Spiritual directors

• Thread starter Thread starter hilde_the_dog
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hilde_the_dog

I didn’t know where else to put this. But who can be a spiritual director? Must it be a priest or other religious? What are the requirements? Is there training and ceritfication? Are requirements set by the diocese? How do you find a good one, I don’t believe there is a BBB site for them.

Best to find a priest and ask him for spiritual direction even in the context of confession. He is given graces to provide this direction. For this reason, I would strongly discourage you from seekign spiritual direction from a lay person. Another reason is that many lay persons don’t have the education or background to provide productive advice whereas your priest does.

hilde the dog:
I didn’t know where else to put this. But who can be a spiritual director? Must it be a priest or other religious? What are the requirements? Is there training and ceritfication? Are requirements set by the diocese? How do you find a good one, I don’t believe there is a BBB site for them.
I finally got a Spiritual Directory today. Fortunately, the pastor of my parish (a Franciscan) was willing. I also volunteered for two committees at the parish (both of them directly related to possible vocation choices).

As for finding a Spiritual Director, a good book on the topic is Seeking Spiritual Direction: How to Grow the Divine Life Within by Thomas Dubay.

PF

hilde the dog:
Opus Dei Priests are excellent Spiritual Directors…check it out.
opusdei.org/

Here’s a link to a search I did here for “spiritual director”…there are about 20 threads; perhaps you might find info of interest among them?

forums.catholic-questions.org/search.php?searchid=1180990

I met with a nun for almost 2 years of spiritual direction before & after my Confirmation. I found it to be helpful, yet not as challenging as I wish it could have been, in (20/20) hindsight…

Choose carefully! My wife has been going to a Catholic Nun spiritual director for some years now. I had a rule that my children had to go to Sunday Mass whether they wanted to or not (teenagers - didn’t want to go). My wife asked me to see her spiritual director who proceeded to advise me NOT to enforce this rule because “it would drive them out of the Church.” So, she advised me to lead my children into mortal sin.

My wife is now leaving me in large part because I am a devout Catholic (and partially because she has become a believer in ‘repressed memories’). She used to be a devout Catholic but has now become fully anti-Catholic. She can’t bear to have holy pictures or a crucifix in sight. But she still goes to the Catholic Nun spiritual director who is very supportive of her plan to leave me.

My advice is to carefully question any prospective spiritual director to determing is he/she is truely an orthodox Catholic - and then keep your eyes and ears open. The first time you hear heterodoxy - get out fast!!

Curtiss

Curtiss, that is so sad. I know that too many religious sisters are not exactly the most loyal Catholics, but to encourage your wife to leave you is a grave matter and seriously bad advice.

I met a religious sister today at a greenhouse where I work sometimes, I had to smile within myself to think that this sister would probably not appreciate my desire to be in full communion with our Roman Catholic church, the magisterium, the Catechism. I wear a chapel veil and I believe that obedience is a virtue and not a weakness. She was’t wearing a habit, but had an unusual cross penadant and the Holy Spirit told me it was her Order’s symbol – Redemptorists, I believe she said.

I didn’t go into it with and asked her to let me carry something for her as a corporal act of mercy. She smiled – partly in humor and also because I had out-humbled her. I guess that is a lack of humility afterall.

Curtiss, I am very sorry for your circumstance will remember in my prayers.

Find a priest that profess to be completely orthodox and loyal to the Magisterium. Since you’re entrusting the trajectory of your soul to an assistant it’d better be along the lines of the church.

Agree with Annunciata 100% Opus Dei priests are trained to assist the laity through S. D.

in XT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back