Spiritual reading

• Thread starter Thread starter Patrick2340
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Patrick2340

I’d like some recommendations for good Catholic spiritual reading. This thread was inspired by the thread on the Purpose Driven Life book. I’ll start the first recommendation with The Imitation of Christ by Thomas a Kempis.

The Soul of the Apostolate - By Jean Baptiste Chautard

The Dialogue - By St. Catherine of Siena

God is Near Us - By Cardinal Ratzinger

Biographies of the Saints (too many to chose from)

I recommend: Story of a Soul by St. Therese and My Sister Saint Therese by her sister who was in the convent with her.

For one that is useful on a daily basis: Light and Peace which is a boiling down of the spiritual direction of St. Francis de Sales for lay people by a good solid priest. It is easy to read and easily lends itself to reading it in small bites. It is available at Tan Books.

40.png
Della:
I recommend: Story of a Soul by St. Therese and My Sister Saint Therese by her sister who was in the convent with her.

For one that is useful on a daily basis: Light and Peace which is a boiling down of the spiritual direction of St. Francis de Sales for lay people by a good solid priest. It is easy to read and easily lends itself to reading it in small bites. It is available at Tan Books.
Speaking of St. Francis, you can’t go wrong with* Introduction to the Devout Life.*

Also, The Spiritual Excercises of St. Ignatius.

I have tried the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius. A Jesuit told me about 7 years ago the reason I couldn’t get past the 5th one was that even the men in the Seminary need help with these Excercises. As I remember there are 12 of them. More power to you if you can do all of them. I couldnt.

‘Trustful Surrender to Divine Providence: the key to happiness’

cannot remember the name of the St. that wrote it but its awesome!

The Tree of Life, by Saint Bonaventure.

Treasure in Clay, the Autobiography of Archbishop Fulton Sheen.

The Confession of Saint Patrick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back