Spooky Sunday Situation

• Thread starter Thread starter andersr915
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

andersr915

So I should probably start out by saying I struggle with prudential judgement, just so everyone knows I’m already aware I need to work on it.

That aside, I have a bit of an ethical dilemma regarding work on Sundays. Personally, I’m sort of conservative in this belief in that I just prefer not to exchange money on Sunday or work likewise. Like, I get there are some people who actually should like doctors and police and so on, but just people who don’t need to work I beleive should be given a break on Sundays to devote to God, if nothing else. The thing is though, I’m also aware we can’t just do nothing at all on Sunday, and while there are plenty of things to do at home, charity is permitted for the sake of giving life. With this in mind, hear me out.

My brother is currently between jobs (as am I sort of), and he is working at a haunted hayride attraction for the Halloween season until he finds something better, and it demands he work on Sundays. He’s not really with the faith himself, and I’ve been praying for him to come back aswell as being open to discussion with him about the faith when it comes up. The thing is, the hayride attraction is loosing lots of its actors very quickly (and its not even October, right?), and the management told the remaining actors, my brother among them, to reach out to anyone willing to act. So, obviously, he’s reaching out to me. Part of me thinks I should just continue looking for a more stable job, as taking this one could encourage further Sunday work aswell as risk desecration of the Lord’s day. Besides, the job itself is only for the Halloween season. On the other hand, perhaps taking the job could help bring my brother back, or at least steer him closer to that direction, by perhaps showing a little love and willingness to help out. The job isn’t an essential source of income for him or I alike, its just something to fill time since we both still live with aid from our parents. My thought is what if I took the job without pay, therefore making it more recreation than actual labor because I enjoy acting, then I could show my brother a little love while making the work charity rather than labor because I’d just be there to fill a spot and have fun. I could still go to church with the help of a 2am coffee on Sunday morning since I would probably be getting home at that time, sleep during the day, then be ready again for Sunday night.

And for what its worth, horror is somewhat spiritually enriching for me by way of facing fear, rejecting judgemental nature, and embracing solemn but harsh parts of reality. I mean, maybe there who works as a clown and is missing their lips and an eye out there who needs Jesus in their life.

Does it sound like I’m just talking myself into temptation? Your thoughts? Thank you!

Last edited:
You’re making this out to be way more than it has to be. If you aren’t comfortable with it, just say “I’m sorry, I’m not able to do that.” And just leave it at that.

Last edited:
This.

And, if you do want to do it then do it. Working is not forbidden on Sundays, even if you are not a fireman or brain surgeon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back