Spiritual Direction ?

• Thread starter Thread starter blourdes
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

blourdes

When choosing a spritual director. Does it have to be a priest?. Can it be a Sister? I have met a Sister whom I have become very close with. She is such a spiritual person. She does recieve Spiritaul direction herself. Thanks for the information in advance

It can even be a holy lay person, if that is what seems right. I know people with lay spiritual directors. Often people go to a local monastery to find one as well. The sister would be fine, if she is allowed to (the obedience thing).

Thanks. I didn’t think about the obedience vow. We do email back and forth. so in away it is some sort of Spiritual direction.

40.png
blourdes:
Thanks. I didn’t think about the obedience vow. We do email back and forth. so in away it is some sort of Spiritual direction.
One of the advantages of having a priest as your Siritual Director is the fact that he can also be your confessor.

Is the Sister a trained Spiritual Director? You can go to anyone who is willing to help you, but a legitimate SD has been trained in that area. Also many who have the training do not have the time needed to take on additional directees.

40.png
blourdes:
When choosing a spritual director. Does it have to be a priest?. Can it be a Sister? I have met a Sister whom I have become very close with. She is such a spiritual person. She does recieve Spiritaul direction herself. Thanks for the information in advance
Depends on the situation and what you are comfortable with.

As for me, since I am disserning a vocation, I am trying to find one who is a priest. I got a number of one of the priests at the Passionist Monistary associated with the parish I just joined.

As for:
40.png
ByzCath:
One of the advantages of having a priest as your Siritual Director is the fact that he can also be your confessor.
I have heard both ways on having your Spiritual Director as your Confessor. I will probably not do that since I like the anonymity of the screen when going to confession.

PF

St. Teresa of Avila, Chapter 5, Way of Perfection:
Give great praise to God, Daughters, for this liberty that you have, for, though there are not a great many priests whom you can consult, there are a few, other than your ordinary confessors, who can give you light upon everything. I beg every superior, for the love of the Lord, to allow a holy liberty here: let the Bishop or Provincial be approached for leave for the sisters to go from time to time beyond their ordinary confessors and talk about their souls with persons of learning, especially if the confessors, though good men, have no learning; for learning is a great help in giving light upon everything. It should be possible to find a number of people who combine both learning and spirituality, and the more favors the Lord grants you in prayer, the more needful is it that your good works and your prayers should have a sure foundation.

You already know that the first stone of this foundation must be a good conscience and that you must make every effort to free yourselves from even venial sins and follow the greatest possible perfection. You might suppose that any confessor would know this, but you would be wrong: it happened that I had to go about matters of consciences to a man who had taken a complete course in theology; and he did me a great deal of mischief by telling me that certain things were of no importance. I know that he had no intention of deceiving me, or any reason for doing so: it was simply that he knew no better. And in addition to this instance I have met with two or three similar ones.

Everything depends on our having true light to keep the law of God perfectly. This is a firm basis for prayer; but without this strong foundation the whole building will go awry. In making their confessions, then, the nuns must be free to discuss spiritual matters with such persons as I have described. I will even go farther and say that they should sometimes do as I have said even if their confessor has all these good qualities, for he may quite easily make mistakes and it is a pity that he should be the cause of their going astray.
St. Teresa made reference to the importance of learning and spirituality elsewhere in her writings, as well, but I am not able at this time to put my finger on it. Trust her wisdom and experience, good friends, for she suffered a great deal from inept advice from those who had no knowledge of God’s ways in prayer.

I myself tried three times to obtain direction from a local parish priest, and they admitted to me finally, that they had no understanding of advancing progress in prayer that would enable them to give proper direction. I would suggest that earnest prayer be put before God to bring a person of wisdom into your life, and if none is available, to trust Him to teach you, for His ways of instructing the soul are infinite indeed!

40.png
blourdes:
No it doesn’t have to be a priest, however I do have the advantage of both because of my Opus Dei affiliations. Most often I go to a woman… called a Super- Numerary .

I hope this doesn’t sound stupid but who of us should seek a spiritual director? I hear of this but don’t know who it appies to.

40.png
WanderAimlessly:
As for:
40.png
ByzCath:
I have heard both ways on having your Spiritual Director as your Confessor. I will probably not do that since I like the anonymity of the screen when going to confession.

PF
This is understandable but then maybe spiritual direction isn’t for you either. Maybe you could just have someone that you go to, to talk to as a friend.

A spiritual director is not a friend. They provide guidance and direction in the spiritual life. I would suggest to everyone that is looking for spiritual direction to find someone that is wholely orthodox in Catholic thought. Many of the places that advertise spiritual direction and many of those who have certificates in spiritual direction are more on the “liberal” side of things.

I use my spiritual director as my confessor as we meet on a (sort of) regular basis. With him as my confessor, he knows more about me and this can only help in his direction and guidance.

Now I know that not all like this sort of arrangement but I find it helpful.

40.png
ByzCath:
This is understandable but then maybe spiritual direction isn’t for you either. Maybe you could just have someone that you go to, to talk to as a friend.

A spiritual director is not a friend. They provide guidance and direction in the spiritual life. I would suggest to everyone that is looking for spiritual direction to find someone that is wholely orthodox in Catholic thought. Many of the places that advertise spiritual direction and many of those who have certificates in spiritual direction are more on the “liberal” side of things.

I use my spiritual director as my confessor as we meet on a (sort of) regular basis. With him as my confessor, he knows more about me and this can only help in his direction and guidance.

Now I know that not all like this sort of arrangement but I find it helpful.
Byz:

As stated in post #6, I have a specific reason for obtaining the services of a Spiritual Director. I do not expect him to be a friend. In fact, just the opposite. A friend is not always objective, and that is what I need at this point.

Now that does not mean I will not discuss with him what and how I should confess. That will probably be part of the direction I will get.

As for confession, the screen is the way I always liked it and, at least for the perceivable future, the way it will remain.

PF

40.png
WanderAimlessly:
Byz:

As stated in post #6, I have a specific reason for obtaining the services of a Spiritual Director. I do not expect him to be a friend. In fact, just the opposite. A friend is not always objective, and that is what I need at this point.
Somehow I missed that. Yes if you are discerning a vocation, as I am, then you should get spiritual direction and you most likely know the difference between a friend and a spiritual director. Some people though, do not.
Now that does not mean I will not discuss with him what and how I should confess. That will probably be part of the direction I will get.

As for confession, the screen is the way I always liked it and, at least for the perceivable future, the way it will remain.

PF
I can understand this, but realize that when/if you do enter an order or the seminary you may not have this option open. I know at least one seminary that assigns you a spiritual director and you are expected to also use that priest as your confessor. You can always use the screen but he will know who you are.

I guess I really do not have a problem with face to face confession as, traditionally, we do not use the screen in the Byzantine Tradition.

40.png
ByzCath:
I can understand this, but realize that when/if you do enter an order or the seminary you may not have this option open. I know at least one seminary that assigns you a spiritual director and you are expected to also use that priest as your confessor. You can always use the screen but he will know who you are.

I guess I really do not have a problem with face to face confession as, traditionally, we do not use the screen in the Byzantine Tradition.
Byz:

Thanks for posing that out about when/if (I like how you put the when first) entering the seminary that I would probably not have this option. I have already realized that, but that is at least a year down the road.

In fact, I believe the seminary in which I would be attending has that stated in its catalog that your Spiritual Director will also be your Confessor.

Maybe once I got to know (not get confortable with) my Spritual Director, I may use him as my confessor.

PF

40.png
blourdes:
First pray to determine if God wants you to work with a Spiritual Director at this time. If so, pray that He will lead you to the proper individual, who (IMHO) can be a priest, religious or lay person. I urge you to look for someone who:
  • is deeply prayerful
  • participates in the Sacraments frequently
  • is completely obedient to Christ and the Church He established
  • lives an outwardly Catholic, moral life
Unfortunately, there are many nuns (and others) who are certified Spiritual Directors that lead their directees to practices contrary to our Catholic Faith. If she recommends things such as Sophia Worship, Celtic Spirituality, the Enneagram, Dream Analysis, Yoga (spiritual aspects, not physical exercise)… then steer clear. If she insists that the Church is outdated and should ordain women or bless homosexual “marriages”, then steer clear.

Unfortunately, many of the nuns in our area who are “certified” Spiritual Directors are not orthodox Catholics. In fact, the director of the center which trains Spiritual Directors in town once said in front of me, “We are each God”. This incident explained a number of the problems we’ve seen with the directors coming out of this center.

Elizabeth B. No she is a very spiritual sister. She has lead me to Eucharistic Adoration, and is moved by the Blessed Mother. She is very simple and reminds me very much of St. Therese. She is so devoted to our LORD! She is very unique and still wears the tradtional habit which I appreciate it. She has brought me closer to the Eucharist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back