Spiritual Directors

• Thread starter Thread starter jacqui
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jacqui

Dear Members,
I am curious about how many of you have spiritual directors. I am currently reading Thomas Dubay’s book: Spiritual Direction and have decided to pursue getting one for myself. I have already approached a priest (sound, orthodox and very knowledgeable) about being my director.Thomas Dubay makes a compelling argument in favor of having a director and I was wondering how many actually practice this. Your comments on this would be most welcome!
In Christ,
Jacqui

FYI, there has been quite a few threads on this topic already. If you use the search feature you can probably find a few.

Peace & WELCOME to the forums!

I am reading the Rod Bennett book right now, and the Dubay book is next on my list. I would like to know what it means to have a spiritual director because I often wonder if I am on a good path, the right path or simply the path that is in front of me - does that make sense?

I know I will need to read the book, but can you tell me what has jumped out at you from your reading that convinces you to get a Spiritual Director?

Dear Leslie,

What jumps out at me is that a good spiritual director will be more knowledgeable than I and perhaps know me better than I know myself. I seem to have plateaued spiritually and have come to the conclusion I cannot do this alone. So many of the saints had directors and there is no greater path to heaven than through the virtue of obedience! I would have to say that the book confirms how I have been feeling for a while. I also am reading this after having read A Fire Within by Thomas Dubay. In this work he addresses the works of St. Teresa of Avila and St. John of the Cross and the goal of reaching contemplation. This spurred me on to the subject of spiritual direction and seeking true contemplation, true communion with our Lord.
In Christ,
Jacqui

You will also enjoy some of the Carmelite threads as well. Make sure you do a search for that. Great books that you are reading!

I am currently looking for one. Have been meaning to get in touch with the Franciscans at the parish I belong to. Work has been to hectic for me to call. Should slow down next week.

PF

Hello,
I think Spiritual Direction is one of many well-hidden jems of our faith! I have been blessed to have had wonderful directors.
Where I live (Boston, MA area), there’s a dire shortage of directors. As more folks are making retreats, more are in a position to see the need and ask.
Sometimes it is difficult to find someone who can meet regularly even monthly.
There was a time I had no Director and I hestitated because the priests I knew were so busy–but then I realized/accepted that I couldn’t do it alone humanly and was risking my salvation–that got me moving again!
I felt like i was asking too much or being selfish, but I have had to persist.
Many books on asectical and mystical theology provide nice surveys of spiritual direction. Fr. Jordan Aumann has a book that is still available. When I read St. Theresa’s Life, i was blown away by all the drama around her Directors–but it all shows just how important it is.
God Bless.
erinozak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back