spiritual director

• Thread starter Thread starter hilde_the_dog
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hilde_the_dog

Sorry Folks I’m new to the Catholic Church (two years+) and what is a spiritual director? (I dislike that term from my Calvinist days - never had one since salvation for them was personal), How do you find one? And How do you know if they are good? Who can do this? What if you don’t like them? Do you need one? help

hilde the dog:
Sorry Folks I’m new to the Catholic Church (two years+) and what is a spiritual director? (I dislike that term from my Calvinist days - never had one since salvation for them was personal), How do you find one? And How do you know if they are good? Who can do this? What if you don’t like them? Do you need one? help
Most often, especially early on, your priest will largely act in that capacity during the sacrament of reconciliation. Aside from confessing, seeking direction or asking questions can be done in this format, although obviously a lengthy discussion shouldn’t occur during confession if people are standing and waiting their turn.

As you progress in your faith, you will likely have more questions about either your faith life, Church teachings, family life, and any of the myriad other topics of life. A good spiritual director will help guide you through these questions and keep you focused on God in light of Church teachings.

They are also an invaluable resource when you have those “crisis of faith” times, be they mild or deep, as they should be able to help you in understanding how and why these things occur and help you work your way through them.

In searching for one, I would start with your parish priest to see who he might recommend. If he is unable to help, he can probably refer you to someone who can help find one. Like any other person in the counselling field, you will hit it off better with some than others and you are always free to seek a different person if necessary. Word of advice though–question your motives before doing this so you don’t just run off because someone is either asking the “hard questions” or is trying to help you grow beyond your comfort zone.

Best of luck in your search! 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back