St Helen, any information?

• Thread starter Thread starter springbreeze
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

springbreeze

Dear friends

I would like to learn about St Helen. I have done web searches but not found alot out there about her.

Does anyone know anything about her or a site with information about her?

I’d be grateful for any replies

Thank you in advance and God Bless you

Teresa

I did an essay on her a while ago, but I can’t remember anything! I’ll try to find the site I got all my information from and I’ll post it on here. Have you tried the Catholic Encyclopedia?

www.newadvent.org/cathen

Michael

PS. Teresa, what county of the UK do you live in? You said it’s the county down from me… Is it Leicestershire?

Christus Rex:
I did an essay on her a while ago, but I can’t remember anything! I’ll try to find the site I got all my information from and I’ll post it on here. Have you tried the Catholic Encyclopedia?

www.newadvent.org/cathen

Michael

PS. Teresa, what county of the UK do you live in? You said it’s the county down from me… Is it Leicestershire?
Dear Michael

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

I did check the Catholic Encyclopedia but not much information there. I’d be very grateful if you would post any site or your own writings on St Helen.

Sorry about my geography, I should have said a county up from you! I’m in Derbyshire but I come across to the Nottinghamshire Diocese from time to time.

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

I found this link regarding St. Helen:

ichrusa.com/saintsalive/constant.htm

I love St. Helen and she is the Saint I grew up with because my mother was very very devoted to her. St Helen is always pictured holding the true Cross of Jesus Christ because she went searching for it. For this reason, my family always prays to her to intercede to find lost items. She has never let me down.

She is also my Confirmation name Saint.

😉

40.png
springbreeze:
Dear Michael

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

I did check the Catholic Encyclopedia but not much information there. I’d be very grateful if you would post any site or your own writings on St Helen.

Sorry about my geography, I should have said a county up from you! I’m in Derbyshire but I come across to the Nottinghamshire Diocese from time to time.

Teresa
Ey up mi duck! 😃

I just remembered - I think St. Helen is the same as St. Helena, so if you put in St. Helena on a search engine you should get a lot more!

I remember her being the mother of a Byzantine Emperor or something, nd she found the True Cross and kept it or something like that… anyway, try searching St. Helena and see what you find. 😉

Try the Catholic Encyclopedia with St. Helena… www.newadvent.org/cathen

I did look for the essay I did on Saint Helen, but it looks like it was lost when my computer crashed a few months ago 😦

Michael

40.png
springbreeze:
Dear friends

I would like to learn about St Helen. I have done web searches but not found alot out there about her.

Does anyone know anything about her or a site with information about her?

I’d be grateful for any replies

Thank you in advance and God Bless you

Teresa

She was not from Colchester, alas (despite the tale) - her place of birth seems to have been Naissus, the modern Nish:​

nis.org.yu/istorija/history/medijanae.html

She built many churches, and was about 80 when she died (in 336 or so).

She was married by Constantine Chlorus (one of Diocletian’s colleagues in ruling the Roman Empire) who was well-disposed to Christianity, and avoided persecuting Christians in his part of the Empire, which included Roman Britain; Constantine the Great was their son. Both he and his mother have been honoured as Saints, though she is the one who has been honoured as such in the West, more than he has.

She is an important figure in one of several versions of the narrative of the discovery of the True Cross, and is important also as an early royal pilgrim to the Holy Land.

Any help 🙂 ? ##

Christus Rex:
Ey up mi duck! 😃

I just remembered - I think St. Helen is the same as St. Helena, so if you put in St. Helena on a search engine you should get a lot more!

I remember her being the mother of a Byzantine Emperor or something, nd she found the True Cross and kept it or something like that… anyway, try searching St. Helena and see what you find. 😉

Try the Catholic Encyclopedia with St. Helena… www.newadvent.org/cathen

I did look for the essay I did on Saint Helen, but it looks like it was lost when my computer crashed a few months ago 😦

Michael
Wasn’t she the mother of Constantine, who ended the Roman persecutions of the Catholic Church?

Dear friends

Thank you everyone for all of your help and time in finding information on St Helen. I have found all the information that I need and I’m very grateful to you all.

Especially for my Nottinghamshire friend…‘Ay-up, am doin alraeght. Ow tha doin?’😃

God Bless you all and much love and peace to you

Teresa

40.png
springbreeze:
Dear friends

Thank you everyone for all of your help and time in finding information on St Helen. I have found all the information that I need and I’m very grateful to you all.
I’m very pleased I could have been of any help to you 😉
Especially for my Nottinghamshire friend…‘Ay-up, am doin alraeght. Ow tha doin?’😃
Especially for my Derbyshire friend: ha ha ha! 😃 I’m doin greeeat, now yur askin, ta
Same to you 🙂

Michael

If you have devotion to, or even interest in, St. Helena, you might want to find an ancient coin with her image. It’s kind of fun having coins with some connection to religion.

40.png
mpav:
If you have devotion to, or even interest in, St. Helena, you might want to find an ancient coin with her image. It’s kind of fun having coins with some connection to religion.
Dear friend

That might be hard to do…I have a friend who has a metal detector, she’ll probably be up for the challenge! That’s as close as I am going to get to finding an ancient Roman coin 😃

Thanks for the suggestion though.🙂

Teresa

Springbreeze,
Do you know about her connection with the British Isles?

St. Helena, Empress and Widow

groups.yahoo.com/group/celt-saints/message/1647

Died 19 August 330. Feastday 18 August also. In the Orthodox Churches her feast is observed on 21 May.

Helena (or Helen) was born about 255, and married to the Roman general Constantius Chlorus, who became emperor of Britain, Gaul, and Spain when Diocletian divided the Empire. In 274 she bore him a son, Constantine, but in 292 he divorced her in order to cement a political alliance by another marriage. Most historians say that she was born in Drepanum (now Helenopolis) in Asia Minor; but an old tradition asserts that she was born in Britain, in Colchester (51:54 N 0:54 E), and was the daughter of
the chieftain Cole, remembered today as Old King Cole. If so, she may have been a Christian from birth, since Christianity was well established in that region.

In 306, after the death of Constantius, the army at York proclaimed Constantine emperor in his father’s place, and by 312 he was master of the Western Empire and issued an Edict of Toleration that made the practice of Christianity legal for the first time in over 200 years.

Helena worked enthusiastically to promote Christianity, and eventually went to the Holy Land, where she spent large sums on the relief of the poor and on building churches on sacred sites. She is particularly associated with the discovery at Jerusalem, near the site of Calvary, of the cross on which the Lord Jesus was crucified.

At least two prominent English novelists have written about her. Evelyn Waugh wrote a novel called Helena, and Dorothy L Sayers wrote a play called *The Emperor Constantine * for the 2000th anniversary of the founding of the city of Colchester. I have not read the former, but can recommend the latter as interesting and informative, both historically and theologically.

The twelfth-century historian, Geoffrey of Monmouth, claimed that Helen, mother of the Emperor Constantine and discoverer of the true Cross, was a British woman, daughter of King Coel of Colchester. In the Welsh Mabinogion, she is described as a Welsh princess, bride of the self-styled emperor, Magnus Maximus, who was led by a dream to find her. This belief was strong enough for the belief to grow up that she was responsible for the Roman roads (now marked on Ordnance Survey maps as
the Sarn Helen) which link Wales from the north to south.

Kontakion of Ss Constantine and Helena, tone 3
Today Constantine and Helena his mother expose to our veneration the Cross, / the awesome Cross of Christ, / a sign of salvation to the Jews/ and a standard of victory:/ a great symbol of conquest and triumph.

I found two articles here on Saint Helen’s connection with Colchester… look for the links in the left column.

homepage.ntlworld.com/orthodox.colchester/index.html
  1. St Helen’s Chapel
    The history of an ancient, lovely and holy Temple
  2. The story of St Helen’s traditional connection with Colchester and with the Chapel is told in the page on this website entitled SS Constantine and Helen: Colchester’s Claim to Fame
St Helen’s Chapel in Colchester

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/orthodox.colchester/images/sthelench.jpg

Fr Ambrose:
I found two articles here on Saint Helen’s connection with Colchester… look for the links in the left column.

1. St Helen’s Chapel
  2. The story of St Helen’s traditional connection with Colchester and with the Chapel is told in the page on this website entitled SS Constantine and Helen: Colchester’s Claim to Fame

Dear Fr Ambrose

Thank you for all of your hard work Fr Ambrose! The area where I live is called St Helen’s and I live in an old Roman settlement which is now a very large town. As I live in the an area called St Helen’s I was very interested to find out more about her. Thank you everyone who has been kind in finding information out about her.

Teresa

Fr Ambrose:

1. St Helen’s Chapel

On Coel himself: britannia.com/bios/ebk/coelhnt.html

Re #11

Ancient coins are readily available online and at coin shows and shop. A decent one with Helena could probably be had for @ 25 US dollars. I have purchased a number of uncleaned ancients over the past few years, as well as better ancients. They are not necessarily expensive, and can be had. Try ebay.

40.png
mpav:
Re #11

Ancient coins are readily available online and at coin shows and shop. A decent one with Helena could probably be had for @ 25 US dollars. I have purchased a number of uncleaned ancients over the past few years, as well as better ancients. They are not necessarily expensive, and can be had. Try ebay.
Dear Mpav

Thank you very much for this information. I had no idea such ancient things were so easy to get hold of ( I had honestly thought my friend and I would have to aimlessly wander about with her metal detector:rotfl: ). That’s a revelation to me! I’m no good at Ebay, but my Mum is so I’ll ask her if she can have a scout round the site for me and order one for me. I may even buy a few as gifts for my family who all live in the same area. You’ve been more than kind and helpful, thank you for all of your time and effort.

Teresa

Gottle of Geer said:

Dear Gottle of Geer

Thank you very much for that link. I’m learning so much here and had no idea that the nursery rhyme ‘Ole King Cole’ originated from Coel!

Thank you very much for taking the the time to find this, very kind of you.

Teresa

Dear friends
40.png
Kyenta:
I found this link regarding St. Helen:

ichrusa.com/saintsalive/constant.htm

I love St. Helen and she is the Saint I grew up with because my mother was very very devoted to her. St Helen is always pictured holding the true Cross of Jesus Christ because she went searching for it. For this reason, my family always prays to her to intercede to find lost items. She has never let me down.

She is also my Confirmation name Saint.

😉
Thank you for that Kyenta.

I am wondering, did St Helena find the True Cross of Christ Jesus or did she search for it without finding it. Is it legend about her or is it fact?

Thank you in advance for any information that anyone can find.

Teresa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back