(SPLIT) A question for non-Catholics on Sola Scriptura

  • Thread starter Thread starter hu324b
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
The funny thing about this is that the gospel that was preached to the Galatians was preached to them, not written down! Not part of scripture!
Hi Mack,

Not sure I see the point. All of scripture, except perhaps the Ten Commandments, was spoken then written. But even by the time of the end of the first century much of it was written down. Same gospel.

Jon
 
Hi Mack,

Not sure I see the point. All of scripture, except perhaps the Ten Commandments, was spoken then written. But even by the time of the end of the first century much of it was written down. Same gospel.

Jon
Hi Jon,

Yes, you quoted that scripture from Galatians, but I’m not sure how it related to Sola Scriptura. Maybe you can explain.

Because to me, Galatians 1:8 and following don’t seem to support SS but the very opposite, because the Galatians would have no way of being able to compare a new gospel to the old except by memory, since the initial gospel was purely oral. Oral tradition.

Of course the contents of the OT were mostly oral to begin with and finally began to be written down starting with Moses. Not so with the NT since the NT scriptures are written to begin with. But the initial gospel was preached, not written. Whether later written scriptures compare with the content of the preached gospel requires comparing it to oral tradition, to memory. John says, “Let that which you heard from the beginning abide in you.” Jn 2:24.

Same gospel? That is something we assume. And we don’t know that all of it was finally written down.
 
Hi Jon,

Yes, you quoted that scripture from Galatians, but I’m not sure how it related to Sola Scriptura. Maybe you can explain.

Because to me, Galatians 1:8 and following don’t seem to support SS but the very opposite, because the Galatians would have no way of being able to compare a new gospel to the old except by memory, since the initial gospel was purely oral. Oral tradition.

Of course the contents of the OT were mostly oral to begin with and finally began to be written down starting with Moses. Not so with the NT since the NT scriptures are written to begin with. But the initial gospel was preached, not written. Whether later written scriptures compare with the content of the preached gospel requires comparing it to oral tradition, to memory. John says, “Let that which you heard from the beginning abide in you.” Jn 2:24.

Same gospel? That is something we assume. And we don’t know that all of it was finally written down.
The Reformers meant, simply, that we should not accept or believe a Gospel other than what has been provided for us by scripture, and Tradition where it supports scripture.

Of course we assume it to be true, as a matter of faith. And I am certain not all of it was written down. John answers both, at the end of his gospel:
**24This is that disciple who giveth testimony of these things, and hath written these things; and we know that his testimony is true.

25But there are also many other things which Jesus did; which, if they were written every one, the world itself, I think, would not be able to contain the books that should be written.**

Jon
 
The Reformers meant, simply, that we should not accept or believe a Gospel other than what has been provided for us by scripture, and Tradition where it supports scripture.

Of course we assume it to be true, as a matter of faith. And I am certain not all of it was written down. John answers both, at the end of his gospel:
**24This is that disciple who giveth testimony of these things, and hath written these things; and we know that his testimony is true.

25But there are also many other things which Jesus did; which, if they were written every one, the world itself, I think, would not be able to contain the books that should be written.**

Jon
If anybody knows where I can get the MP3’s of the 40 days of instruction between the resurection and the ascension I will pay premium!
 
The Reformers meant, simply, that we should not accept or believe a Gospel other than what has been provided for us by scripture, and Tradition where it supports scripture.

Of course we assume it to be true, as a matter of faith. And I am certain not all of it was written down. John answers both, at the end of his gospel:
**24This is that disciple who giveth testimony of these things, and hath written these things; and we know that his testimony is true.

25But there are also many other things which Jesus did; which, if they were written every one, the world itself, I think, would not be able to contain the books that should be written.**

Jon
You mentioned Galatians 1:8 in seeming support of the idea of sola scriptura, which struck me as odd, since to me it does just the opposite–it indicates the need for remembering the initial preached, oral gospel, which can only be done in Tradition.

You’re right, it’s a matter of faith, or a pious belief, that the primary preached gospel was later completely written down, at least in indirect form. Tradition and Scripture of course cannot contradict one another since they both come from God. Tradition does support scripture, and prevents us from being ignorant or unlearned. 2Peter 3:16 Tradition and Scripture support one another and cannot really be separated.
 
I brought this up with a Baptist Friend - I was told that the bible was fully written at that time and now he avoids me at all cost and won’t talk to me anymore.He’s always been that way - the moment I question anything he says - he runs away and avoids me.

He told me if I can’t name the chapter and verse of anything I ask him about - I should not speak about it. As a catholic I do not rely on one liners so I don’t remember in that way - usually I will bring up the paragraph or the chapter.

I told him once not to use one liners with me that it is easily taken out of context that way - he actually did agree with me on that - but then went back to his one verse preachings.
If your Baptist friend wants chapter and verse, you should tell him that in the God-given format to begin with scripture did not have chapter and verse! Chapters and verses are simply a man-made tradition! Heck, there weren’t even spaces between the words.
 
I brought this up with a Baptist Friend - I was told that the bible was fully written at that time and now he avoids me at all cost and won’t talk to me anymore.He’s always been that way - the moment I question anything he says - he runs away and avoids me.

He told me if I can’t name the chapter and verse of anything I ask him about - I should not speak about it. As a catholic I do not rely on one liners so I don’t remember in that way - usually I will bring up the paragraph or the chapter.

I told him once not to use one liners with me that it is easily taken out of context that way - he actually did agree with me on that - but then went back to his one verse preachings.
John 5:39 You search the scriptures, because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness to me; 40 yet you refuse to come to me that you may have life.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top