Stats on Catholics, Confession, & Psychiatric problems

  • Thread starter Thread starter mistfall
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mistfall

Guest
Hello all,

I have heard Catholic apologists say that in pre-Vatican 2 days, Catholics had the lowest rate among demographic groups of seeking help for psychiatric problems.

I’d like to incorporate this info in to a blog entry I’m writing (on MySpace- seems like a good evangelizing opportunity!) but I would like to be able to give a reference for this “fact” and verify its authenticity.

I’ve done an internet search to no avail. Can anyone point me toward the source of this information?

Thanks,
Mary
 
Can’t help with the quote, but don’t assume that Catholics having a low rate of seeking help means Catholics had the lowest rate of mental problems.

Until the 1950’s American Catholics were generally lower on the socio-economic scale than Protestants and thus had less access to mental health services.
 
I have heard Catholic apologists say that in pre-Vatican 2 days, Catholics had the lowest rate among demographic groups of seeking help for psychiatric problems.
Fr. Ripperger has degrees in theology and a PhD in psychology. He was the first person I’ve heard to say the same thing in these video presentations of his book Introduction to the Science of Mental Health (see if your library has it here):
July 2, 2006
July 9, 2006
July 16, 2006

Since psychology is the study of the soul, it makes sense that priests, who want to save souls with God’s grace, are the masters of healing the soul.

You might be interested in this dissertation, which cites Fr. Ripperger’s book. It also has an excellent bibliography of Catholic psychology books.

I have also attached Psychotherapy & Catholic Confession (Worthen 1974): View attachment 12310
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top