Spiritual Communion

• Thread starter Thread starter keith2002
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

keith2002

I read in that infamous Pieta blue book that it is important for us to make a spiritual communion everyday if we can’t actually receive the Eucharist.

How does one make this spiritual communion?

Keith

As a convert, I’m not really sure. But I will say this, I believe that there have been times that I’ve achieved that. Well, with God’s help of course. It has been mostly during my holy hours in the chapel at church. There have been the times when I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that God was there. Not just in the Eucharist, but right beside me.

Oh, and once at a Catholic Charasmatic prayer meeting, I know Mary was there. It was more than just sensing it. We were praying, and you know how Mary’s color is said to be blue? Well, this pink, I don’t know, Fog?, came into the room. Just a light pink coming into the room. Just enough for me to “see” it. And I knew she was there. It scared me though. But it was awesome.

You simply pray the following prayer (or something like it):

My Jesus,

I believe that You are present in the Most Holy Sacrament. I love You above all things, and I desire to receive You into my soul. Since I cannot at this moment receive You sacramentally,
come at least spiritually into my heart. I embrace You as if You were already there and unite myself wholly to You. Never permit me to be separated from You.
Amen.

Another one:

I wish, my Lord, to receive You, with the purity, humility and devotion with which Your most holy Mother received You, with the spirit and fervor of the saints.

Betsy

Even something so simple as just saying Dear Lord I wish to receive you. But there is a prayer a few pages from that particular page you are speaking of in the peita book.

Here is a helpful resource about this subject: Missing Mass & Spiritual Communion.
In all these instances, we are encouraged to make what is known as a “spiritual Communion,” an act expressing what was described by St. Thomas Aquinas as “an ardent desire to receive Jesus in the Most Holy Sacrament and in lovingly embracing Him.”
I always make an act of contrition prior to the spiritual communion. :gopray2:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back