St. Catherine of Alexadria is back?

• Thread starter Thread starter Psalm45_9
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Psalm45_9

St. Catherine of Alexadria’s feast day, November 25th, was removed durring Vatican II. I believe it was because it was debatible if she really existed or not. But as of last year I saw she’s back on the Liturgical Calendar again, tomorrow’s her feast day. Does anyone know the official stance of why she was brought back on the calendar? I’m hoping this means that St. Christopher will come back too. I remeber reading that there is historical evidence that he existed, but the reason he was removed was because his feast day was on the same day as St. James, July 25th; and the Apostle should hold precidence over St. Christopher. Maybe he’ll come back on the calendar, but he’ll just have a different day.

Thanks for the info! (I happen to be quite fond of her as well.)

-Catherine

St Catherine of Alexandria is the patroness of our diocese here in Ontario…

I get the Magnificat monthly and there was a lengthy article in the November issue about St. Catherine (my patron saint). Here is an excerpt from the article. . .

…"For nearly a millenium, Catherine of Alexandria was one of the most celebrated female saints in Christendom. She was the embodiment of feminine excellence. She was the patroness of philosophy, of eloquence, of libraries. Her image graced churches everywhere and her symbol of martrydom, the spiked wheel known as the “Catherine Wheel”, was readily identifiable. Spinners, lacemakers, wheelwrights, cart drivers, ropeworkers, carpenters, millers, and anyone working in a trade connected with wheels invoked her and celebrated her feat.

And then she disappeared.

With the changes after Vatican II, many of the venerable old saints who had graced the liturgical calendar for centuries were removed in order to make room for new saints. Saints Christopher, Valentine, Linus, Maurice, Edward the Confessor, and most of the ancient virgin martyrs, like Catherine, were cut from the calendar. Their feasts were no longer celebrated by the universal Church.

As time marches on, new Christian heroes emerge. Yet older saints manage to gain new significance, like Agatha, who is now invoked against breast cancer, and the plague-saint, Sebastian, who is today invoked by those suffering from AIDS. Significantly, the memory of Catherine of Alexandria managed to endure for the last four decades even though her feast was not celebrated. She remains a potent female figure, so much so that she was recently reinstated on the liturgical calendar. And she has returned to her old feast day of November 25.

Like so many of the displaced saints, Catherine’s story is shrouded in legend. . ."

A beautiful painting of St. Catherine and several other now-obscure virgins, such as St. Barbara and St. Dorothy, is shown, and the symbols of the painting (the wheel, an enclosed garden, a dragon, a basket of flowers) are discussed.

The last words of the article in the Magnificat point, I think, to both worry and hope.

". . .The Second Vatican Council manded that all seminarians learn to interpret and appreciate Christian art, but it is an order that has gone largely unheeded. Thus the stories and symbols of a rich Catholic heritage drift slowly into obscurity.

Like the virgins assembled here."

The worry, of course is that in the last several decades many Catholics HAVE lost sight of stories and symbols of their heritage.

The hope is, that with the reemergence of those “obscured and displaced” saints, there will likewise be a reemergence, another renaissance if you will, of the richness and beauty of our Catholic heritage.

Let us pray: St. Catherine of Alexandria, pray for us.

She’s always been there in Orthodoxy and the Eastern Rites of the Church – we named our dd Katherine Alexandra – her dad’s taken her out for a special father/daughter day of celebration of her nameday (hence, I’m not in competition over computer time to cruise the net this afternoon:) .)

We’ll have a cake and small family celebration later today. . .

You know, St. Christopher was also a virgin and a martyr. I always wondered why chaste male Saints are never given the title “Virgin.” St. Christopher was tempted by two prostitues, which he managed to convert instead. He prayed that God would make him ugly as a dog to aid in his battle against sexual urges; which is why in Eastern Icons he is depicted with the head of a dog. He still has a feast day in the East, just like how the East always kept St. Catherine of Alexandria’s feast day, which was yesterday for them.

The only reason why I looked into the life of St. Catherine of Alexandria is because that is the name my mother took at her confirmation. She loved the stained glass window of her in our church. I asked my pastor who St. Catherine was and he told me about St. Catherine of Siena (he went to seminary post-Vatican II) So the article in the maginficat magazine has credibility. After I found out who St. Catherine of Alexandria was, I corrected him and told him that she was one of the voices that St. Joan of Arc heard. I was very pleased as well as perplexed when I noticed that she was back on the calendar last year.

Just because the legends surrounding a Saint aren’t necessarily all true, doesn’t mean the Saint did not exist. If Saint George didn’t really battle a dragon, so what? Doesn’t mean that there wasn’t a Saint George. Even Saints whose names seem to be false or confusions don’t mean that some Saint wasn’t the core or seed of that devotion, even if the name is messed up with time.

Also, just because a Saint is removed from the calendar, doesnt mean that they are not still a Saint for all other sakes (private devotion, art, etc)…perhaps there were just newer Saints with more credible stories surrounding them…

But if a legend excites devotion, and doesnt go against the doctrine of the faith…then these pious legends are really quite harmless, and must always be treasured as part of the Christian literary and artistic patrimony, even if we recognize that they are just legends that have been embellished over time.

40.png
batteddy:
Also, just because a Saint is removed from the calendar, doesnt mean that they are not still a Saint for all other sakes (private devotion, art, etc)…perhaps there were just newer Saints with more credible stories surrounding them…
I did not feel that way, I just started this thread because I was curious about why the Church has suddenly re-instituted her feast day, and interm, public devotion to her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back