St. Jean-Marie Vianney

• Thread starter Thread starter GrzeszDeL
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GrzeszDeL

http://www.catholic-forum.com/saints/saintj18.jpg
If people would do for God what they do for the world, what a great number of Christians would go to Heaven.

Today is the feast of St. John Vianney, better known as the Curé d’Ars. Holy John was a farm hand who in his youth taught other children their prayers and catechism. He had felt a calling to the priesthood from his youth. He was finally ordained a priest at the age of 30, though it took several years study as he was not a very good student, and his Latin was terrible.

He was assigned to the parish of Ars, a tiny village near Lyons, which suffered from very lax attendance; he began visiting his parishioners, especially the sick and poor. He spent days in prayer, doing penance for his parishioners. He was gifted with discernment of spirits, prophecy, hidden knowledge, but also tormented by evil spirits, especially when he tried to get his 2-3 hours of sleep each night.

He soon gained a wide reputation for simple wisdom. Thousands came to hear him preach, and to make their reconciliation because of his reputation with penitents. It was said that he spent nearly ten hours a day hearing confessions! Many of his sermons (like the one on frequent communion) are spiritual classics.

Holy John is the patron of Dubuque-IA, Kansas City-KA, and priests. As such, today would be a good day to pray for the many priests who struggle to shepherd their flocks wisely that God will bless them and make them good shepherds. It would also be a fine day to pray for Dubuque and KC.

Holy John Mary Vianney, pray for us!

http://www.catholic-forum.com/saints/stj18001.jpg

All our religion is but a false religion, and all our virtues are mere illusions and we ourselves are only hypocrites in the sight of God, if we have not that universal charity for everyone - for the good, and for the bad, for the poor and for the rich, and for all those who do us harm as much as those who do us good.

I have read a biography of St Jean-Marie Vianney, and there is no question that he was extremely holy. However, there are a few things that trouble me. Perhaps you can help me with this. The first is that sometimes he refused absolution to penitents. The reason why this troubles me is that this is part of what the Jansenists did. The second thing is that he railed so much against dancing. Now, I don’t really know what kind of dancing he was referring to, so he may have been right to be outraged. Even at that though, he was still an extremely holy priest. He obviously had a great care and concern for his flock, and helped them very much.

40.png
Benignus:
The first is that sometimes he refused absolution to penitents.
A priest is required to refuse absolution is he knows that the sacrament is invalid due to the penitant not sharing all the sins he knows about, not be contrite at all, or having no intention to try to amend his ways.

For instance, if an Abortionist came to confession and confessed the abortions he had committed but planned to continue committing abortions, he could not be forgiven, and the priest should tell him this and not absolve him.

Thank you so much! This really clears things up for me. Currently I am not Catholic, though I have a great desire to become Catholic, if the Lord works out all the circumstances. I don’t really know that much about Canon Law, so thank you for telling me this.

40.png
Benignus:
Currently I am not Catholic, though I have a great desire to become Catholic, if the Lord works out all the circumstances. .
Putting it all in God’s hands is the most wonderful, and humble, thing you can do. You will be included in our prayers of hope for you to come home, and prayers of thanksgiving for the apparent graces God is giving to you.

If you happen to find a copy of the sermons of St Vianney, is is powerful stuff. He tells/told it straight. I often read some during Adoration - a true reality check.

God Bless
MrShttp://forums.catholic-questions.org/images/icons/icon14.gif

Thank you very much for your prayers! The “circumstances” to which I am referring have nothing to do with me personally. Its my parents, specifically my stepdad. My mom supports my desire to be Catholic, but my stepdad is hesitating about letting me. You see, my parents are Anglican, and officially so am I. However, in my heart I am a Catholic.

By the way, I have a book of St. Jean-Marie Vianney’s sermons and I think they are very powerful. In fact, I was just reading one this morning about having true religion in our hearts.

God Bless you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back