St. Teresa of Avila

• Thread starter Thread starter glow8worm
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

glow8worm

I have to give a presentation on St. Teresa of Avila. Does anyone have any good adivse on where to get info that is easy to understand. She was very very complicated!

Hi Glow8worm–What level of presentation are you going to give? Highschool or college? I would suggest “the Life Story of St. Teresa of Avila By Herself”–Penguin Classic publication for some good all around information and an intro to her theology. Yes, she can be hard to grasp at first, but belief in her ideas will help your understanding. I hope God leads you to become interested enough in her ideas to start to apply them to your own life.–nicolo

Well, St Teresa of Avila is a favorite for many of our posters on this board.

I’ve sometimes wished there was a short introduction I could recommend to people, but I haven’t found one.

Like the previous poster, the best I can recommend is to read the Life followed by Way of Perfection and Interior Castle.

It’ll take a long time, perhaps much longer than you had in mind, but I think you’ll find it time well spent.

You can start with the online Catholic Encyclopedia entry. Also, if your parish, school or college library has it, Butler’s lives of the Saints.
Do a Google search for Saint Teresa of Jesus (her professed Religious name - Avila was where she was born.) or Avila. Should give you loads of stuff.

Saint Teresa was from a rich merchant family who were Jewish Converts. Her grandfather converted to Catholicism in the 1470’s.

her three best known books are:
The Way of Perfection 1569
The Interior Castle 1577
The Book of Her Life 1566
I wouldn’t start with the books unless you have a few months as they require a quite slow, contemplative approach to the reading. They are very deep veins of spiritual richness and will greatly bless and enhance your Catholic faith.

There are a number of good biographies and studies of Saint Teresa, her life, her mission, her spirituality. She was a mystic and experienced many visions of Our Lady and Our Lord but she was also very grounded in the everyday practicalities of managing a religious community. In her book The Way of Perfection, a treatise on prayer there are numerous shrewd comments and observations concerning the practicalities of religious life and living in community as well as notes on prayer. For St. Teresa it was all one.

She reformed (some say ‘refounded’) the Carmelite Order. Her 'branch of the Carmelite family are the Discalced ( a word meaning ‘shoeless’, another name for poverty) Carmelites, also known as the Teresian Camelites. She founded over 18 communities during her life as well as being a spiritual director in her own right and being a very good Prioress and novice mistress. For a period St. Teresa’s confessor and spiritual adviser was St. John of the Cross, whom she advised to found the Discalced Friars.

Naturally, as an ‘Aspirant’ of the Secular Discalced Carmelites she is my very favourite Saint. Her Feast day is October 15th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back