St. Gerard, Patron of those Falsely Accused

• Thread starter Thread starter Joysong
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joysong

We lightly touched on this wonderful saint in another thread, and I have thought about it a good bit this afternoon. Rather than interrupt that thread, I think this holy saint’s life deserves another look by any who may have stumbled upon the mention of him.

For details of his horrible calumny and his relationship with St. Alphonsus during it all, see: cin.org/majella.html
Alphonsus sent for him at once, this time to take him to a father’s heart. When the holy Founder asked him why he had not said a single word in his defense, he replied: "How could I, my Father? Does not the Rule forbid me to excuse myself and to bear in silence whatever mortifications are imposed by the Superior?"

“Very good, very good, my son,” rejoined Alphonsus, with difficulty mastering his emotion, “go now and God bless you.” As we read in the Positio super virtutibus," it is well to note here that the rule in question is undoubtedly to be understood of excusing oneself where breaches of regular observance are concerned, and not where there is question of enormities so unworthy of a religious. Anybody else, no matter how obedient, would have thus interpreted that rule.

When Gerard in his great humility and utter heroism did not do so, he won the admiration of all his brethren, not excepting the holy Founder himself. The room that was the scene of this incident is still pointed out to Redemptorists who go on pilgrimage to Pagani in their comings and goings across the world.
Has anyone tried putting into practice the silent bearing of false witness without defending oneself? Can you share the experience with us?

There is another dynamic in this story that is just as heroic as Gerard’s.
St. Alphonsus was put in the position of having to fight against believing and/or judging the calumny about another saintly brother. He, being Superior, had the responsibility to shepherd those in his charge. What a trial this must have been for him, as well!

Having read St. Francis de Sales *Introduction, *wherein he speaks of the importance and duty of protecting our good name, I wonder what you think about the extremity of Gerard’s silence in enduring the calumny without defense. Is this imitable? Prudent? Virtuous?

OTOH, St. Teresa of Jesus advised that we should become practiced in accepting the occasional judgments of others, without excusing ourselves. She said that if it is truly necessary for the soul, God will vindicate it, but if He does not, it does the soul good to bear these affronts in silence.

How far should we practically understand his in our day, considering the different saints’ ways of handling it?

In my last post, I hoped to learn the answer to my question, “How far should we practically understand this in our day, considering the different saints’ ways of handling it?”

Praise be to God, I chanced upon what I believe is wise counsel as I read today from a book we have been discussing this week on the forum written by Jean-Pierre de Caussade. So timely!
Chapter 4, Section 5, titled: The less the soul is capable of defending itself in the state of self-abandonment, the more powerfully does God defend it.

The divine action sets free the soul and delivers it from all those low and feverish methods so necessary to human prudence. All this is necessary for Herod and the Pharisees, but the Magi have only to follow peacefully their star; the child need only rest in the arms of his mother, his enemies do him more good than harm. The more they try to oppose and trap him, the more tranqil and free will his activity be.

He will do nothing to win them over, he will not pay court to them to escape their blows; their jealousies, suspicions and persecutions are necessary for him. Thus lived Jesus Christ in Judea, thus he still lives in simple souls. He lives in their hearts generous, gentle, free, peaceful, without fear or need of anyone.

Well, this is a helpful thread to come across. I’m grateful to you for starting it, Joysong.

All’s I can say is that the reason I did not defend myself is because I was ill that day and was afraid that my condition would worsen if I even said anything. (I’m better now.) Otherwise, it’s really a personal matter that I’ve only shared with family members. But I did want to express my thanks to you for sharing the wisdom of St. Gerard and St. Teresa on this topic, because it does apply to my situation and may still help me to cope with any fallout. Now I can pray to them and remember the writings of Jean-Pierre de Caussade.

~~ the phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

It always brings me joy to find that someone is helped by the writings and examples of the saints, and I am especially glad you found comfort in this thread. It almost died and got buried in oblivion! 😃 I’m always astounded to find that God’s timing is so faithfully precise to help us when we most need it.

For me, it frequently comes ahead of time, kinda like the Shepherd going ahead of the sheep. I meditated on this due to John Russell’s thread right after Christmas, but I was in sore need of the principle yesterday, and there it was! What loving providence of Our God to be so attentive to the very hairs on our head!

So nice to see you again, for I have missed you.

Carole

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back