient reason to renounce the moral heights achieved, which manifest themselves precisely in the greater sensitivity that consciences have regarding evil and its ambushes.

1.What this mean “does not invalidate the o to strive for the ideal of perfection,” we are obligate (under penalty of sin) what is ideal od perfection(it is covering morebody)?
2. What is this ideal of perfection (should we be more covered)?
3. Who is the more sensitive the more perfect?

Last edited:
The ideal of perfection is moral perfection – that is the expression of charity. Temperance should rule so there is not a sinful expression of wealth or vanity, and scandal should not be given intentionally to the morally weak. See Saint Paul, who gave us an example in 1 Corinthians 8,13:
7 But there is not knowledge in every one. For some until this present, with conscience of the idol, eat as a thing sacrificed to an idol: and their conscience, being weak, is defiled. 8 But meat doth not commend us to God. For neither, if we eat, shall we have the more: nor, if we eat not, shall we have the less. 9 But take heed lest perhaps this your liberty become a stumbling-block to the weak. 10 For if a man see him that hath knowledge sit at meat in the idol’s temple, shall not his conscience, being weak, be emboldened to eat those things which are sacrificed to idols? 11 And through thy knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ hath died? 12 Now when you sin thus against the brethren and wound their weak conscience, you sin against Christ. 13 Wherefore, if meat scandalize my brother, I will never eat flesh, lest I should scandalize my brother.

the exegesis of this part is probably not easy and does not refer to it directly (to clothing)
If there is a golden mean in the sense that in my country i will be wearing in summer shorts and t shirt or boxxers in a beach or swimpool etc. (i Write this in above (first post), and if i go to iran i will wear long trousers and t shirt it will be right.
There is also minimal chance that i will my presence make mischief and should not exist. i am refreshing the questions.

5.Whether is wearing shorts around knees sinful According to this adress.?
6.Whether is wearing boxers on beach or swimming pool sinful According to this address?
7.And if a woman has tight trousers (like jeans etc)but with clothing behind the buttocks or shorts, a dress around the knees is it immodest now; is this a close occasion for sin?
I don’t mean to be harsh, but if you’re having to perform a huge analysis of a papal speech in order to understand what types of clothing are societally and morally appropriate for a particular place and occasion, you probably should just go talk to a priest.

Last edited:
The Pope was giving his opinions for the people of that time. This was not ex cathedra.

Modesty has far more to do with interior disposition than externals.

OP, welcome, I see you are new here. Welcome. You may find the answers you seek by using the search feature. Your questions have been asked and answered on CAF countless times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back