StPatrick's Breastplate Prayer

• Thread starter Thread starter BarbaraTherese
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BarbaraTherese

Hi out there - Barb on the line…

Would anyone have a copy or be able to direct me to a website where I could obtain a copy of St. Patrick’s Breastplate…the prayer of St. Patrick…much appreciated if someone could help me…

Thanks
Barb
1842hrs

Traditional Prayer

I bind unto myself today the strong Name of the Trinity, by invocation of the same, the Three in One and One in Three.

I bind this day to me forever, by power of faith, Christ’s incarnation; His baptism in the Jordan River; His death on the cross for my salvation; His bursting from the spiced tomb; His riding up the heavenly way; His coming on the day of doom; I bind unto myself today.

I bind unto myself the power of the great love of Cherubim; the sweet “Well done” in judgment hour; the service of the Seraphim, Confessors’ faith, Apostles’ word, the Patriarchs’ prayers, the Prophets’ scrolls; all good deeds done unto the Lord, and purity of simple souls.

I bind unto myself today the virtues of the starlit heaven, the glorious sun’s life-giving ray, the whiteness of the moon at even, the flashing of the lightning free, the whirling wind’s tempestuous shocks, the stable earth, the deep salt sea, around the old eternal rocks.

I bind unto myself today the power of God to hold and lead, his eye to watch, his might to stay, his ear to hearken to my need. The wisdom of my God to teach, his hand to guide, his shield to ward; the Word of God to give me speech, his heavenly host to be my guard. Against the demon snares of sin, the vice that gives temptation force, the natural lusts that war within, the hostile ones that mar my course; or few or many, far or nigh, in every place, and in all hours, against their fierce hostility, I bind to me these holy powers. Against all Satan’s spells and wiles, against false words of heresy, against the knowledge that defiles, against the heart’s idolatry, against the wizard’s evil craft, against the death wound and the burning, the choking wave and poisoned shaft, protect me Christ, till your returning.

Christ be with me, Christ within me, Christ behind me, Christ before me, Christ beside me, Christ to win me, Christ to comfort and restore me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me, Christ in quiet, Christ in danger, Christ in hearts of all that love me, Christ in mouth of friend and stranger.

I bind unto myself the Name, the strong Name of the Trinity; by invocation of the same: The Three in One, and One in Three, of whom all nature has creation: Eternal Father, Spirit, Word, praise to the Lord of my salvation, salvation is of Christ the Lord. Amen.

Contemporary Prayer

I arise today through a mighty strength, the invocation of the Trinity, through belief in the Threeness, through confession of the Oneness of the Creator of creation.

I arise today through the strength of Christ with his Baptism, through the strength of His Crucifixion with His Burial through the strength of His Resurrection with His Ascension, through the strength of His descent for the Judgment of Doom.

I arise today through the strength of the love of Cherubim in obedience of Angels, in the service of the Archangels, in hope of resurrection to meet with reward, in prayers of Patriarchs, in predictions of Prophets, in preachings of Apostles, in faiths of Confessors, in innocence of Holy Virgins, in deeds of righteous men.

I arise today, through the strength of Heaven; light of Sun, brilliance of Moon, splendor of Fire, speed of Lightning, swiftness of Wind, depth of Sea, stability of Earth, firmness of Rock.

I arise today, through God’s strength to pilot me: God’s might to uphold me, God’s wisdom to guide me, God’s eye to look before me, God’s ear to hear me, God’s word to speak for me, God’s hand to guard me, God’s way to lie before me, God’s shield to protect me, God’s host to secure me: against snares of devils, against temptations of vices, against inclinations of nature, against everyone who shall wish me ill, afar and anear, alone and in a crowd.

I summon today all these powers between me (and these evils): against every cruel and merciless power that may oppose my body and my soul, against incantations of false prophets, against black laws of heathenry, against false laws of heretics, against craft of idolatry, against spells of witches, smiths and wizards, against every knowledge that endangers man’s body and soul. Christ to protect me today against poisoning, against burning, against drowning, against wounding, so that there may come abundance in reward.

Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me, Christ in me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me, Christ on my right, Christ on my left, Christ in breadth, Christ in length, Christ in height, Christ in the heart of every man who thinks of me, Christ in the mouth of every man who speaks of me, Christ in every eye that sees me, Christ in every ear that hears me.

I arise today through a mighty strength, the invocation of the Trinity, through belief in the Threeness, through confession of the Oneness of the Creator of creation. Salvation is of the Lord. Salvation is of the Lord. Salvation is of Christ. May Thy Salvation, O Lord, be ever with us. Amen.

BarbaraTherese,

Are these the ones you wanted?
I prefer the traditional…its much more poetic. If you’re planning on saying it aloud, it sounds much better.

Pax Vobiscum!

40.png
Isidore_AK:
BarbaraTherese,

Are these the ones you wanted?
I prefer the traditional…its much more poetic. If you’re planning on saying it aloud, it sounds much better.

Pax Vobiscum!
Hello there Isidore_AK:) …thank you for your very prompt response. I’m copying all three from your post into Word and then printing them…Yes! I will be saying it aloud, so I’ll pick out which one has appeal…thank you for the trouble you have gone to…God Bless!

Thanks again -
Barb
Bethany South Aust
Saturday 16th. April 2005
1932 hrs.

I knew about the “Lorica of St Patrick”, which is apparently the contemporary “breastplate” prayer, but now that I’ve read the traditional version I’ll be saying that one instead! It’s beautiful! :love:

Btw, Barb… the forums tell me that you can’t receive PMs… dunno if you wanna do something about that, I’d think perhaps yes? 😛

40.png
Cradle:
I knew about the “Lorica of St Patrick”, which is apparently the contemporary “breastplate” prayer, but now that I’ve read the traditional version I’ll be saying that one instead! It’s beautiful! :love:

Btw, Barb… the forums tell me that you can’t receive PMs… dunno if you wanna do something about that, I’d think perhaps yes? 😛
Hi there again, Cradle…

Yes, I tend to agree that I like the traditional version…probably conditioning, since that is the version I am most familiar with. It is a beautiful prayer, isn’t it. I have a special lean towards St. Patrick, not only because I do have some Irish blood, but because I always wear a silver Celtic Cross on a leather thong …and Celtic for a reason. Also, I have a beautiful poem here called "Pengua Bea and Her Cat " and also an exquisite CD (all these amongst other things Celtic) called ‘Daughters of The Celtic Moon’ - no vocals…harp, violin and flute.

Yes, I know I have blocked Private Messages…no problems there, Cradle…thanks anyway…

Love in The Fraternity of The Lord
Regards
Barb…Bethany, Sth. Aust.
Sunday,17th. April, 2005
1805hrs.

Here is a Celtic Prayer…St Patrick christianized the Celts and in a very unique way for his time - visionary…

God bless to me this new day
never vouchsafed to me before
It is to bless thine own presence
Thou has given triumph God
Thus bless thou to me
mine eye

And may mine eye bless all it sees
I will bless my neighbour
And may my neighbour bless me -
God, give me a clean heart
and let me not
from sight of Thine eye

Bless to me my children and mine wife

And bless to me
My means
And my cattle

(Translation: A Carmichael )

Regards
Barb, Bethany Place…Sth. Aust.
Sunday 17th. April, 2005
2142hrs

Try googling “lorica”…I found several versions online. New Advent had a very complete version w/ more info on St Patrick.

40.png
Zooey:
Try googling “lorica”…I found several versions online. New Advent had a very complete version w/ more info on St Patrick.
Hi again Zooey 👋 -
Thank you for the info:) …putting it into my Word reference files…especially interested in New Advent and more info on St. Patrick!..oft it is the obvious that escapes one!..

Regards
Barb…Bethany…South Aust.
Mon.18th. April 2005… 9.54pm

(Gaelic)

Atomriug indiu niurt tréun:
togairm Trindóit
faístin Oendatad,
i nDúlemon dáil.
Atomriug indiu
niurt gene Críst cona bathius,
niurt a chrochtho cona adnacul,
niurt a essérgi cona fhresgabáil,
niurt a thoíniudo fri brithemnas mbrátho.

Atomriug indiu
niurt gráid hiruphin,
i n-aurlataid aingel,
i frestul inna n-archaingel,
i freiscisin esséirgi
ar chiunn fochraicce,
i n-ernaigthib uasalathrach,
i tairchetlaib fáithe,
i preceptaib apstal,
i n-iresaib foísmedach,
i n-enccai noebingen,
i ngnímaib fer firén.

Atomriug indiu
niurt nime,
soilsi gréne,
étrochtai éscai,
áni thened,
déni lóchet,
luaithi gaíthe,
fudomnai mara,
tairismigi thalman,
cobsaidi ailech.

Atomriug indiu
niurt Dé dom luamairecht.
Cumachtae nDé dom chumgabáil,
ciall Dé dom inthús,
rose nDé dom remcisiu,
cluas Dé dom étsecht,
briathar Dé dom erlabrai,
lám Dé dom imdegail,
intech Dé dom remthechtas,
sciath Dé dom imdítin,
sochraite Dé dom anacul
ar intledaib demnae,
ar aslagib dualche,
ar forimthechtaib aicnid,
ar cech duine mídúthrastar dam,
i céin ocus i n-ocus,
i n’uathud ocus i sochaidi.

Tocuiriur etrum indiu inna uili nert-so
fri cech nert n-amnas n-étrocar frista-i dom churp ocus dom anmain,
fri tinchetla sa-ibfh-aithe,
fri dubrechtu gentliuchtae,
fri saíbrechtu heretecdae,
fri imchellacht n-ídlachtae,
fri brichtu ban ocus goban ocus druad,
fri cech fiss arachuille corp ocus anmain duini.

Crist dom imdegail indiu
ar neim, ar loscud, ar bádud, ar guin,
condom-thair ilar fochraicce.

**Críst limm, Críst reum, **
Críst im degaid,
**Críst indium, Críst ísum, **
Críst uasum,
Críst desum, Críst tuathum,

**Críst i llius, Críst i sius, **
Críst i n-erus,
Críst i cridiu cech duini immumrorda,
Críst i ngin cech oín rodom-labrathar,
Críst i cech rusc nonom-dercathar,
Críst i cech cluais rodom-chloathar.

Atomriug indiu niurt tréun:
togairm Trindóit,
cretim Treodatad,
faístin Oendatad,
i nDúlemon dáil.

Domini est salus,
Domini est salus,
Christi est salusñ
salus tua, Domine, sit semper nobiscum.

(English)
I bind unto myself today
The strong Name of the Trinity,
By invocation of the same
The Three in One and One in Three.
I bind this today to me forever
By power of faith, Christ’s incarnation;
His baptism in Jordan river,
His death on Cross for my salvation;
His bursting from the spicèd tomb,
His riding up the heavenly way,
His coming at the day of doom
I bind unto myself today.

I bind unto myself the power
Of the great love of cherubim;
The sweet ‘Well done’ in judgment hour,
The service of the seraphim,
Confessors’ faith, Apostles’ word,
The Patriarchs’ prayers, the prophets’ scrolls,
All good deeds done unto the Lord
And purity of virgin souls.

I bind unto myself today
The virtues of the star lit heaven,
The glorious sun’s life giving ray,
The whiteness of the moon at even,
The flashing of the lightning free,
The whirling wind’s tempestuous shocks,
The stable earth, the deep salt sea
Around the old eternal rocks.

I bind unto myself today
The power of God to hold and lead,
His eye to watch, His might to stay,
His ear to hearken to my need.
The wisdom of my God to teach,
His hand to guide, His shield to ward;
The word of God to give me speech,
His heavenly host to be my guard.

Against the demon snares of sin,
The vice that gives temptation force,
The natural lusts that war within,
The hostile men that mar my course;
Or few or many, far or nigh,
In every place and in all hours,
Against their fierce hostility
I bind to me these holy powers.

Against all Satan’s spells and whiles,
Against false words of heresy,
Against the knowledge that defiles,
Against the heart’s idolatry,
Against the wizard’s evil craft,
Against the death wound and the burning,
The choking wave, the poisoned shaft,
Protect me, Christ, till Thy returning.

**Christ be with me, **
Christ within me,
**Christ behind me, **
Christ before me,
**Christ beside me, **
Christ to win me,
Christ to comfort and restore me.

**Christ beneath me, **
Christ above me,
**Christ in quiet, **
Christ in danger,
Christ in hearts of all that love me,
Christ in mouth of friend and stranger.

I bind unto myself the Name,
The strong Name of the Trinity,
By invocation of the same,
The Three in One and One in Three.
By Whom all nature hath creation,
Eternal Father, Spirit, Word:
Praise to the Lord of my salvation,
Salvation is of Christ the Lord.

St. Patrick’s Profession of faith in the Trinity

(English)
There is no other God,
there never was and there never will be,
than God the Father
unbegotten and without beginning,
from whom all is beginning,
holding all things as we have learned;
and his son Jesus Christ
whom we declare
to have been always with the Father
and to have been begotten spiritually by the Father
in a way that baffles description,
before the beginning of the wrold,
before all beginning;
and through him are made all things, visible and invisible.

He was made man,
defeated death
and was received into heaven by the Father,
who has given all power over all names
in heaven, on earth, and under the earth;
and every tongue should acknowledge to him
that Jesus Christ is the Lord God.
we believe in him
and we look for his coming soon
as judge of the living and the dead,
who will treat every man according to his deeds.
He has poured out the Holy Spirit on us in abundance,
the gift and guarantee of eternal life,
who makes those who believe and obey
sons of God and joint heirs with Christ.
We acknowledge and adore him
as one God in the Trinity of the holy name.

(Gaelic)
Níl Dia ar bith eile ann,
ni raibh riamh agus ní bheidh a choíche,
ach amháin Dia ánAthair
gan ghiniúint gan tús,
ar uaidh gach tús,
ar leis gach ní mar a d’fhoghlamaíomar;
agus a mhac Íosa Críost
a dhearbhaímid
a bhí I gcónaí leis an Athair
agus a gineadh ón Athair go spioradálta
ar dhóigh dho-inste
ó thús an domhain,
roimh an uile thosach;
agus is tríd a dhé antar gach ní, fheichthe agus dofheicthe.

Rinneadh duine de,
sháraigh sé an bás
agus thug an tAthair isteach ins na flaithis é,
thug sé dó achan chumhact os cionn gach uile ainm
ar neamh, ar talamh, agus faoin talamh;
agus admhaíodh gach duine dó
gurb é Íosa Críost an Tiarna Dia.
Creidimid ann
agus táimid ag súil lena theacht gan mhoill
mar bhreitheamh ar bheo agus ar mharibh,
le cúiteamh a thabhairt de réir a ngníomhartha.
Dháil sé an Spiorad Naomh go fairsing orainn,
bronntanas agus geall na beatha síoraí,
a dhéanann clannmhac Dé agus comhoidhrí le Críost
díobh siúd a chreideann agus atá umhal dó.
Dearbhaímid agus adhraímid é
mar an t-aon Dia amháin I dTríonóid an ainm naofa.

The Meeting of Saint Patrick with Ethna and Fedelma (Ethenea and Fidelmia, comm. 11th January)​

This retelling of the meeting between Patrick and the two young girls is from Muirchu’s 7th century Life of Saint Patrick:

On his missionary travels, Saint Patrick came to Rathcroghan near Tulsk. At the well of Clebach beside Cruachan (probably today’s Tobercrogheer) he pauses for a rest.

While Patrick and his clerics are assembled at the well, two royal
maidens, fair Ethne and red-haired Fedelma, come to wash their hands. These two daughters of Loeghaire (say: Leary) are being brought up in Connacht by the two wizards, the brothers Mael and Caplait. Surprised at the strange appearance of the monks and priests, the girls ask them who they are, and where they come from. Patrick replies that it were better for them to believe in the true God than to ask such questions.

Ethne then asks him:

What is God? Where is God. And of whom is God?
And where is God’s dwelling place?
Does your God have sons and daughters?
Has he gold and silver? Is he immortal?
Is he beautiful?
Have many people fostered his son?
Are his daughters beautiful and beloved of men?
Is he in heaven or on earth?
Or on the plain?
In what manner does he come to us?
In the mountains? In the glens?
Is he young or old?
Tell us of him, in what manner is he seen?

Filled with the Holy Spirit, Patrick answers them:

Our God is the God of all men, the God of Heaven and Earth,
of seas and rivers, of Sun and Moon and stars,
of high mountains and deep valleys,
the God over Heaven and in Heaven and on Earth,
and in the sea and in all that is therein.
He informs all these things, he brings life to all things,
he surpasses all things, he sustains all things.
He gives light to the Sun, and to the Moon by night.
He makes fountains in the dry land and islands in the seas,
and he sets the stars in their places.
He has a Son, co-eternal with himself and in his own likeness.
Neither is the Son younger than the Father,
nor the Father older than the Son.
And the Holy Spirit breathes in them.
The Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit cannot be divided.
In truth I wish to unite you to the Heavenly King,
you who until now are the daughters of an earthly king.
Believe!

With one voice and heart, the two girls answer: 'In what way can we believe in the Heavenly King? Instruct us most diligently so that we may see him face to face, inform us and whatever you tell us we will do."

They are then baptized, Patrick blesses the white veils over their
heads, and they beg to see the face of Christ. Patrick tells them that until they receive Communion and taste death, they cannot see Christ’s face. They reply: “Give us the Communion so that we may see the Son, our Bridegroom.”

They receive the Holy Eucharist and fall asleep in death. They are
wrapped together in one shroud, and are greatly bewailed by their
friends.

The Druid Caplait, the foster-father of one of the girls, comes to
Patrick lamenting. Patrick preaches to him and he, too, believes, and is baptized and tonsured. The other Druid, Caplait’s brother Mael, comes to Patrick to tell him that he will bring his brother back to the pagan creed, but Patrick preaches to Mael also, and he, too, is converted, and tonsured.

The period of mourning then being over, the bodies of Ethne and Fidelma are buried near the well of Clebach. A circular ditch is dug around the burial place, as is customary (Tirechan adds) among the inhabitants of Ireland.

from Muirchu’s Life of Saint Patrick
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Troparion of Ss Ethenia and Fidelmia Tone 5
O daughters of King Laoghaire and first-fruits of Patrick’s mission,/ most pious Ethenia and Fidelmia,/ you were blessed to receive the monastic veil from Ireland’s Enlightener./ Weeping and lamenting we call upon your charity./ Pray to Christ our God/ that He will raise up a new Patrick in our day,/ that we may be led into the Way of Salvation.

Kontakion of Ss Ethenia and Fidelmia Tone 4
Having been tonsured, O most pure and righteous virgins Ethenia and Fidelmia,/ you were found worthy to tarry in this vale of tears/ and to receive the Body and Blood of Christ, just once,/ before going to your eternal reward./ We chant your praises and implore Christ our God/ that, in the day of Judgment,/ He will not find us wanting.

These Lives are archived at:
groups.yahoo.com/group/celt-saints
¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

Fr Ambrose:

The Meeting of Saint Patrick with Ethna and Fedelma (Ethenea and Fidelmia, comm. 11th January)​

This retelling of the meeting between Patrick and the two young girls is from Muirchu’s 7th century Life of Saint Patrick:

These Lives are archived at:
groups.yahoo.com/group/celt-saints
¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤
Hello Fr. Ambrose…and good to meecha on The Board smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_144_4.gif …altho your name seems familiar so possibly I could have read some of your posts…

I haven’t quoted your Post #13 in full (apologies!) as it is one of those rare times in my life, I am targetting ‘brief’.
Firstly, thanks for the archive reference above and I will be putting the site in my files for ‘reading time’…

If anyone happens to know of a site that may refer specifically to how St. Patrick christianized the Celtic people I sure would be grateful!

Finally, Father, I absolutely adore your signature…I hope you don’t mind if it goes into my ‘quotes’ book. It has encouraged me since being ‘odd’ myself, perhaps it is not such a ‘being-ness’ to over ponder…has truth made me this way…well, I guess, God has made me this way, and God Is Truth …in that context I am peace with my oddness or what my doctor calls ‘distinct eccentricity’…what, after all, Father and all, is in a name…huh?..the reality simply is no matter what tag we give it…thanks for the info once again, Father.

Regards
Barb smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_1_200v.gif …Bethany Place…Sth Aust
Tue 19.4.05…2.32pm

…just a very quick PS.

When answering a post or referring to one, I try to remember to have a look at the person’s Public Profile…and for those who may be learning by trial and error (as for me, largely error! and probably the very best way to learn…oh yeah and I know I can be a trial!) …if you click onto the name at the top of the post you are answering etc. you will see how to access that person’s Public Profile.

Father Ambrose, I note that your signature did not appear on your Post #13above…I saw your signature when I had a look at your Public Profile… prior to my Post above #14.

For the benefit of the all…here is Father Ambrose’s Signature:

“The truth will make you odd. smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_12_2.gif
-Flannery O’Connor

Barb smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_1_20.gif
Bethany South Australia
Tue 19.4.05 3.00pm

…I’ll give you a ‘fer instance’ of reality…

a toddler for example sees an apple, and sees what is really there withoug lanugauge. Then Mum and Dad come along and teach him that that is ‘apple’…“Say apple, Billy”…

in psychological language, originally and prior to being taught that that is an apple, the child has ‘eidic perception’…which is most often lost as we grow and learn language and how to communicate with each other. We tend to look at an apple and say to ourselves more or less…“Oh it’s only an apple”; hence ceasing to see what is really there…

some however, retain eidic perception thru life…tho not many apparently.

And yes, mea maxima culpa, I am outside the subject of this thread and shall now go about what I should be going about instead of sitting at my desk…and give yer all some peace from me banter!.. When I was a child Mum would say to me: “Child, I swear you have swallowed a tape recorder!” smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_16_2.gif

Barb
Bethany Sth. Aust
Tue19.4.05… 3.22pm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back