Stages of Marriage

  • Thread starter Thread starter Blenderx
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Blenderx

Guest
Are there different stages of marriage? What has been your experience? For example, we’ve all heard of the honeymoon stage. How long did that last for you? What came after?

In another month, we’ll be celebrating our 4th anniversary, so I guess I’m just curious.
 
Been married 27 years, and we still joke we’re on our honeymoon. Ha Ha. That intense desire to constantly be holding each other settles into home life. You’ve had a lot of intense changes with having so many young children so soon. Just remember those love bugs will grow up & move out in 18 years. Raising children takes so much time, and energy sometimes we forget our first love, our spouse. Remember he is your primary love. Put him first. Arrange to have a date night once a week. You need that time with just the two of you! You need to talk, and reconnect. You need to have fun together!

There will be easy times, and intensely difficult times. Always show respect for your man. Women crave affection, men crave respect. Be thankful, and compliment him when ever you can. If you both are willing to keep turning to each other, and make time, and the choice, to love each other, you’ll make it!

May God Bless your young tribe 🙂
 
Well, I have only been married about 3 1/2 years, but I would have to say that we def. have had some stages in our marriage. Our first year was actually really hard and a little miserable.Our early marriage was definitely not the honey moon phase. We had a hard time adjusting to living with each other, we fought a lot about his Mom (his mother wanted to borrow large sums of money and for us to cosign on a very large loan), and we were far away from all of our friends and family. After that first year things started looking up. Our marriage grew stronger and stronger and I would say the second year was probably more of a honeymoon stage. Our third year was also good and our marriage just keeps on getting better. We are very happy and our communication is great. Couldn’t ask for a better husband.
 
I’ve been married almost 11 years and those first 5 years were the hardest. We were trying to figure each other out, figure out what our roles were, pushing against expectations, etc. Once we hit that 5 year mark we found our groove. We still have ups and downs but the longer we’re married the more we’re settling down into the roles that work best for us.
 
There will be easy times, and intensely difficult times. Always show respect for your man. Women crave affection, men crave respect.)
I never knew this before. I knew women generally crave affection more, but I did not ever realize the equivalent for men was respect. It makes a lot of sense now that you said it.
 
I never knew this before. I knew women generally crave affection more, but I did not ever realize the equivalent for men was respect. It makes a lot of sense now that you said it.
That part struck me too. Thank you Regina Love!
 
There are definitely stages to your marriage. It’s like the seasons/stages in your own personal life. Sometimes you go through periods where you are very, very ambitious/passionate about something you want to do/accomplish, then there are the stages where you feel content and wouldn’t change a thing, sometimes there is a spell of “what next?” or boredom, sometimes you feel unsettled/discontent. It’s all normal.

In a little over 3 months, we will celebrate our 12th anniversary. My dh & I have experienced all of those feelings I mentioned above. We don’t always feel the same way at the same time, but that’s ok. We talk about it - what to do to help the other one through the stage (if it’s a less than desirable feeling), what it means for our marriage, what we feel we need to do, etc.

I don’t put much importance on a scheduled date night (we do have one son, 10, so we can’t just do whatever we want, whenever we want). Sometimes, just sitting after he is in bed and talking, watching something together that we both enjoy, etc., is better than any date night outside of the house. But again, that’s what works for us. Others might need to physically get out and do something.

Always be communicating, and that will take you far, IMO. 🙂
 
Are there different stages of marriage? What has been your experience? For example, we’ve all heard of the honeymoon stage. How long did that last for you? What came after?

In another month, we’ll be celebrating our 4th anniversary, so I guess I’m just curious.
Yeah, for me it’s like this:

Marriage Before Kids
Being Parents
Having Teenagers
Kids Leaving Home for College

I haven’t gotten to the next phase yet, which is Kids Leaving Home Permanently.

The reason the teenage phase is broken out on its own is that teens demand a different type of parenting. More like coaching. You have to learn to let go of them to a certain extent, yet still know when to close down any truly unsafe behavior.

We were married 2 years before our first was born. So we had quite a bit of fun, going here and there on weekends, spontaneous travel, etc. We’re there again now that both of our sons are away at college. It’s weird though, as both of us would rather have them come home than have that freedom. Once you become a family, you’re never the same again. The house just doesn’t feel right without them in it.

I dread to think of when they are married with families of their own, especially knowing that the husband normally spends more time with the wife’s parents than with his own.

😦

For right now, hubby and I are still trying to find out way into our new relationship. It’s very weird.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top