St Nicholas

• Thread starter Thread starter Teresa9
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Teresa9

http://www.retirementwithapurpose.com/images/1x1spacer_transparent.gifWhy Jesus is Better Than Santa Claus?

http://www.retirementwithapurpose.com/images/1x1_greyline.gif

http://www.retirementwithapurpose.c...mages/article/jesusbetterthansanta/1.jpgSanta lives at the North Pole…
JESUS is everywhere.

Santa rides in a sleigh…
JESUS rides on the wind and walks on the water.

Santa comes but once a year…
JESUS is an ever present help.

Santa fills your stockings with goodies…
JESUS supplies all your needs.

Santa comes down your chimney uninvited…
JESUS stands at your door and knocks, and then enters your heart when invited.

You have to wait in line to see Santa…
JESUS is as close as the mention of His name.

Santa lets you sit on his lap…
JESUS lets you rest in His arms.

Santa doesn’t know your name, all he can say is “Hi little boy or girl, what’s your name?”…
JESUS knew our name before we were born. Not only does He know our name, He knows our address too. He knows our history and future and He even knows how many hairs are on our heads.

Santa has a belly like a bowl full of jelly…
JESUS has a heart full of love

All Santa can offer is HO HO HO…
JESUS offers health, help and hope.

Santa says “You better not cry”…
JESUS says "Cast all your cares on me for I care for you."

Santa’s little helpers make toys…
JESUS makes new life, mends wounded hearts, repairs broken homes and builds mansions.

Santa may make you chuckle but…
JESUS gives you joy that is your strength.

While Santa puts gifts under your tree…
JESUS became our gift and died on a tree…the cross.

We need to put Christ back in CHRISTmas
, Jesus is still the reason for the season.

“For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life” (John 3:16).

Found the above on a website…

Below some links that explain who St Nicholas is:

newadvent.org/cathen/11063b.htm

devotions.co.uk/st-nicholas.shtml

As you will know St Nicholas is a far cry from the Santa presented today. My daughter enjoyed the real story of St Nicholas so much I am still telling it to her, I think we must be on the 12th repeat of the story! She loves it and I hope she passes it on to her children when she is older, instead of how St Nicholas is represented as Santa Claus in the world of today. St Nicholas was the first Santa Claus and the truth is always better than anything our imaginations can come up with…

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

Saint Nickolaus or Sacnta Clause was a Catholic Priest Named Father Nickolaus. He liked to give money to the poor people in his parish. Maybe because of his spirit of Giving the people nicknamed Father Nickolous Father Christmas?

The Pope Loved Father Nickolaus and one day he made him Cardinal. Father Nickolaus receiverd his red suit and because he was a pious priest he did not shave and gave away all he had. Father Nickolaus died and he layed in the tomb. His body did not decay. He worked great miracles in his life and so the pope ordered a commision to Beatify Cardinal Nickolaus. Than he was made a saint or in latin Sancta and in Latin Spanish Santo and to shorten his name people called him Santo Klaus or Sancta Klaus.

Teresa,

That was very beautifully presented here, and we need these reminders in the hustle and bustle of what CHRISTmas is all about.

Bill,

I appreciate the summary you gave us about St. Nickolaus, which was new to me. Thanks so much!

Friends,

This too, will help put things into proper perspective:
llerrah.com/truemeaningofchristmas.htm

A very Merry and holy Christmas everyone,
Carole

40.png
Joysong:
I appreciate the summary you gave us about St. Nickolaus, which was new to me. Thanks so much!
It should be new to you, it was a bit off. Although the story does capture some of the spirit of Saint Nicholas, bishop of Myra. Bill’s story seems like one of the delightful tales and legends that have grown up around this saintly man of the church, and I appreciate it in it’s retelling as an indication of how deeply he has touched the hearts of people in every time and place since.

Saint Nicholas lived during the time of the First Council of Nicea in 325 and the controversy over Arian teachings. This was before the Great Schism between East and West, so bishop Saint Nicholas could be considered Eastern Catholic in the same sense his contemporary Pope Saint Sylvester I could be considered Western Orthodox!

http://saints.oca.org/IconDirectory/xsm/december/1206Nicholas-mh.jpg
  • Nicholas’ reputation for charitable works grew during his lifetime and after his death on December 6, 343. After the Virgin Mary and St. John the Forerunner he was the most revered saint in the early Church. The Emperor Justinian instituted his feast day in the liturgical calendar on December 6 and dedicated a splendid church in his memory in Constantinople. By popular acclamation he was declared a saint worthy of universal veneration.*
He was never a Cardinal, sorry.

Michael, that sinner

+T+

I know it was meant in fun, but I thought it was offensive to poke fun at the derivative of Bishop Nicholas of Myra, who is still very much a venerated figure for Eastern Rite Catholics. I detest the commericalization of Christmas, particularly in the US, but I think it would be more useful to question why Santa Clause is more well known than the stories of St. Nicholas. Obviously, no one compares to Jesus, ever.

Nicholas of Myra did much to help provide dowries for poor women who wanted to marry, and who were at risk of becoming prostitutes because of their lack of duns for their livelihood and to make them elgible spouses, in addition to his help for children. He is also credited with making the church more accessible to the average person.

ewtn.com/library/MARY/NICHOLAS.htm

newadvent.org/cathen/11063b.htm

Im sorry but I wasnt aware there was a schism in the 3rd century between “eastern rite” and the “roman Catholic Church”. The pope is rectifying that now. So you will have one more thing to complain about in a few more years. You wont be able to bad mouth Byzantines anymore like some of you have been…

The history on Sankt Nicholous is some 1700 years old. Some of it says he was a bishop but the traditional art and story of him wearing red seams to indicate otherwise. Perhaps at the time there was little disctinction between Cardinals and Bisops, since it was only 300 years after the death of Christ. Less than the history of the US.

Dear friends

Your country is only since it’s beginnings of those who travelled there is about 400 odd years, which is nothing in regards to what was there present before you nor countries of more historical nature. I have found the USA to set little store by history nor by the wider world, the USA is very insular and sees little beyond itself, it is not the world’s police, nor should it ordain to the rest of the world what is relevant and what is not though oftentimes it does. You have much but you have little in many ways and what you do have does not mean that the rest of us want it…

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

40.png
Hesychios:
. . .
Saint Nicholas lived during the time of the First Council of Nicea in 325 and the controversy over Arian teachings. This was before the Great Schism between East and West, so bishop Saint Nicholas could be considered Eastern Catholic in the same sense his contemporary Pope Saint Sylvester I could be considered Western Orthodox!
. . .

He was never a Cardinal, sorry.

Michael, that sinner

+T+
At that time I think the Cardinals were the actual Bishops etc of the archdiocese of Rome. The title Cardinal and the bestowal of the title on those outside of Rome was a later development.

One story I like of Nicea is Saint Nicholas was getting nowhere in trying to explain things to the heretic Arius. To make his point clearer he walked across the hall and belted Arius, knocking him to the ground.

He had persuasive powers 😉

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back