Spiritual readings

• Thread starter Thread starter Jorge
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jorge

I have been recomended two spiritual authors, and I was wondering if anybody come give some advice about them:

Father Henry Nouwen

Alice Rupp

I will appreciate any comment

both are extremely popular. i’ve read some nouwen. his first name is usually spelled henri. anyway, both are highly respected. i order many books from both authors for my bookstore. i’ve not read any rupp yet, but we have lots of requests for her books.

henri is pretty touchy-feely, in the same genre as say jean vanier. they’re both involved in l’arche communities, and have lots of very practical, somewhat subjective advice on life and relationships, both with God and with man, to share. i’ve not found anything remotely objectionable in nouwen’s writings, and usually find them enlightening.

i would highly recommend peter kreeft and michael o’brien, if you’re looking for good catholic writing. o’brien is fiction, but very very well written, and full of wisdom. if you like fiction, i’d also recommend chesterton’s stuff (the father brown books are delightful) and graham greene’s ‘the power and the glory’. greene is a great writer, along with walker percy and flannery o’conner, but i take the last couple with a grain of salt. great writers, but sometimes a bit racy and/or controversial.

everyone i’ve mentioned is catholic.

happy reading!

I have read one of Henri Nouwen’s books. It seems to me that he was somewhat liberal, but his writings are very good just the same. I want to read some of his other books. I think he would probably be a good one to read.

Archbishop Fulton Sheen was also a VERY GOOD writer. I LOVE his books. If you ever get a chance to read it, Treasure in Clay, his autobiography, is a very good book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back