St. Lucy or Lucia?

• Thread starter Thread starter mjdonnelly
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mjdonnelly

One of my students wants the confirmation name of Lucia, but she was unsure if it was the name of a saint. The only one I could find was St. Lucy. Is Lucia just another form of Lucy? I think it may be just like Michelle is of Michael or through differences in languages.

40.png
mjdonnelly:
One of my students wants the confirmation name of Lucia, but she was unsure if it was the name of a saint. The only one I could find was St. Lucy. Is Lucia just another form of Lucy? I think it may be just like Michelle is of Michael or through differences in languages.
Yes, Lucia is just another form of Lucy. Here is St Lucy/Lucia’s information.She is known under both forms of Lucy.

Click Here

St. Lucia is very much revered in Scandinavia and then especially Sweden. This veneration have survived the reformation and is still very popular even if Scandinavia mostly is Evangelical-Lutheran.

OSV has a book on Saint Names for Boys and for Girls, and also a dictionary of saints, so you can find the variations in other languages, and find a saint for unlikely names that actually have an origin in the name of a saint, prophet, angel, virtue, attribute of Mary, or other acceptable Catholic meaning. We have not done Confirmation names here, because it is not the custom, nor was it done when my 4 children were confirmed, I honestly thought the custom had been done away with. I am thinking of reviving it in our parish. But we do patron saints in November, and we were able to find saints for Tiffany, Amber, Crystal, Perla, Todd, Chad, Jason and a variety of other contemporary names. These books also give feminine and masculine variations of saint names (Jessica, my granddaughter’s name, comes from the OT patriarch Jesse, father of King David, for example, but the priest said she had to have a saint for a middle name, so it is my name, Anne.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back