Stigmata

• Thread starter Thread starter puzzleannie
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

puzzleannie

Exceptionally holy people have throughout Christian history exhibited on their own hands and feet the marks of Christ’s crucifixion as a sign of their spiritual union with His suffering and redemptive sacrifice. These include St Francis, Padre Pio but also other suffering souls who not only have the visible marks but endure the physical pains of those wounds.

I would suggest this phenomenon is not only a sign of the holiness of the subject (when it is genuine) but the suffering is actually the route to holiness traveled by the subject. I would further suggest that any Christian who suffers physical or psychic affliction (which means every Christian since this is a suffering world) can, to the degree he identifies with and aspires to union with the suffering Christ on the cross, experience the stigmata. And that this experience of union with Christ is the route to holiness and increase in virtue.

when I received carpal tunnel therapy, my doctor who is interested in the topic, told me the nerve damage, pain and other effects are similar to that experienced by Christ when the nails pierced his wrists.

meditating on the crucifix tonite after communion, I saw that the sculptor has succeeded in depicting the muscle spasm and contortion of the feet caused by the nail. This spasm is familiar in a lesser degree to anyone who has a severe Morton’s neuroma. Anyone with hernia, gallbladder disease, kidney stone or suffering pancreatic or liver cancer knows about the piercing pain in the side. Migraine sufferers can identify with the crowning with thorns.

the quadraplegic or otherwise helpless one, paralyzed and confined to bed or wheel chair knows the helplessness Christ experienced on the Cross.

Those who suffer mockery for their beliefs, those mistreated in prison and those convicted and jailed unjustly know about the scourging. Those who have been abused by priests and others charged with their care know bitterly what it is to be betrayed by a Judas.

We all bear the wounds of the stigmata to a greater or lesser degree, but fail to recognize these wounds, scars and sufferings as means allowed by God to bring us into union with Christ. While there is nothing wrong, and much that is good in praying for healing, asking for the sacraments of healing, and seeking competent medical help for curable ailments, we must not forget the value of consecrating the many incurable ills and failings of life and aging, by uniting them by act of will to the Cross.

That is an awsome reflection:) I am going to reflect on that myself, certain Bible verses come to mind now concerning what you said,not only does it make sense I can see the evidence in my life as well,thanks puzzle.God Bless

Amen!

Mother Teresa once told St. Faustina that “Our Lord must love you much to give you so great a part of His suffering.”

I have a chronic illness that has caused much nerve damage throughout my body. Sometimes I get “cramps” in my tendons and ligaments that feel sort of like a charlie-horse in the muscle. One day at Eucharistic adoration I was feeling this especially in my hands. As I looked up at Jesus’ hands on the crucifix, His hands were in a half-clenched position, much like my hands felt. I realized that He not only knew my pain, but experienced so much worse than I ever have. It is then that we can offer our pain and join in Jesus’ suffering for the salvation of all souls!

How great is our God, that He even allows us to enter into His passion and make our own suffering have eternal value!

This is a very deep and powerful post, puzzleannie, thank you. Immediately upon reading it I was overcome with tears. You are giving me much to contemplate, thank you. Many blessings!

Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger spoke with John Paul II and later said that the Pope’s suffering these days is another way of preaching.

The prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith contended that pain lived with Christ and with those who suffer is decisive for the Church and the world, which tries in vain to banish suffering.

“The example of a suffering Pope is very important and we have witnessed it in the last years: to suffer is a special way of preaching,” the cardinal explained on Vatican Radio’s German program, after meeting with the Pope at the Gemelli Polyclinic. The Holy Father is recovering from a tracheotomy operation.

“Because of the many letters they have sent me, as well as numerous direct testimonies, I have understood that many people who are suffering now feel that they are finally accepted,” added the dean of the College of Cardinals.

“The association of persons suffering from Parkinson’s wrote me to thank the Pope, as it helps patients to rehabilitate, so to speak, their image, as the Holy Father has the courage to appear in public as a person who suffers and continues working,” he said.

“John Paul II has communicated many things to us through his suffering: that suffering is a phase in life’s journey and that he shares in the passion of Jesus Christ,” Cardinal Ratzinger added.

In this way, it can be fruitful “when we share it with the Lord and live it with all those who suffer in the world,” he continued. "Suffering takes on great value and can be something positive.

"If we take into account the Pope’s activity and life, we understand that this is an important message, especially in a world which tends to conceal or do away with pain, which cannot be eliminated.

zenit.org/english/
Code: ZE05030104
Date: 2005-03-01
He’s Preaching With His Suffering, Says Cardinal Ratzinger

Thank you, Puzzleannie, for your beautiful reflection!
I recall an earlier post of yours about mental suffering (depression), so you know very well what you are talking about, and have found the way to make your sufferings fruitful.
Alas for some of us, it’s not easy to remember to do this!

40.png
puzzleannie:
Exceptionally holy people have throughout Christian history exhibited on their own hands and feet the marks of Christ’s crucifixion as a sign of their spiritual union with His suffering and redemptive sacrifice. These include St Francis, Padre Pio but also other suffering souls who not only have the visible marks but endure the physical pains of those wounds.

I would suggest this phenomenon is not only a sign of the holiness of the subject (when it is genuine) but the suffering is actually the route to holiness traveled by the subject. I would further suggest that any Christian who suffers physical or psychic affliction (which means every Christian since this is a suffering world) can, to the degree he identifies with and aspires to union with the suffering Christ on the cross, experience the stigmata. And that this experience of union with Christ is the route to holiness and increase in virtue.

when I received carpal tunnel therapy, my doctor who is interested in the topic, told me the nerve damage, pain and other effects are similar to that experienced by Christ when the nails pierced his wrists.

meditating on the crucifix tonite after communion, I saw that the sculptor has succeeded in depicting the muscle spasm and contortion of the feet caused by the nail. This spasm is familiar in a lesser degree to anyone who has a severe Morton’s neuroma. Anyone with hernia, gallbladder disease, kidney stone or suffering pancreatic or liver cancer knows about the piercing pain in the side. Migraine sufferers can identify with the crowning with thorns.

the quadraplegic or otherwise helpless one, paralyzed and confined to bed or wheel chair knows the helplessness Christ experienced on the Cross.

Those who suffer mockery for their beliefs, those mistreated in prison and those convicted and jailed unjustly know about the scourging. Those who have been abused by priests and others charged with their care know bitterly what it is to be betrayed by a Judas.

We all bear the wounds of the stigmata to a greater or lesser degree, but fail to recognize these wounds, scars and sufferings as means allowed by God to bring us into union with Christ. While there is nothing wrong, and much that is good in praying for healing, asking for the sacraments of healing, and seeking competent medical help for curable ailments, we must not forget the value of consecrating the many incurable ills and failings of life and aging, by uniting them by act of will to the Cross.
Hmmmm…interesting.

I used to work at Wal-Mart cashiering and ended up suffering with torn cartilage and a loose ligament in my left wrist (my, oh my, this was painful!) and to make things worse, the management thought I was faking it (I suffered other things too while working there…everyone there practifcally hated me!) and treated me like garbage! I had surgery on my wrist (a small surgery where they didn’t cut open my skin but put 4 holes on my wrist) and had to go to therapy, etc. and this was two years ago…I still have 4 scars on my left wrist. Does this have something to do with this topic too if that’s what you’re saying?

Thank you puzzleannie for this insightful post and Hagia Sophia for the further commentary!

Brother Rich SFO has a Web site with a few pages on redemptive suffering. If he is reading this, it would be nice if he could link us again to it. Also, the Popes letter on Redemptive Suffering is arguably the deepest piece of theological writing I have ever laid my eyes on (apart from Holy Scripture, of course).

Grace and peace,
Gene

Gene C.:
Thank you puzzleannie for this insightful post and Hagia Sophia for the further commentary!
I found these comments in a very interesting article called Paradoxical Pope:

“Even with his weakness, his sickness – even more because he is sick – the pope is perceived as a very real human being”, said Marazziti of Sant’Egidio, which operates in more than 60 countries…"

“It is as if we are in a new stage of his presence in the world, not so much with his words and teaching, on which some disagree, but through an incredible suffering. Somehow everybody can see his father, her father or grandfather [in the pope], and a feeling of solidarity with all those who are sick is spreading all around the world”…

Fausto Bertinotti, leader of Italy’s Refoundation Communists party and outspoken critic of the pope, said last week that if the pontiff failed to regain his voice due to his illness – he had undergone a tracheotomy – the loss will be felt around the world.
“I say this as a non-believer. At this time of dialogue between the civilizations, we would miss the pope’s voice”, Bertinotti told a party meeting.

mmorning.com/ArticleC.asp?Article=2261&CategoryID=7
Brother Rich SFO has a Web site with a few pages on redemptive suffering. If he is reading this, it would be nice if he could link us again to it.
Yes and if he’s reading here, I add my request to your own.

This website has a sample chapter of a book on redemptive suffering:

www.johnfdowns.com

John was a quadriplegic for about 40 years (which is really unheard of – many with his degree of injury are lucky to make it 10 years). He learned a lot during his difficult life about the value of suffering.

I have read both the autobiography “Why” and his pamphlet on suffering. They are both wonderful!

Annie
Thanks for your meditation. I have wondered during a migraine how the stigmatists handled their suffering. I do know that they probably do a better job than I . However, since I have finally learned about redemptive suffering, I offer it up and hope that I do some good for the greater glory of God.

40.png
Mamamull:
Annie
Thanks for your meditation. I have wondered during a migraine how the stigmatists handled their suffering. I do know that they probably do a better job than I . However, since I have finally learned about redemptive suffering, I offer it up and hope that I do some good for the greater glory of God.
migraines played a direct role in my spiritual growth (to the extent that I have made any progress in that direction). I used to get them so badly, as often as 3 times a week, progressing to the point of total incapacity, and even hospitalization for 72 hour sieges. Through counselling and witness of other sufferers in my small faith group, I came to see that God allowed these attacks because they forced me to slow down, stop fruitless pursuits and intense seeking after achievement in endeavors that had no lasting value. When I realized these times flat on my back in a dark room were the perfect opportunity for the prayer of surrender I was slowly introduced to mindless prayer beyond meditation or any effort of my own. for months, even years I meditated on the 3rd sorrowful mystery, even when I could not articulate the Hail Marys, I just became there with Jesus at the crowning with thorns. Once i was able to surrender my will, strength, achievements, all endeavors to God’s will the roadblocks began to clear up of themselves and I slowly learned to pray.

ps as a practical note, I was able to manage migraines somewhat by allergy elimination diet and keeping track of what was going on with work, stress, exposures to triggers etc, and very low dosage of nortryptaline (sp?) but they did not clear up until surgical menopause.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back