St john vianney spiritual communion

  • Thread starter Thread starter Merrick
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Merrick

Guest
There are some who make a spiritual communion every day with blessed bread. If we are deprived of Sacramental Communion, let us replace it, as far as we can, by spiritual communion, which we can make every moment; for we ought to have always a burning desire to receive the good God.

theworkofgod.org/Devotns/Euchrist/Topics/frequentholycommunion.htm

I see that bolded quote a lot when I’ve searched about spiritual communion online. What is that practice referring to? Is it okay to make spiritual communions with food – for example, saying grace over a meal, making an act of spiritual communion, remembering the eucharist during my dinner or breakfast, then say a thanksgiving grace? St. John Vianney refers to making spiritual communions with blessed bread when sacramental communion isn’t available. (I know a spiritual communion can be made without food at all which is how I’ve done it, but I like the idea of meditating on the eucharist while I eat.)
 
Does anyone at least know about the practice St. Vianney references about making a spiritual communion with blessed bread? For example, was that a monastic practice? Was the blessed bread blessed by a priest for that purpose? Is this still a practice in modern times?

I can’t find any other information about it.
 
**
Merrick, I believe that you are referring to information in an article in the New Advent Catholic Encyclopedia which you can find here;

newadvent.org/cathen/04175a.htm**

And then scroll down to the bold type that says;

History of disciplinary variations
 
**
Merrick, I believe that you are referring to information in an article in the New Advent Catholic Encyclopedia which you can find here;

newadvent.org/cathen/04175a.htm**

And then scroll down to the bold type that says;

History of disciplinary variations
In the context of the quote I mentioned St. Vianney seems to be talking strictly of spiritual communion when sacramental communion cannot be obtained
 
Does anyone at least know about the practice St. Vianney references about making a spiritual communion with blessed bread? For example, was that a monastic practice? Was the blessed bread blessed by a priest for that purpose? Is this still a practice in modern times?

I can’t find any other information about it.
I never have heard of Spiritual Communion with “blessed” bread !! God Bless, Memaw
 
Could this be like the practice of some Eastern Orthodox, their holy bread comes from one loaf that is blessed, part of which is consecrated and distributed during communion. The remainder of the blessed bread is handed out along with wine to include those who did or did not receive communion. I was told this is called, antidoron, instead of gifts

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antidoron
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top