• Thread starter Thread starter sherilo
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sherilo

Hello all,

I need some guidance.
I have been married for years to a non-practicing cradle Catholic. I was a non-practicing Protestant. I church hopped over the years, but never found my place in any of the churches I attended. I also would have never considered Catholicism as a path, even though my family was Catholic at one time, and I was baptized as an infant. Well, as it so happens, God called me out to yet another spiritual quest for truth, and guess what? I want to be Catholic. I have studied and researched, and now know where I belong. Problem is that my husband wants little to do with the whole thing. I know that should he return to church, that he will go home to the Catholic church… Right now, he is not “ready.” We are what I guess you would call unequally yoked, at this point. I want to go to Mass, and have done so, but not faithfully. I think that I am ready to go to RCIA, and take our year old daughter. But, I don’t want to push this on anyone. I am reading a book called “When Only One Converts” and there is a story about how one man patiently waited for his family to come around. I am ready to go, but don’t want to cause an upheaval. Nor do I want to make God wait for me any longer. Any one out there with a similar story and some suggestions?

Thanks,
Sherilo

40.png
sherilo:
Problem is that my husband wants little to do with the whole thing. I know that should he return to church, that he will go home to the Catholic church… Right now, he is not “ready.” We are what I guess you would call unequally yoked, at this point.
How little does he want to do with this? Is he against your attending RCIA? If not, then go. Is he objecting to you taking your daughter to instruction or Mass? If not, then go. Does he generally support you but doesn’t feel inclined to participate himself? Don’t force him, but begin your spiritual journey as best you can. It is best to be joyful and exited about the journey that you are able to make than have it be a cause of friction and resentment. You will have to gently explain to your daughter why Dad isn’t joining you–for now. If God calls him later, he will come. In the meantime pray for him and be an example to him (but above all resist the urge to preach or make him participate or read things unless you really see him opening up to it). Welcome home and God bless you on your journey. :angel1:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back