Spirit of sacrifice

• Thread starter Thread starter Kaily
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kaily

Dear friends,

I’ve been wondering what exactly does it mean to do things in a spirit of sacrifcie, for instance Jesus says He wants us to work in a spirit of sacrifice, could someone explain that to me. I do my morning offering and offer everything I do to Him, but as doing my work with love and such, hmm?? I don’t seem to be able to do that yet.

God Bless,
Kaily

Hi,

Perhaps these quotes from St josemaria Escriva can give you some light on this subject-
You lack strength of character: what insistence on having a hand in everything! You are bent on being the salt of every dish. And — you won’t be annoyed if I speak clearly — you have little aptitude for being salt: in particular, you lack its capacity to dissolve and pass unnoticed.

You have too little spirit of sacrifice and too great a spirit of curiosity and ostentation.
And-
The best spirit of sacrifice is to persevere in the work you have begun, both when you find it exciting and when it proves an uphill struggle
And-
See the next few posts

Temperance is self-mastery. Not everything we experience in our bodies and souls should be given free rein. Nor ought we to do everything we can do. It is easier to let ourselves be carried away by so-called natural impulses; but this road ends up in sadness and isolation in our own misery.

Some people don’t want to deny anything to their stomach, eyes, or hands. They refuse to listen when they are advised to lead clean lives. As for the faculty of generating new life — a great and noble faculty, a participation in God’s creative power — they misuse it and make it a tool for their own selfish ends.

But I never did like talking about impurity. I would rather consider the rich rewards that temperance brings. I want to see men who are really men, and not slaves to cheap glitter, as worthless as the trinkets that magpies gather. A manly person knows how to do without those things that may harm his soul and he also comes to realise that his sacrifice is more apparent than real; for living this way, with a spirit of sacrifice, means freeing oneself from many kinds of slavery and savouring instead, in the depths of one’s heart, the fullness of God’s love

see more-

Life then takes on again shades and tones which intemperance had tended to blur. We find ourselves able to care for the needs of others, to share what is ours with everyone, to devote our energies to great causes. Temperance makes the soul sober, modest, understanding. It fosters a natural sense of reserve which everyone finds attractive because it denotes intelligent self control. Temperance does not imply narrowness, but greatness of soul. There is much more deprivation in the intemperate heart which abdicates from self-dominion only to become enslaved to the first caller who comes along ringing some pathetic, tinny cow bell.
Hope this helps.

Yours in Jesus, Mary & Joseph,

John
Saints are just sinners who keep trying.http://forums.catholic-questions.org/images/icons/icon7.gif

40.png
Kaily:
Dear friends,

I’ve been wondering what exactly does it mean to do things in a spirit of sacrifcie, for instance Jesus says He wants us to work in a spirit of sacrifice, could someone explain that to me. I do my morning offering and offer everything I do to Him, but as doing my work with love and such, hmm?? I don’t seem to be able to do that yet.

God Bless,
Kaily
Starting each day with a morning offering is great! Continue to do that. Pray to the Holy Spirit to inspire you throughout the day to approach each person and situation through the eyes of Jesus. If you ask the Holy Spirit to help you, especially asking through Mary’s Immaculate Heart, He will lead you and give you all that you need…guaranteed!

40.png
Kaily:
Dear friends,

I’ve been wondering what exactly does it mean to do things in a spirit of sacrifcie, for instance Jesus says He wants us to work in a spirit of sacrifice, could someone explain that to me.
I think God sends to every life opportunities to do things in the spirit of sacrifice: it remains for us to take up our crosses and follow Him. IOW, one family may have a chronically ill child, this means that all in the household have to sacrifice and bend their will when the care of one individual presumes on what they have to do rather than what they “wish” to do; one marriage requires a great deal more giving on the part of a partner than on the other; one’s responsibilities towards an aged friend, neighbor or relative may take precedence over other things a person would like to do.

I had a pastor once who use to call these situations rather than obstacles or hardships, “opportunity” experiences for through them we discipline ourselves, we internalize the discomfort and keep a cheerful and willing demeanor and grow in grace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back