Spiritual Reading

• Thread starter Thread starter Nichevo
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nichevo

I was wondering if you followed a regimen of spiritual reading and if so, what you are currently reading. Presently I am reading Aquinas’ On Human Nature and rereading Confessions by St. Augustine.

I am reading The Path of Mental Prayer. I can’t remember who the author is … it’s upstairs in my room and the baby is sleeping in there … shhhhhh. But it is an incredible book so far. I have received much comfort and answers to long unanswered questions concerning contemplative prayer.
My favorites to reread are St. John of the Cross, The Story of a Soul, The Collected Works of St. Theresa of Avila, and The Sinner’s Guide.
God bless!

I just finished “Every Woman’s Struggle” by Shannon Etheridge. It’s a book written by a Protestant that has much needed material and encouragement for women guarding their hearts as singles and marrieds, as well as seeing themselves as God does.

I’m re-reading “Awakening Your Soul to the Presence of God” by Kilian Healy, and just started “The Lamb’s Supper” by Scott Hahn. There’s always a book or two I’m dying to get my hands on 🙂 I’d highly recommend the book by Fr.Kilian - it’s spiritual, beautifully written, and applicable.

40.png
Ana:
I am reading The Path of Mental Prayer. I can’t remember who the author is … it’s upstairs in my room and the baby is sleeping in there … shhhhhh. But it is an incredible book so far. I have received much comfort and answers to long unanswered questions concerning contemplative prayer.
My favorites to reread are St. John of the Cross, The Story of a Soul, The Collected Works of St. Theresa of Avila, and The Sinner’s Guide.
God bless!
If you read Sts John of the Cross and Teresa of Avila, then I would suggest the book that I am currently reading, Fire Within by Fr. Thomas Dubay. It’s a brilliant synthesis of sanjuanist and teresian thoughts on contemplative prayer. Fr. Dubay does a remarkable job of showing how each of the saints use their own terminology to discuss the same topics (which may not be completely apparent), as well as how their teaching is firmly rooted in the Gospel. In fact, he shows exactly how their message **is **the Gospel message. This book has been a very valuable source of information for me as I begin to answer the universal call to contemplative prayer.

what I have found most helpful in spiritual reading is to follow the rule of St. Benedict. Read only one book at a time, preferably one recommended by a superior or spiritual director, read it slowly, carefully, thoughtfully, meditatively. Don’t pick up another book until you finish the first one, no matter how long it takes. Also do not let spiritual reading take the place of lectio divina with scripture. Have been reading the Gospel of Life by Pope JP2 for months, his writing is so rich, as my brother says, you could read no other author besides the bible and have enough reading for a lifetime.

I really like the book “Divine Intimacy”.
It is a book of readings, prayers and meditations that follow the liturgical year. Not too pointy-headed for me :o Yet full of good ‘meat’ for the soul.
I also try to keep reading the gospels on a rotation.

I do want to begin reading St Theresa of Avila. What do you think of “Interior Castles”? Has anyone read it? Is that a good Avila work to begin with?? :confused:

I am reading books form mysitcs righ now, to see what advice I can hear for myself int he words that the saints belived they heard form God and the words that they passed on to others. I’ve read the autobiographies/diaries of Therese of Lisieux, Theresa of Avila, Faustina, Margaret Mary, and Catherine of Sienna. I woudl recommend all except Margaret Mary. Catherine of Sienna had the most comprehensive details for life.

I am trying to choose from Gertrude of Helfta, Birgitta of Sweden, or Julian of Norwich for my next book.

I recommend The Lord by Romano Guardini

I also have a great appreciation for the Imitation of Christ by Thomas A’Kempis although it falls outside my spiritual tradition.

I would also say Introduction to the Devoout Life by Francis DeSales. And The Mountain of Silence by Kyriacos Markides.

All of these I have read, and I continue to pick them up for inspiration. Likewise I will pick up Sayings of the Desert Fathers translated by Benedicta Ward and Drinking from the Hidden Fountain compiled by Thomas (Cardinal) Spidlik S.J. These last two are meant for taking in small bites, and I will turn to them again and again.

+T+

In regards to Theresa of Avila, I suppose it is a matter of preference. I started a study guide edition of the “Way of Perfection,” but stopped it to read her autobiography first, because it had some references to what she wrote there and then went back to it.Interior Castles was written after “Way of Perfection,” so it might be better to start with that first. It’s all good stuff!!!

40.png
mtr01:
If you read Sts John of the Cross and Teresa of Avila, then I would suggest the book that I am currently reading, Fire Within by Fr. Thomas Dubay. It’s a brilliant synthesis of sanjuanist and teresian thoughts on contemplative prayer. Fr. Dubay does a remarkable job of showing how each of the saints use their own terminology to discuss the same topics (which may not be completely apparent), as well as how their teaching is firmly rooted in the Gospel. In fact, he shows exactly how their message **is **the Gospel message. This book has been a very valuable source of information for me as I begin to answer the universal call to contemplative prayer.
Thank you. I had planned on getting that book a while ago, and then I completely forgot! I will make that my next book to get. Thanks again for the suggestion.

God bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back